Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Simplified economy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Simplified economy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Simplified economy - 3/2/2009 12:01:36 PM   
jnpoint

I have played games (for example SR2020), and in those games the game AI is that much better than I, so I choose not to control economy. What about this game? Can I compete with the AI?

Although I do have COG, I never finished a game, maybe the new game will change that . So I still do not know if you can play after 1820, or does it end there no matter what?
Post #: 1
RE: Simplified economy - 3/2/2009 1:00:00 PM   
Hard Sarge

when the game ends, it will ask you if you want to end it or keep on playing

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 2
RE: Simplified economy - 3/2/2009 1:31:25 PM   
Joram

I think you are asking a very difficult question to be honest.  First, there are two different levels you can be asking that on, the strategic and tactical.  Both of those can be tweaked separately too if you find one challenging and one not.

It is highly dependant on the scenario and situation too.  So that's not really an answer but maybe if you posted more games you find easy or challenging, we can help compare.  I only barely touched 2020 so can't really give you an answer based on that one game.

I find the AI more challenging than games like MTW2 (or any in that series), Imperial Glory, HoI, Civ 4, but less challenging than say TOAW3 or Armageddon Empires.  But everyone is different so who knows.  A game that always kicks my behind for instance is Chess, and I'm sure there are many out there who can dominate the standard chess games out there.  :)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 3
RE: Simplified economy - 3/2/2009 1:34:24 PM   
Joram

One thing I meant to add is that yes, the game to me is much simpler on Simple Economy than Advanced.  I am one of those who hated Advanced in the old CoG because I felt I was devoting all my time to figuring out the econ and not playing the game.  If you play simple economy, that really has all gone away and the economic choices you may have to make are much much easier to work out.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 4
RE: Simplified economy - 3/2/2009 3:08:29 PM   
jnpoint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

I think you are asking a very difficult question to be honest.  First, there are two different levels you can be asking that on, the strategic and tactical.  Both of those can be tweaked separately too if you find one challenging and one not.

It is highly dependant on the scenario and situation too.  So that's not really an answer but maybe if you posted more games you find easy or challenging, we can help compare.  I only barely touched 2020 so can't really give you an answer based on that one game.

I find the AI more challenging than games like MTW2 (or any in that series), Imperial Glory, HoI, Civ 4, but less challenging than say TOAW3 or Armageddon Empires.  But everyone is different so who knows.  A game that always kicks my behind for instance is Chess, and I'm sure there are many out there who can dominate the standard chess games out there.  :)

Thanks for the answers! But sorry, I might have formulated it confusing – I mean, if I let the computer take control over my economy on simplified economy – can I do that better (control my own economy), or will the computer always be the best?

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 5
RE: Simplified economy - 3/2/2009 4:13:38 PM   
JudgeDredd

That's impossible to determine, jnpoint...no-one knows you better than you and no-one knows how you would play the economic part of the game.

I suggest a better way to word it would be "Does the AI do a reasonable job of the economic system"...then people could say yes or no, but they would all be doing it based on "their" experience of the game and "their" ability...so essentially no answer would be right for you specifically.

The best that you could gleen from asking such a question is whether the AI is capable or not.

Just my 2 pence worth.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 6
RE: Simplified economy - 3/2/2009 7:03:54 PM   
jnpoint

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

That's impossible to determine, jnpoint...no-one knows you better than you and no-one knows how you would play the economic part of the game.

I suggest a better way to word it would be "Does the AI do a reasonable job of the economic system"...then people could say yes or no, but they would all be doing it based on "their" experience of the game and "their" ability...so essentially no answer would be right for you specifically.

The best that you could gleen from asking such a question is whether the AI is capable or not.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Yes you might be right. But I did have the feel with SR2020, that is was cheating, when it took over the economy, and many others did feel the same as me. So maybe I should ask: Does it cheat? Well, who should know that – I know – but does anyone FEEL it is cheating when you play simplified economy? Maybe I’m asking a bit strange, but I did not like SR2020 because of that, and I do not want to make the same mistake twice!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: Simplified economy - 3/2/2009 7:06:51 PM   
Joram

Yes, Jnpoint, you did word it a bit confusingly at first but now that I understand your question, then no, I actually couldn't tell you quite how well it does.  I'm anal and like to control everything that I'm given the option to control.  With that said, there are very few moving parts in simple economy and the AI manages it's own economy quite well so I imagine it can manage yours well too.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 8
RE: Simplified economy - 3/2/2009 9:52:06 PM   
ericbabe

There really isn't much for the AI to do in simple economy -- simple economy is *very* simple -- so there really isn't much to do to manage your economy in that mode at all.  The Expert should still purchase guns, walls, barracks, and docks for your provinces, and so if you wouldn't be doing this for yourself, then the Expert might do a better job at that, but it really doesn't take much work to figure out where to build barracks/docks and so forth.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Simplified economy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI