Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sound distortion problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Sound distortion problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sound distortion problems - 5/17/2002 12:01:05 AM   
Hartmann

Following problem: after playing a few minutes, the music gets horribly distorted. This always (irregularily) happens during some clicking, e.g. sometimes when I look at carrier in a taskforce. Probably the additional soundeffects coming into play trigger this. The thing is that this is really annoying as I have to restart the game to correct that (or cancel the music fully).

I have Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook, PIII 700 (running on W98 SE), with a SB compatible ESS soundchip onboard, I just forgot the precise label of the chip (sorry).
I have the latest drivers, though, and never had any problems (even not with very old games which have to be slowed down).

Any help (or patching) would be really appreciated, because I love the atmospheric music. Thanks.

Hartmann
Post #: 1
- 5/17/2002 12:17:11 AM   
Marc von Martial

Try turning the sound hardware acceleration off, it often causes sound distortion problems.

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 2
- 5/17/2002 12:21:37 AM   
Hartmann

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]Try turning the sound hardware acceleration off, it often causes sound distortion problems. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks ... but where do I do that, is this accessible via the hardware manager in the systems folder? :)

Hartmann

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 3
- 5/17/2002 12:25:15 AM   
Marc von Martial

Well I know you can do it there , but I can´t guide you too it as I´m only experienced with german language OS´s. Don´t know how the tabs are called in english. Maybe somebody here can guide you to it.

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 4
- 5/17/2002 12:32:01 AM   
Marc von Martial

I did a quick search. This should help:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/stream/hh/stream/aud-design_8beb.asp

[QUOTE]DirectSound Hardware-Acceleration and SRC Sliders
Windows 98/Me, and Windows 2000 and later, provide global slider controls for altering DirectSound performance on a system-wide basis. The sliders control the level of hardware acceleration and quality of sample-rate conversion (SRC) that are made available to DirectSound applications.

To locate the DirectSound hardware-acceleration and SRC sliders under Windows XP, for example, follow these steps:

Double-click the Sounds and Audio Devices icon in Control Panel.
Click the Audio tab.
Select a device from the Sound Playback list.
Click the Advanced button.
Click the Performance tab.
At this point, you should see two sliders that are labeled Hardware acceleration and Sample rate conversion quality.

The hardware-acceleration slider has four settings that range from "None" (level 0) on the left to "Full" (level three) on the right. The table below shows the meaning of these settings:

Acceleration level Setting name Description
0 Emulation Forces emulation.
1 Basic Disables hardware acceleration of DirectSound secondary buffers.
2 Standard Enables hardware acceleration of DirectSound secondary buffers but disables vendor-specific property-set extensions.
3 Full Enables hardware acceleration of DirectSound secondary buffers and enables vendor-specific property-set extensions.

Emulation Setting
The Emulation setting above forces DirectSound into emulation mode. In this mode, DirectSound applications run as though no DirectSound driver is present. All mixing is done by DirectSound in user mode, and the resulting audio data is played back through the waveOut API. The result is typically a large increase in latency. Note that after you select this setting, you might need to reboot if you are running a Windows version that is earlier than Windows XP and you want to change to one of the other three settings: Basic, Standard, or Full. This problem has been fixed in the version of DirectSound that ships with Windows XP and later.
Basic Setting
The Basic setting disables hardware acceleration of DirectSound secondary buffers. Under this setting, all DirectSound applications run as though no hardware acceleration is available, regardless of the capabilities of the sound card that is being used. You can use this setting during testing to emulate a sound card that has no DirectSound acceleration. With an adapter such as the OPL, which has no acceleration of DirectSound secondary buffers, this setting has the same effect as the Standard setting.
Standard Setting
The Standard setting enables hardware acceleration of DirectSound secondary buffers but disables vendor-specific extensions such as EAX (Creative Technologies' environmental audio extensions) that are exposed as property sets through the IKsPropertySet interface. On Windows 2000, the Standard setting is selected by default and can be changed only by direct end-user action. This purpose of this behavior is to improve stability and to prevent software from placing the audio system in a state from which it cannot be removed without rebooting.
Full Setting
The Full setting enables full acceleration of DirectSound secondary buffers. This setting also enables property sets for vendor-specific extensions that are exposed through the IKsPropertySet interface. IKsPropertySet extensions include vendor-specific hardware enhancements such as EAX. This is the default setting on Windows 98/Me and Windows XP. Again, for the sake of stability, the default setting can be changed only by direct end-user action.
The table below summarizes the default settings for the hardware-acceleration and SRC sliders for the various Windows releases.

Windows release Default hardware-acceleration setting Default SRC setting
Windows 98 Full Good
Windows 2000 Full Good
Windows Me Standard Good
Windows XP Full Best

In Windows XP, the KMixer system driver uses an SRC algorithm that provides a signal-to-noise ratio of up to 85 decibels when the SRC slider is set to Best.

Built on Wednesday, October 03, 2001[/QUOTE]

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 5
- 5/17/2002 12:54:09 AM   
Hartmann

Thanks Marc. In fact, I *have* ... eine Deutsche W98 SE Version auf meinem Notebook installiert. :) So guiding me with respect to the German tabs would be great, actually. :)

Hartmann

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 6
- 5/17/2002 1:15:50 AM   
Marc von Martial

Aha,

also:

-Systemsteuerung
-Sound & Audiogeräte
-Audio
-Soundwiedergabe -> Erweitert
-Systemleistung
-dort HW Beschleunigung ausstellen bzw. erstmal immer einen klick nach unten und versuchen ob´s schon so hilft

das war unter XP. Ich glaube für Win98 war das so:

-Systemsteuerung
-Multimedia
-Audio
-Weit.Eigenschaften
-Leistung
-Hardwarebeschleunigung

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 7
- 5/17/2002 1:26:20 AM   
Hartmann

[B]Aha,

also:

-Systemsteuerung
-Sound & Audiogeräte
-Audio
-Soundwiedergabe -> Erweitert
-Systemleistung
-dort HW Beschleunigung ausstellen bzw. erstmal immer einen klick nach unten und versuchen ob´s schon so hilft [/B][/QUOTE]

Tausend Dank! :)

Hartmann

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 8
- 5/17/2002 1:28:40 AM   
Marc von Martial

Keine Ursache, bitte beachte, das ich meinen post gerade editiert habe, da der workaround für XP/2000 ist. Aus Erinnerung habe ich mal gepostet wie die Tabs unter Win98 heissen.

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 9
- 5/17/2002 1:33:54 AM   
Hartmann

[B]Keine Ursache, bitte beachte, das ich meinen post gerade editiert habe, da der workaround für XP/2000 ist. Aus Erinnerung habe ich mal gepostet wie die Tabs unter Win98 heissen. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ahh ... okay. :) Ich glaube, Ich hab's jetzt geblickt, auch wenn die tabs slightly different sein sollten. :cool:

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 10
- 5/17/2002 1:37:46 AM   
IChristie

[QUOTE]tabs slightly different sein sollten. [/QUOTE]

Ahhh, Genglish, one of the lesser known of the major linguistic groups. ;)

Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 11
- 5/17/2002 1:45:37 AM   
Hartmann

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IChristie
[B]

Ahhh, Genglish, one of the lesser known of the major linguistic groups. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

I've been away from home for too long now. Sometimes, I can't remember the German wording on the spot while the English phrase just fits in so nicely. :)

Hartmann

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 12
- 5/17/2002 1:50:14 AM   
IChristie

Don't worry about, J'habite dans le Canada. Donc, ici we parlons le Franglais (or is it Fringlish... Chez pas ;))

Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 13
- 5/17/2002 1:53:09 AM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]I've been away from home for too long now. Sometimes, I can't remember the German wording on the spot while the English phrase just fits in so nicely.[/QUOTE]

Don´t worry, allthough I´m still working from Germany I have the same problems allready ;)

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 14
- 5/17/2002 1:53:34 AM   
Hartmann

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IChristie
[B]Don't worry about, J'habite dans le Canada. Donc, ici we parlons le Franglais (or is it Fringlish... Chez pas ;)) [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah, le Franglais! C'est une langue tres jolie, aussi! ;)

Hartmann

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 15
- 5/17/2002 2:38:27 AM   
Sonny

Did you ever notice that no matter what language two people are speaking they always use "o.k."? It seems almost universal.:)

(in reply to Hartmann)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Sound distortion problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI