Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

attacking enemy surface groups

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> attacking enemy surface groups Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
attacking enemy surface groups - 12/13/2008 2:21:58 PM   
tiemanjw

Forgive me again, but some more newbie questions:
I'm trying to attack an enemy surface group consisting of to DDs (Luda I's) and a DDG (Luyang). I attacked the Luyang from the side where the Ludas couldn't support it. I shot 16 harpoons and 2 HARMs while jamming the group with an EA6. 2 of the missles got close enough to be shot down by the close in weapons systems on the DDG (the rest were shot down by missiles). My question is, how should I approach this attack. Did I not use enough missiles? It seems like a lot of missiles to do nothing...

When attacking a surface group, should I:
launch all missiles from the same direction, or attack from multiple directions? I figured same direction so that I overload the defenses that can defend that section of the ship, but perhaps I'm missing something.

What direction(s) should I attack from. After the attack, I looked at his weapons, and it appears that this ship has half its SAMs that can't shoot forward, and half can't shoot backwards. The sides are double covered. Would attacking from the front help, or will he just turn.

How many missiles should I use? What about TLADs?

Should I attack in waves (and if so how). For example should I attack with HARMs first to try to hammer his radars, then launch the harpoons?

Finally, how does this compare with real life? Thanks for the help.
Post #: 1
RE: attacking enemy surface groups - 12/13/2008 7:19:14 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiemanj
Forgive me again, but some more newbie questions:

Absolutely, please do. That's why this forum exists. I'll try and tackle your questions.

quote:

I'm trying to attack an enemy surface group consisting of to DDs (Luda I's) and a DDG (Luyang). I attacked the Luyang from the side where the Ludas couldn't support it. I shot 16 harpoons and 2 HARMs while jamming the group with an EA6.

Firstly, I have to make some assumptions, namely: You're attacking the Luyang I (Type 052B) only and ignoring the Luda I's (except for your jamming, which is indiscriminate anyway). And the Chinese group is unsupported by other enemy assets, i.e. it doesn't enjoy friendly radar or air defense coverage from other sources.

quote:

2 of the missles got close enough to be shot down by the close in weapons systems on the DDG (the rest were shot down by missiles).

Which ones, Harpoon or HARM? The Luyang (052B) is a pretty modern warship, equipped with decent radars and air defense systems.

The SA-N-12 Grizzly SAM systems are single rail launchers, but they have a respectable rate of fire and a better than even chance (60%) of knocking down their target.

The Type 730 CIWS you mention are reported to be roughly comparable (in both appearance and performance) to the Goalkeeper system, and are even more likely than the SA-N-12 to shoot down your missiles (in the point defense phase). One kicker about the guns: the code presently ignores gun arcs, so both of those Type 730's would be available to defend against your missiles (even though they're mounted port and starboard), regardless of which side you made your attack.

Topping it off, the Luyang has decent chaff/flare decoy launchers to further reduce your missiles' hit probability.

quote:

My question is, how should I approach this attack. Did I not use enough missiles? It seems like a lot of missiles to do nothing... When attacking a surface group, should I: launch all missiles from the same direction, or attack from multiple directions? I figured same direction so that I overload the defenses that can defend that section of the ship, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Launching from multiple directions is only useful if you can exploit gaps in the formation or some limitation in the targeted ship's own defenses. You were keen enough to remove the Ludas (crappy as they are) from the equation, and given the well balanced nature of the Luyang's air defense systems, I'd say you pretty much maxed out what you could glean from attacking from multiple axes.

quote:

What direction(s) should I attack from. After the attack, I looked at his weapons, and it appears that this ship has half its SAMs that can't shoot forward, and half can't shoot backwards. The sides are double covered. Would attacking from the front help, or will he just turn.

This is a possibility, but the gap in the SA-N-12 missile arcs fore and aft is very small. I think in most cases you're pretty unlikely to evade the employment of both launchers.

quote:

How many missiles should I use?

A good rule of thumb is to calculate what you think you might need and then double it.

quote:

What about TLADs?

I always recommend saturating a target with decoys (like TALD or ITALD) if they're available, and always in conjunction with jamming, anti-radar missiles (like HARM) and the heavy stuff (like Harpoon). Generally speaking, you want your decoys arriving on target at the same time or a little ahead of your Harpoons (because the decoys are slower and you don't want your Harpoons to overtake them in the terminal phase of the attack). With any luck, the defending ship will use up a lot of its available rate of fire trying to shoot down the decoys.

quote:

Should I attack in waves (and if so how). For example should I attack with HARMs first to try to hammer his radars, then launch the harpoons?

Ideally, attack en masse and in force. Overwhelm the target by the simultaneous (or near simultaneous) arrival of jamming, decoys, anti-radar missiles and anti-ship missiles. Attacking a well defended target in waves usually means your attacks get shot down piecemeal (unless you have lots of time, missiles, and the means to deliver them in wave after wave). Remember, you only need one or two Harpoon hits to put the hurt on a destroyer.

quote:

Finally, how does this compare with real life? Thanks for the help.

I think its appreciably tougher in real life to shoot down anti-ship cruise missiles (like Harpoon) because of issues like clutter, ECCM, the potential for shipboard equipment breakdowns (though, admittedly, this can work both ways), and the 'human' factor (witness what happened to the INS Hanit). I also think small, high speed targets like HARM make for very tough targets indeed, and few air defense systems would be able to deal with them under most circumstances.

< Message edited by CV32 -- 12/13/2008 7:53:48 PM >

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 2
RE: attacking enemy surface groups - 12/15/2008 3:48:20 AM   
tiemanjw

Thanks for the response. Before you replied, I attacked his frontal arc with a pair of EA6s (4 HARMs), and scored a hit on a "weapons mount". A follow up attack with Harpoons (frontal arc again), finished him off. I attacked a second group with similar makeup, in a similar fassion, though this time I used TLADs. I did as you suggested and had the TLADs arrive just ahead of the Harpoons...after a few tries I managed to get the harpoons to land about 2 seconds after the TLADs, and that seemd to work perfectly.

You mention rate of fire. I hadn't though of this before, and am used to mostly AEGIS boats, which I image have a nearly infinate rate of fire. It appears that a lot of these boats have rails though. Is there a way to see what the rate of fire is in the game, or if not is there a good rule of thumb to take into account the effective range of the SAMs and a common rate of fire to figure out how many TLADs / missiles to use?

Finally, after that success some dang sub shot some missiles at my CVBG. I sent some S3s to soak the area with sonobouys, but I can't find him. He launched some more missiles that poped up right under my S3s in a field of sonobouys. Do those missles travel far underwater, or is he somehow hiding under the bouys. I have 3 helos (modern H60 varients) and 2 S3s right on top of where the missles keep comming out and a slow moving sub closing on the area. What is the best way to hunt this guy down? Thanks again for the help.

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 3
RE: attacking enemy surface groups - 12/15/2008 8:20:10 AM   
Maromak

quote:

I did as you suggested and had the TLADs arrive just ahead of the Harpoons...after a few tries I managed to get the harpoons to land about 2 seconds after the TLADs, and that seemd to work perfectly.

I admit that I haven't experimented with the TLADs much but I have usually decided not to use them on the basis that iirc most aircraft can only carry the same number of TLADs as Harpoons etc. I figure why not use warshots anyway. Is there more than meets the eye with the TLADs?

quote:

Finally, after that success some dang sub shot some missiles at my CVBG. I sent some S3s to soak the area with sonobouys, but I can't find him. He launched some more missiles that poped up right under my S3s in a field of sonobouys. Do those missles travel far underwater, or is he somehow hiding under the bouys. I have 3 helos (modern H60 varients) and 2 S3s right on top of where the missles keep comming out and a slow moving sub closing on the area.

Just checking but are you certain that the platforms were actually dropping sonobouys as these must be dropped manually outside of a 'formation'? (small polygon)

Certa Cito

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 4
RE: attacking enemy surface groups - 12/15/2008 12:36:28 PM   
CV32

quote:

You mention rate of fire. I hadn't though of this before, and am used to mostly AEGIS boats, which I image have a nearly infinate rate of fire. It appears that a lot of these boats have rails though. Is there a way to see what the rate of fire is in the game, or if not is there a good rule of thumb to take into account the effective range of the SAMs and a common rate of fire to figure out how many TLADs / missiles to use?

Glad it worked out for you on the second attempt. The Luyang (052B) does indeed have two single-rail launchers for its SA-N-12 system. If you call up the Platform Display during game play, select the Luyang and then go into Weapon Detail, you can have a look at the SA-N-12 more closely. You can see that each launcher has 24 ready-to-fire missiles (Qty), can engage three targets simultaneously (AIR/3), range 19.8 nm, and hit probability 60%. Rate of fire (ROF) is not shown here, but you can see it in the database using the Platform Editor (PE), and in this case ROF is 6 per turn.

There's no rule of thumb (except the rough "use twice what you think you need") as every target and situation is different. You might be able to calculate what is needed to overwhelm the Luyang (VitP could help ), but it is impossible to account for die rolls (hit and miss probabilities) exactly.

quote:

Finally, after that success some dang sub shot some missiles at my CVBG. I sent some S3s to soak the area with sonobouys, but I can't find him. He launched some more missiles that poped up right under my S3s in a field of sonobouys. Do those missles travel far underwater, or is he somehow hiding under the bouys. I have 3 helos (modern H60 varients) and 2 S3s right on top of where the missles keep comming out and a slow moving sub closing on the area. What is the best way to hunt this guy down? Thanks again for the help.

Sounds to me like you're already doing everything you can, if (as Maromak points out) your aircraft are actually dropping sonobuoys, in which case I assume you can see the polygons appearing on the Unit Map. Are your helos using dipping sonar to investigate gaps between sonobuoys? This missile sub may be sitting stationary between the fields, or moving very slowly. Or, is it possible that the missiles are emerging somewhere else, and they only seem to be popping up underneath you because that's where your aircraft are getting their first (visual) detection?

Brad Leyte
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 5
RE: attacking enemy surface groups - 12/15/2008 12:37:50 PM   
CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maromak
I admit that I haven't experimented with the TLADs much but I have usually decided not to use them on the basis that iirc most aircraft can only carry the same number of TLADs as Harpoons etc. I figure why not use warshots anyway. Is there more than meets the eye with the TLADs?

No magic at work with the TALDs (though I wish we could add jammers to them). In most cases, though, the loadouts have twice as many TALDs as they do actual Harpoons.

Brad Leyte
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Maromak)
Post #: 6
RE: attacking enemy surface groups - 12/15/2008 12:38:56 PM   
tiemanjw

The F18Es I'm using carry 4 TLADs or 2 Harpoons, so with TLADs I can send more targets at him to shoot down.

I am manually dropping sonobouys. In fact I found and killed one sub, but I know there is at least one more, and possibly 2 near by (long story, but in the end some missiles popped out after I killed the othe one, which is why I have so many assets right in the area).

(in reply to Maromak)
Post #: 7
RE: attacking enemy surface groups - 12/15/2008 4:16:45 PM   
Shark7

As has been said, if available throw some decoys (the TALDs) in there to overload the air defences.

If that is not possible be sure to move to a point where you can launch ALL missiles in 1 group.  The HARMs are faster and will get there quicker, but it will still help to overload the air defense.  Another thing you can do is not fire at max range, but wait until you are on the assumed edge of their air defense, as this decreases the response time of the ships.

Target the most missiles at the major AAW platform.  Overload it and force it to defend itself.  I usually put 2-4 missiles on all other contacts in hopes that some will leak through the AAW cover (this almost always happens) and you might sink 1 or 2 of the other ships in the formation in the process.

For example, if I set up the 'perfect' strike package I'd have 2-4 TALD carriers, 2-4, HARM carriers, and at least 10 carrying Harpoon.  The TALD and HARM I would split evenly between all 3 ships, but when it comes to the 20 harpoons, I'd put 4 each on the Luda's, and 12 on the Luyang.  This of course would be the ideal situation, I would have to adjust based on availability of aircraft and weapons of course.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 8
RE: attacking enemy surface groups - 12/16/2008 12:24:34 AM   
tiemanjw

Thanks again for the reply guys.  As for the sub launched missiles, I assumed that they were coming up there because I have good AWAC coverage, but I guess it is possible that the AWAC is having trouble spotting them until the get to this point (being that I assume they are flying "very low".  Prehaps I should send an E2 south and increase my radar coverage.  I know there are no gaps for a few mile radius from where the missiles were spotted, and most areas are double & tripple covered.
I guess I move from that point south, dropping sonobouys, and if the missles are indeed getting spotted by my radar there due to their "very low" flight profile, I assume following the missle trajectory back, I'll eventually get to the source.
You mention dipping sonar...is there a way to see if / force the helos to use it (or even have it)?
Also, is there a way to go active on this guy (from the airplanes, not surface ships)?  I assume the sonobouys and sonar are passive.
Finally, is thre a way to deny him targeting information?  I doubt he is using purly passive sonar, but probably getting targeting info from somewhere (though I can't image where, he has no aircraft any where near me - I hunt and attack them relentlessly and his closest surface group is over 100 nm away), or using bearing only launches and firing at my radars.  If that is the case he must be sticking something up over the waves...can I sense that with radar (or something), and if so how close do I need to be?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
Harpoon Classic Scenarios - 12/16/2008 1:08:04 AM   
hermanhum

quote:

You mention dipping sonar...is there a way to see if / force the helos to use it (or even have it)?

You can check your aircraft with the Unit display. Click on the Unit in the Unit window and then either Full or Display for information to see what sensors that unit has.

The helos with active sonar will turn it on automatically when they hover at VLow altitude. You can turn on the Active Sonar range ring in your Range Circle menu, if you like.

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 10
RE: Harpoon Classic Scenarios - 12/16/2008 4:48:51 AM   
VictorInThePacific

quote:

(from CV32)

There's no rule of thumb (except the rough "use twice what you think you need") as every target and situation is different. You might be able to calculate what is needed to overwhelm the Luyang (VitP could help ), but it is impossible to account for die rolls (hit and miss probabilities) exactly.

Ah well.

I am not familiar with that ship, but ...

Figure out at what range it starts launching defensive missiles. It may be the maximum launcher range, or maybe less. You may have to run some tests and watch.

How fast does the anti-ship missile fly? Calculate the time to target based on this number and the defensive missile system range.

What is the launch rate of the defensive missile system? Brad shows how to get that, or you could watch the missile launch animation. Generally the ship launches a bunch of missiles and then must wait a certain length of time (I call it launcher cycle time).

Now you know how many defensive missiles get launched. What is thier kill probability? Multiply these 2 numbers to get the AVERAGE number of missiles shot down. Bear in mind that there might be some percent modifiers. I don't know what these might be.

Also consider what the ship's guns might shoot down.

Some of the attacking missiles might miss (that's why they call them missiles !).

How many hits are needed to kill that ship with that missile, not considering critical hits?

Some (hypothetical) numbers:

The Harpoon travels at about 600 kn (inaccurate), or 10 nm per 60 s, or 120 s for 20 nm. Assuming a cycle time of 30 s (check this), the ship will fire 4 batches. Each batch kills about 3.5 Harpoons. With these (inaccurate) numbers, you're not expecting any hits!

Of course, a lucky HARM hit might render the ship defenseless, but while a HARM flies faster than a Harpoon, it flies higher, so more missile systems might be able to target it. However, I feel that a HARM is more likely to get through.

Also see my AAR (GIUK #2, esp. notes to original post), where I calculate some numbers which were correct for that set of rules, although the details of the rules are different today.

< Message edited by VictorInThePacific -- 12/16/2008 4:59:20 AM >

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 11
RE: Harpoon Classic Scenarios - 12/16/2008 2:18:15 PM   
CV32

Thanks, VitP. I knew we could count on you to tackle the math.

Brad Leyte
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to VictorInThePacific)
Post #: 12
RE: attacking enemy surface groups - 12/17/2008 1:36:59 AM   
VictorInThePacific

One more comment about the original question:

It may not be necessary to completely saturate the air defense of the target. Depending on exactly what weapons are in play, it may be possible to exploit weaknesses in the 3-dimensional air defense of the target. See my post in Mack's AAR (GIUK, Fortress Keflavik, Soviet) for an example of this.

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 13
RE: attacking enemy surface groups - 12/17/2008 1:01:53 PM   
VictorInThePacific

I would like to expand on tiemanj's original question, incorporating some previous ideas from this forum, and some new ones.

One of my primary objectives in an airstrike is to minimize my own airplane casualties. I'm sure that the pilots will appreciate this concern. I consider a casualty rate of zero acceptable.

The best way to ensure zero casualties in my attacking force is to attack with stand-off weapons, i.e. never give the enemy any shots whatsoever.

This is not so hard to accomplish in game terms. For example, I can just keep whittling away at the target with Orions/Harpoons.

People will object, and rightly so, that this is a very unrealistic tactic. That's not REALLY what an Orion is supposed to do, and you probably don't have enough Harpoons in real life. Furthermore, there may be ordnance restrictions and large ready times in the game to restrict this tactic.

So now I am experimenting with the additional objective of minimizing the amount of ordnance used, and using only what is available.

As mentioned above, the defensive systems may have altitude restrictions as well as range restrictions, so there may be holes in the 3-dimensional airspace around the target.

A specific example is being considered in Mack's AAR, referred to above, where a detailed discussion is raging.

The main general point, and this is somewhat opposed to the specific calculation I have done above, is that you may not need to saturate the target group's defenses completely, which means you will need less attacking ordnance.

If the defensive systems have a low fire rate, then probably a general saturation approach is the best. But if the fire rate is high, this will require a lot of attacking ordnance.

What will always be required is to use up or saturate the area defense. For example, if you are facing 50 or 100 Grumbles, you will at a minimum need to bring 25 or 50 units of ordnance (on average). These can be anything at all; they will all be shot down. If you are paying for the ordnance, use the cheapest thing you have. Oh, and THESE ONES had better be stand-off weapons.

After that, there may be holes in the 3-dimensional airspace around the target group. For example, some defensive systems may not be able to track missiles at VL altitude. Thus some ships may now be helpless against Harpoons. (Not considering guns or misses.)

On the other hand, some defensive systems, such as the SA-N-4 Gecko, may not track high-altitude targets. The bombers could now safely approach these ships quite closely at high altitude. But stay away from the guns!

Finally, if you have ordnance that flies in at high altitude, such as something with a ballistic course, launched from high, you may be able to pick off certain ships using a very small amount of ordnance. The defensive system essentially gets no shots.

This will all depend on the target group formation. To avoid the situation I am describing, I generally put all my ships within a few miles of each other, so that each ship is covered by the defensive systems of many other ships, and everything is in the main body, so they stay where I want them. Please don't nuke me !

Of course, I have assumed that I have air superiority during this attack, yada, yada.

< Message edited by VictorInThePacific -- 12/17/2008 1:43:16 PM >

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> attacking enemy surface groups Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI