Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Getting past the first map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Getting past the first map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting past the first map - 1/6/2009 4:03:32 PM   
warguppy

If this has been covered before I apologize. I did a search and didn't find an answer to my question in the threads listed.

I am having a problem advancing past the first map (obviously). In the map I have killed everyone that has their name in red. Unfortunatelly most of teh blues were killed also 9including Charles). The guy in the hut at the middle south end of the map I talked to and got his message to take his car. I exited the map when I got the message that all were dead but I can't get to any other maps. No missions show up for them. Perhaps I'm missing some step I need to do either in the tactical map or the global one. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/6/2009 6:20:06 PM   
Joram

After you complete this map you should see two more zones, one a roadblock and the other, safari. When you click on one you should see a jeep icon to the lower left of the zone icon, click on that to travel there (You should be able to skip the roadblock if you got the pass off the officer near the brokedown jeep). Then, you simply enter the area by clicking the crossed swords (or crossed rifles, whatever they are).

(in reply to warguppy)
Post #: 2
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/6/2009 9:20:34 PM   
warguppy

Ok I see how to get my mercs from one area to the other but it would seem I haven't finished something in the first map since I have no other missions anywhere else... I killed all the guys with red names, bribed charles and his buddies to leave and got the car from the guy in the hut to the south. What am I missing?

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. then it's just fun.

(in reply to warguppy)
Post #: 3
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/6/2009 9:40:53 PM   
R@S

When you get the car that map is finished. In the notes you get they tell you to go to the Safari map and rescue a guy. Go there and tell them to let him go. Then you can coose to kill the marauders or the civilian, depending on what path you plan to take.

(in reply to warguppy)
Post #: 4
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/6/2009 9:56:38 PM   
Joram

Try reading your email and your journal. It should say go rescue some guy at the Safari (or something similar).

(in reply to R@S)
Post #: 5
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/7/2009 1:51:02 AM   
warguppy

Nothing in the journal other than some comment about money solving my problems. It says I now have a jeep so I can go on to the main mission but it doesn't say what the main mission is. And the emails are just info on the Diamond Coast or whatever the country is called.

As a side note it took 3 loads of the game before any equipment other than pistols initially would show up in Dickey's store so i wonder if I'm bugged...

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 6
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/7/2009 12:42:18 PM   
Joram

No, you're not bugged, initial weapon selection is really crappy.  There is a fine mod by Reinforce though if you want to change it.  Check the mods section.

As far as missions, there is no mission log per se, you have to read your emails and journals closely.  You should have an email from Janus (or whatever his name is) telling you you need to go save this guy out on Safari.  And that's it. 

(in reply to warguppy)
Post #: 7
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/7/2009 2:09:57 PM   
warguppy

Ok I see what I did wrong now. Apparently if you wait too long the guy in the Safari is killed with the rest of the bus passengers... I had to start over from an earlier point.

(in reply to warguppy)
Post #: 8
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/7/2009 3:28:32 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Yeah, don't worry too much about having to restart once or twice. It takes a while to get the hang of what's actually going on in the story line. But the essential gist of the game boils down to this:

You've been hired by the brother(Janus) of a cruel unnamed Dictator to overthrow him. Along the way, you'll run into situations that have you questioning whether this Janus guy is on the level. Eventually, you'll have a choice of whether to continue to work for Janus, or betray him and work for one of the other "factions" within the game: The Butsi, the Mauraders or the Dictator.

Don't worry about it too much, and just focus on capturing sectors and growing your bank account. One thing I learned about my own first game, is that I spent way too much time trying to figure out what's going on in the story line. I should've instead just gone with the flow and whatever happens, happens. If you think that you've failed a mission, you really haven't. The game has just turned down a different story line.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to warguppy)
Post #: 9
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/7/2009 5:23:00 PM   
warguppy

Ok thanks for that. It does seem to have a steep learning curve in some ways. Not a bad thing always but it just takes getting used to.

(in reply to warguppy)
Post #: 10
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/7/2009 6:43:28 PM   
Joram

It's highly highly recommended you start the game on easy.  If you're not doing that, you may want to start over before you become too frustrated.

(in reply to warguppy)
Post #: 11
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/8/2009 2:47:30 PM   
warguppy

Yes I did start it on easy. The money management in this game is going to be the hardest for me to learn I think. I keep reading to get the airport but I tried going for that after Safari and was just overwhelemd by enemies. I guess I need to work up to that one...

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 12
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/8/2009 3:26:25 PM   
R@S

I'd suggest you take the trainstation directly after the safari map. You'll get some decent rifles and most importantly, NADES. From there I usually go to the Road to Airport map. It's a very small map and you'll have to adjust your tactic. Deploy your mercs in a corner, all prone, and when the battle starts it is VERY important that you get the first turn. If you don't re-load the map and deploy your troops again. Do this until you get the first turn. Use one of your merc to advance a little standing up, probably revealing some hidden enemies. Then use your other mercs to chuck nades at them. Remember to always stand up when throwing, the range increases significantly if you do. And always save 2 AP's so that you'll be able to go prone before ending the turn.

The Airport itself is one of the easiest maps, just start with your mercs proned in a line at the end of the runway and let the enemy come to you. Easy pickings.

Good luck:)

(in reply to warguppy)
Post #: 13
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/9/2009 5:31:48 PM   
Headshot

I dont ever seem to have a money problem as in my latest game it It has gone like this...
Day one hired 5 Mercs plus my character. Bought as much long range ammo for the M-1's as I could get from DJ's as well as any other long range weapons and ammo.
Took the North road very easy by letting the 2 factions shoot each other to lessen the odds. Went to the Checkpoint and took it then on to the Safari sector. Took the Safari sector and went to the Trainstation. The RR station takes abit to time getting to it and taking it but once obtained I dont wait around much. I order any more ammo From DJ's because if you do all this in Day one you should get an email that says they got better inventory so buy whatever LR stuff you can and add lasers to everything you can. Wait until midnight and see what enemy movement starts and where them seem to be heading. Go Back to DJ's and buy more equipment ( he restocks at 12 midnight - new day ) and of course have it delivered to the RR station. Equip your crew and head off to intercept the moving enemy ( most likely heading for the checkpoint ). Kill the attacking forces and head to the road to the airport and then the Airport. Pick up and adjust you weapons along the way but I always favor long Range combat but alway equip your soldiers with both a LR weapon and a high power Burst weapon and grenades. Alway enter a map prone. Always stay in a semi tight formation with overlaping fields of fire. Enter the AirPort map in the corner at the end of the airstrip and you will have a fairly easy time taking out the enemy soldiers closest to you and pick off the others as they come closer. Once you capture the Airport you should have gotten another e-mail from DJ's so go buy better equipment from him again...
Now I am going to hear you yell I Cant afford all this, I am going to loss my team ... Crap I say... This is still day two and before the end of the day you will have the Dictator and the Palace in your control and it is game over or time for a change. If you go with the Dictator he will give you 500k and because you didn't try and take over all the extra locations from him you dont have to take them back ( I made that mistake in my first game ). At this point DJ will have sent you another email and you should have a really well stocked group of 6 mercs. Head straigh back to the road to the airport, You should be able to reaquire the Road before the end of DAY 2. Right after you take the road Do NOT wait until midnight head to the airport and retake it you should get there just before 1 am on DAY 3.... I could go on but, I think you get the picture.   The money issues dont apply if you have a straight forward plan of attack and follow it through. This game was on the easy mode and using Reenforce's mod. I have played through the game 7 time so far and have yet to worry about money except on the hardest level when I started with only 4 Mercs But if you hit hard and fast and dont waste time with other sectors this can be done even on hard.

Headshot

If you shoot them in the head they dont normally get back up and helmets dont stop AP rounds...

(in reply to R@S)
Post #: 14
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/9/2009 7:19:43 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Well, that is certainly one way to play the game. Not my particular style, though. I like to take my time and heal my wounded mercs. Since I don't reload save games if my mercs get hit, I've had four KIA and everyone wounded multiple times.

But that's what makes this game good. There are many different ways to play it.

(in reply to Headshot)
Post #: 15
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/10/2009 4:16:17 PM   
warguppy

Hmmm I'm not using any mods at the moment. Is this a mistake?  If I install a mod will I have to start over?

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 16
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/10/2009 4:18:26 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warguppy

Hmmm I'm not using any mods at the moment. Is this a mistake?  If I install a mod will I have to start over?

I wouldn't say it's a mistake, but many people seem to like Reinforced's mod. I don't think you would have to start over if you use that.

But I would definitely make sure you have the first official patch installed.

(in reply to warguppy)
Post #: 17
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/10/2009 7:25:24 PM   
Reinforce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warguppy

I wouldn't say it's a mistake, but many people seem to like Reinforced's mod. I don't think you would have to start over if you use that.

But I would definitely make sure you have the first official patch installed.

To get the new items and afew other changes sadly you need to start over if you use my mod. However I suggest playing the game unmodded at least once.

Also as Slick said, The Official patch a must have.

Much Love,
Reinforce

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 18
RE: Getting past the first map - 1/10/2009 8:00:56 PM   
warguppy

I'm pretty sure I did the official patch (did updates before playing it even once).  I must say, as a side note, this seems one of the most friendly and helpful game communities I've come across in years.

(in reply to Reinforce)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Getting past the first map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI