Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So Which One?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> So Which One? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So Which One? - 12/29/2008 5:26:45 PM   
roth

First, please forgive me for posting this in all three ACW game forums (GGWBTS, FOF and AGEOD) but I wanted to get responses from readers who may not visit any particular one of these.

I own all three games, but so far have played none, and I'd welcome recommendations on which to try first. Each game looks like it has its own take on the war as well as its own charms.

I would probably play the Confederacy against the AI, at least initially (unless there was some consensus that, for the recommended game, starting as the Union would be preferable for learning.) If I invest as much time in a game as any of these seems to require, I'd like to have at least a reasonable hope of winning. If the war goes on for any length, I assume this would mean either winning foreign support for the CSA or slowing down the Union advances long enough to cause Lincoln to lose the 1864 election.

At first I was leaning toward FOF, largely because of the ability to fight tactical battles. After reading AARs, however, it looks like FOF produces lots of frequent, large battles -- far more than occurred historically. Not that this wouldn't be fun, but in general my preference would be for the game that more closely models historical limitations and constraints, so that the decisions I make would tend to produce the same results as might have occurred historically had the actual politicians and commanders in those circumstances made the same decisions.

Also as a result of reading the comments in these forums, it seems that GGWBTS may have marginally more complications inherent in the program -- more i's and t's that have to be dotted or crossed to make things work the way you intend. Each of the games seems to have its share of these, so my perception may be wrong about WBTS, but that's a negative for me with any of the games.

I hope eventually to play each of them, but I'd appreciate your comments on where to start.
Post #: 1
RE: So Which One? - 12/30/2008 2:20:10 AM   
geozero

Just play.

JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.

(in reply to roth)
Post #: 2
RE: So Which One? - 12/30/2008 7:54:48 AM   
Arsan

Hi!

This forum don't have many posters.
Probably you woudl get better answers at the official forum game at AGEOD, which have plenty of posters
http://www.ageod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

In any case, even if i woudl have played all three games (which is not the case ) it would be hard to take that decision for you.
They are your games and your free time and other people tastes can be very different from yours. As you have them all, just give a try to each of them and continue playing the one that appeals more to you!
For what i have experienced or read, all three games are very good. Great news for ACW gamers!
And all three are pretty complex, so you will need to spend some time learning.

Regards!

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 3
RE: So Which One? - 12/30/2008 11:58:58 AM   
GShock

I don't get it, you buy games for charity? Go play, if you don't see it by yourself how can you say? 

FOF has a whole range of settings where you can, among the many, choose the amount of POPs available and in this case you could reduce the manpower even if for just one of the two sides. It's something you don't know because u haven't played it.

I think u'll soon discover that all 3 games are great and each is different from the other and worth playing for long time.

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 4
RE: So Which One? - 12/30/2008 8:06:13 PM   
geozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan

Hi!

Probably you woudl get better answers at the official forum game at AGEOD, which have plenty of posters

Really? Are you sure about that?

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 5
RE: So Which One? - 12/30/2008 8:27:42 PM   
Arsan

quote:

ORIGINAL: geozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan

Hi!

Really? Are you sure about that?

Hmmm... yes, i'm sure about it. Much more people posting there than here (AACW subforum) and it's a really friendly and helpful community.
Not sure what you mean...

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 6
RE: So Which One? - 12/30/2008 8:53:58 PM   
geozero

I suppose since it's their product... but I see many posts there with zero responses or only a few replies.  But the OP said he had three games, and wanted a general consensus on which to play first.  I think his post here would make more sense since Matrix sells all three of the games he bought versus going to the AGEod forum where they only sell their game.    I'm still waiting on a reply to a post I did there days ago.  Even sent PM to them but nothing.  Hopefully they can reply...

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 7
RE: So Which One? - 12/30/2008 10:38:01 PM   
Arsan

Hi
Roth asked about this on the three games subforums here, i suppose to get answers and opinions by players of the three games.
I just wanted to point to him, that while FoF and GGWBTS Matrix forums are their main, most active and official forums, this is not the case with AACW.
This subforum has little activity (295 post), and i'm pretty sure that posting on the AGEOD AACW subforum (+ 4000 posts) will net him more answers from AACW players.
Regards

(in reply to geozero)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray >> So Which One? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI