Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suriyothai

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Suriyothai Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suriyothai - 8/29/2001 8:15:00 AM   
abradley

Excerpt from "The Nation" 18 Aug. 2001 "Suriyothai" (1st half 16th century Siam.) The film centres on the life of the heroine, Suriyothai, the queen of King Mahachakrapat, whose life from the age of 15, went through dramatic changes ranging from love and attachment, marriage, resettlement in the capital Ayutthaya, court life, and intrigue.
Suriyothai is also a colourful tapestry of former Siam covering the lives of both the high and low, and the ancient traditions in the Ayuthaya period during a time of peace and war, Changes resulting from successions to the throne reflect the true nature of human beings with their strengths and weaknessess, nobility, ambition, struggle for power, sacrifice, and survival. Andy>>>My wife and I saw this yesterday.
It was great, this from Andy the original "Ugly American*". The Palace intrigues would impress Shakespeare, the battles were well done and different (mortars mounted on Elephants?), they say it's been well researched so the elephant mortars are probable correct, does anyone know? Not as polished as a Hollywood production, Julia Roberts isn't starring as the heroine, all Thai actors except for a few Portuguese Mercenaries and Jesuits. Doing a read of Thai history of that era will be helpful. Thai-Burmese Wars. Saw it in Thai with English subtitles. It's 3 hours long with no break.
It's expected to play throughout SE Asia and there is talk it may be picked up for worldwide distribution (after being edited to two hours? Bad mistake!) So If any want to see something historically different and your living in an area with a large Thai (SE Asian) population it may show in a local theater. *"The Ugly American", a book from the '60s about Americans in SE Asia who live as Americans and don't try learning the local language, history, or customs.

"This situation we face – Suicidal maniacs from a failed civilization want to murder us all, and most people don’t believe it is really happening – sounds like something out of a science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. But it is real. " ChicagoBoyz
Post #: 1
- 8/29/2001 8:07:00 PM   
Mai Thai

To abradley: Sawasdee krap thank you very much for the information, i will check to find it somewhere in my country Anyway how are things in the smiling land?
Bye

-- occupy it, administer it, exploit it

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 2
- 8/29/2001 9:35:00 PM   
abradley

quote:

Originally posted by Mai Thai:
To abradley: Sawasdee krap thank you very much for the information, i will check to find it somewhere in my country Anyway how are things in the smiling land?
Bye

Sawasdee krap
Great.
Been living here for near 20 years-love it.

"This situation we face – Suicidal maniacs from a failed civilization want to murder us all, and most people don’t believe it is really happening – sounds like something out of a science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick. But it is real. " ChicagoBoyz

(in reply to abradley)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Suriyothai Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote