Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian Steel Update - 1.2 Now available at the Armor Site!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Russian Steel Update - 1.2 Now available at the Armor Site! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian Steel Update - 1.2 Now available at the Armor S... - 5/9/2002 10:21:48 AM   
RussianSteelDar

Russian Steel 1.2 is now available on Fabio Prado's excellent Armor Site!

5 upgrades to battles from Russian Steel 1.1 and 6 new battles that carry your force through to April 1942 and the spring mud season..

See all of the details in the SPWAW campaign/scenario subforum.

Russian Steel 1.2 is posted (with some new graphics, too) at:

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_camps06.htm

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/sp_waw.htm

With much appreciation to Fabio Prado for his continued support and enthusiasm.

Brad
Post #: 1
- 5/9/2002 11:00:08 AM   
RussianSteelDar

Russian Steel 1.2: 20 battles worth of teeth-gritting action and combined arms fighting.....

I have to advise you that any player playing Russian Steel 1.2 for more than a few hours at a time runs the risk of developing battle fatigue and shell shock! Most of these battles are INTENSE!!

These latest battles will force your core force onto the offensive and you will begin seeing more effective anti-tank weapons enter the German TO&E as well as all kinds of captured gear that the Germans pressed into service because theirs was frozen solid.

RS 1.1 Updates:

- New UCAMP file

- Battle intro text updates

- Battle 2: eliminated the ghost A0 unit

- Battle 4: fixed T-26m33 showing up as T34 icon

- Battle 4.5: Upgrade by Stuart and fixed time travel bug (sorry!)

- Battle 10: Upgraded

- Battle 11: Upgraded - added armor in the city

- Battle 12: Upgraded - added armor in the city

New Battles:

Battle 13: Juhnov Assault - destroy two German hedgehogs

Battle 14: Borodino Hedgehog - Capture the town of Borodino and the Old Redoubt

Battle 16: Vyasma Rescue - extract Soviet paratroopers and cavalry from behind German lines.

Battle 17: Assault newly arrived Hungarian units, breakthrough, and establish a bridgehead over the Oka. If you like artillery, you will love this one!

Battle 18: Oka Bridgehead - sequel to Battle 17 - exploit your bridgehead over the Oka River and face a Panzer counterattack

Battle 19: Fighting Withdrawal - sequel to Battle 18 - fight through
the Panzers to Soviet lines

With Russian Steel 1.2, this represents a very stable set of battles through Battle 12. Battles 13 - 19 are thoroughly tested but have not been played by multiple players yet.

I strongly suggest you download the whole file and overwrite your RS 1.1 files as necessary. This should not impact your current battle and the changes will take place only after your current battle ends.

RS 1.2 was tested under 7.1 with Command Control ON. Other settings may affect the playbalance.

I hope you enjoy these new winter battles. I would love to hear from you about the battles so far.

How far have you gotten? I did see someone get to Battle 5....

Anyone get all the way through yet?

BD

(in reply to RussianSteelDar)
Post #: 2
Re: Russian Steel Update - 1.2 Now available at the Arm... - 5/9/2002 10:03:37 PM   
Fabio Prado

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RussianSteelDar
[B]Russian Steel 1.2 is now available on Fabio Prado's excellent Armor Site!

5 upgrades to battles from Russian Steel 1.1 and 6 new battles that carry your force through to April 1942 and the spring mud season..

See all of the details in the SPWAW campaign/scenario subforum.

Russian Steel 1.2 is posted (with some new graphics, too) at:

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_camps06.htm

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/sp_waw.htm

With much appreciation to Fabio Prado for his continued support and enthusiasm.

Brad [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank You for your kind words, Brad!
It has been a pleasure and an honor to host Russian Steel, a brilliant job by a terrific group of designers, led by a most dedicated and talented coordinator!;)
Russian Steel Campaign for SPWaW is a MUST for any SPWaW fan!:)

Fab

Post #: 3
- 5/13/2002 11:48:06 PM   
Kaakao

Hi!

At the moment I'm in the middle of battle 12. So far the results have been from draw's to Dv's. My coreforce is 1 co T-34's, SMG co, rifle co and few Gaz-4m-aa's. Has worked out so far.

Post #: 4
- 5/16/2002 7:19:49 AM   
RussianSteelDar

KaaKao:

Thanks for the feedback - it's a thrill to see someone reach Battle 12...

Thanks for playing! Your T34s should be veteran and elite by now - maybe some infantry too...

If you have the time, it would be great to hear any other impressions you may have...

Battles too hard? too easy? too many points? not enough points? Any annoying things? Things you liked?

Favorite battle so far?

With a range of outcomes from draw to DVs I'd say the difficulty seems on target...are the points OK?

Thanks again.

Brad

Post #: 5
- 5/17/2002 2:06:33 AM   
Kaakao

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RussianSteelDar
[B]KaaKao:

Thanks for the feedback - it's a thrill to see someone reach Battle 12...

Thanks for playing! Your T34s should be veteran and elite by now - maybe some infantry too...

If you have the time, it would be great to hear any other impressions you may have...

Battles too hard? too easy? too many points? not enough points? Any annoying things? Things you liked?

Favorite battle so far?

With a range of outcomes from draw to DVs I'd say the difficulty seems on target...are the points OK?

Thanks again.

Brad [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Brad

In my opinion the campaiqn is built up pretty well and the battles have also the element of suprise. As for the favorite battle, I got to say it's the first one. It was strange to command troops with exp and morale under 50 but it was also lots of fun :) . The points are quite right, allthough you can't buy trucks to carry all of your infantry with the support points. That slows the winter battles alot. It's not a problem when the map isn't covered with snow but with the maps being quite large, it sometimes becomes annoying. But I believe it's anyway realistic not to have too many support points. So if the points remain quite the same, playing becames faster when you don't buy so much infantry.

The battles weren't so easy at the beginning, but now I'am learning how to play better and better and it's starting to show off in the scores.

Well that is what I think. Great campaiqn :)

Post #: 6
- 5/18/2002 11:37:35 AM   
kevsharr

I am fairly new to this stuff but how do you get this version into the game it would take forever to try to cut and paste all the updates any advice will be appreciated

Post #: 7
- 5/19/2002 4:39:37 AM   
RussianSteelDar

Kevsharr:

First, in WINDOWS, open your SPWAW directory on C: drive and then get to a screen where you can see the SCEN, SAVE, and CAMPAIGN folders (plus many others). DO not click on CAMPAIGN to open it.

Now, go download the RS file. Then you unzip it showing all the files. Then "control-A" to select all the files (or hold the shift key down and click them all). You should see most of the files begin with c022xxxxx.xxx - this means they will load into the slot 22 campaign game which comes empty with SPWAW but can b e filled with user generated games.

Drag the files over the desktop to the CAMPAIGN folder and release the mouse button. You should see the CAMPAIGN folder darken and then there will be a pause while your system copies the files.

Now, you can double click CAMPAIGN to open it and scroll down to see if there are a bunch of c022 files. If there are, you are done. Now open SPWAW from the SPWAW menu and get to campaign - you should see Russian Steel on the first screen of campaigns. You're ready to go!

You have to use WINDOWS to load Russian Steel into the SPWAW directory and then open SPWAW and play.

Let me know if this doesn't work.

Brad

Post #: 8
- 5/20/2002 1:45:50 AM   
kevsharr

Apparently it worked because I now have 40 scenario's thanks for the help:)

Post #: 9
- 5/20/2002 8:56:04 AM   
RussianSteelDar

kevsharr:

Excellent!

You actually have 19 scenarios with RS 1.2 even though you "see" 40...the files for the remaining 21 are not included in RS at this time because they are still in playtesting...

The good news is that they are all sort of playable - meaning the designs are finished...

but they have a wide range of outcomes because of the different designers..

I need to go through them to adjust the playbalance so you guys have a more consistent set of battles...I also fix things like no crews showing up because there are too many units...

I'm releasing them in bundles (RS 1.2 had 6 new battles) as I grind through them.

The bad news is my work situation has reached the point where I have to stand down testing for 6 weeks (Grrr)...

The good news is I am committed to cranking out all the battles you see and maybe a few more - it will take longer than I had hoped however...

RS 1.3 will have 6 new battles and will culminate at Stalingrad....OY!!

Then RS 1.4 kicks off with storming the Rumanians and will feature 3-4 more battles...

RS 1.5 should complete the original series (the storyline was 34 battles but there are some branches and some new adds to get you to 40)...

Anyway - you have 19 battles ready to go - Good Luck, Comrade!!! The Boss is counting on you!

Post #: 10
- 5/23/2002 10:22:59 PM   
Unknown_Enemy

My favorite : the battle when you have to escape encirclement...
(whatever his name) Sort of run for your life :eek: with germans hot on your back.

My problem has been with replacement points. I lost lots of hardware in defense of dubno (draw) and I have been hard pressed since then :( to have my core force in full battle order.

For core force, I choosed to have a T34 Co with a Co of "monted on tank" infantry. Problem is it is not as efficient a full inf squad, which is too heavy to ride a tank. But the mobility is worth it. Added to that I purchase 3 flame tanks(and some guns), which are at the moment my most experimented units.

I find the scenarios quite hard, most of the time victory or defeat has been decided in the very last turns. Doing this campaign gives me the feeling of walking on the edge of a sword, which is acurate for the period. But that is very naughty for my battered feeling of superiority:D .

Most of the time I let the added units (not core) be slaughtered (I HATE LUTWAFFE :mad: ), it worked so far to keep me on level, but as I do not reload a battle just to improve my deployment, I sometime waste precious time to bring back some much needed units.

Looking at the losses I experimented, I have a bad bad feeling about slaughterhouse Stalingrad.....

Great work, great campaign !

Thanks to all the team.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Yaah ! Yaah ! Cthulhu fhtagn ! Cthulhu fhtagn !

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Russian Steel Update - 1.2 Now available at the Armor Site! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI