Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

This or Carriers at War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> This or Carriers at War Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
This or Carriers at War - 1/30/2009 10:06:08 PM   
zasgard

Hello!

Quick question. I'm looking for a naval wargame that will focus a decent amount of detail on surface action, and of course, air to ship action.

I don't care about land warfare. I want a good amount of detail and management of surface, air-to-sea action.

Of the two games, this one and Carriers at War, which is going to take care of my needs the best?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: This or Carriers at War - 1/30/2009 10:08:54 PM   
Japan

Hello Sir

I have both of the games, but dont play Carriers at war anymore.

I would, if you are willing to spend 3-5 years on 1 Campaing (1 Game) then I would strongly recommend this one.

It is my hummle opinion that this game is far far suppirior compared to Carriers at war.

AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 2
RE: This or Carriers at War - 1/30/2009 10:31:09 PM   
Q-Ball

If you are looking for detail to manage, look no further.......and you can't, because you won't have time to anyway!!!!

Look at the AAR's section, but if you like Naval Strategy, this is IT, baby!

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 3
RE: This or Carriers at War - 1/30/2009 10:59:39 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: zasgard

Hello!
I don't care about land warfare. I want a good amount of detail and management of surface, air-to-sea action. Of the two games, this one and Carriers at War, which is going to take care of my needs the best?

Thanks

If you want detailed carrier and surface actions, WITP is not your game. It's far to strategic overall. Haven't played "Carriers at War", so I can't tell you how much detail it entails.

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 4
RE: This or Carriers at War - 1/30/2009 11:05:48 PM   
eloso

Carriers at War is a good beer and pretzels game. There isn't much complexity at all or a whole campaign to play. It is good for a diversion while you are waiting for a turn. The weather system is more dynamic and you can actually see the weather fronts to hide in. Also there is live MP if I recall correctly which WitP does not have.

I haven't played it in a year or so whereas I play War in the Pacific almost every day. In CaW the only scenario that seemd to be balanced was the Coral Sea battle. The rest of them were lopsided in one way or the other which didn't leave much in the way of replayability.

War in the Pacific is worth every single penny that you have to dish out for it.

~just my two cents.

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 5
RE: This or Carriers at War - 1/30/2009 11:46:46 PM   
spence

quote:

Carriers at War is a good beer and pretzels game.

Operational level with some tactical decisions but how realistic can a Battle of Midway be if the IJN enters the fray with the certain knowledge that the USN is out there somewhere (and in strength)?...I much prefer the latitude available at the strategic level. Arranging for the "Battle of Midway" 300 miles WNW of the Andaman Islands is much more rewarding.

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 6
RE: This or Carriers at War - 1/31/2009 9:25:27 AM   
wild_Willie2

I have both games and you normally finish a CAW game victoriously within half an hour. It's easily mastered (it's all about using the weather) and looses it's replay value quite quickly.
WITP on the other hand, will take weeks to finish and it's NOT easily mastered. It's replay capability is HUGE.....

I would go for WITP..... 

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
RE: This or Carriers at War - 1/31/2009 3:44:07 PM   
m10bob

For the War in the Pacific games....THIS is the "Holy Grail" you seek.

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 8
RE: This or Carriers at War - 1/31/2009 3:52:16 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

For the War in the Pacific games....THIS is the "Holy Grail" you seek.

Actually AE will be the Holy Grail....WitP Mk-1 is a sippy cup by comparison.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 9
RE: This or Carriers at War - 1/31/2009 9:53:29 PM   
Grotius

I have both, and I far prefer WITP. I suppose if you want somewhat greater "tactical" control, then you might want Carriers at War. New players to the WITP system are sometimes frustrated that they can't order their CVs to attack particular targets, for example. Also, CAW can be played quickly, whereas a campaign game of WITP takes months even against the AI. Still, WITP is a far more detailed and more satisfying treatment of the subject, in my opinion.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 10
RE: This or Carriers at War - 1/31/2009 10:40:19 PM   
Jorm

Go for Witp

I had every version and iteration of CaW until this last manifestation which i did not purchase.

CaW is a fun fast game where you 'fight the carrier battles' with scenarios spanning afew days at most and you play on a 'run5' ( 5 minute intervals) or real time scale.

Witp is a game with a much larger scope with 1 to 3 day turn lengths so the battles are some what abstracted.

Caw is in my own opinion still very clunky and some poor design decisiosn have remained in the game ie no submarine movement and fixed carriers after launching a strike. These were included to remove 'gamey play' but if you only played against the AI then it was never a problem anyways and how many grognards are cheats anyways ??!!

< Message edited by Jorm -- 1/31/2009 10:41:37 PM >

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 11
RE: This or Carriers at War - 2/2/2009 3:13:18 PM   
SuluSea

If you're not interested in land action I would suggest CAW which already mentioned has some weaknesses but is a fantastic game none the less.

WITP has much better replay value and is enhanced greatly by the members of the community that offer their time and talents for the enjoyment of others. 

My advice is to get both.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 12
RE: This or Carriers at War - 2/3/2009 2:49:53 AM   
madgamer2

There is no game I know of that has great navel detail and very little ground combat detail at the strategic level. CaW is beer and munchies kind of stuff. WitP and AE are both games that have great land,air, and sea detail as well as a long learning curve.
You might look at Supremacy at Sea which might give you a lot more navel stuff but less detail like WitP.

Madgamer

(in reply to zasgard)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> This or Carriers at War Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI