Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Player Creation and the Draft

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Player Creation and the Draft Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Player Creation and the Draft - 5/16/2009 9:10:09 PM   
Marauders

Maximum Football creates as many as 480 players in some positions prior to the initial draft for a 16 team league. That is 30 players per team in those positions, and 25 for others. That is far too many players, as it makes teams top heavy in good players. Even 10 players per team is alot, but at least it is reasonable for positions that have 4 players expected with 2 backups like offensive and defensive linemen. Other positions need far less players.

Pos Total PerTeam

QB 128 08
WR 400 25
OL 480 30
RB 128 08
DL 480 30
LB 400 25
DB 400 25
TE 128 08
HO 160 10
BL 160 10
KR 160 10
CT 128 08
CM 160 10
P 128 08
K 128 08

A team will generally have 3 quarterbacks. If we add one more as a free agent for injuries, then that is 16x4=64 players needed. Give a little more wiggle space, and we have 16x5=80 players. 128 quarterbacks is much greater than needed.

128 punters and kickers each? Even with a 2 player wiggle space, there should be no more than 48 created. 32 would be better, as I doubt that all 16 kickers or punters will go down to injury in a season.

A good rule of thumb, if one wanted to play it safe, then expected starters multiplied by 2.0 would have worked, and that still would have created many more players than needed. The quarterbacks position is an exception, as there is just 1 starter, but teams will have 3 players, so it should be viewed as a position with 2 starters created per team (2x2=4, 4x16=64 maximum). Having even 128 kickers, holders, and quarterbacks is too many.

No position requires more than 4 starters, so the maximum players created should be 8 x number of teams. That means at the top end, using these generous conditions, no position should have more than 128 players created for a 16 team league. Even more generous would have been 10x each position, and that would have been no more than 160 players created for positions with 4 starters on the field.

This was a topic that I brought up in beta, and it was being looked at, but the options for cleaning this up were not implemented prior to the 2.2 release. Because of this, it is a good idea to set the SkillAttributes_Ranges Table much wider in order to make sure that many of the players are not very good. With an even distribution, there will still be many good players that actually make each team.

Better yet, use JD's editor to set a nice wide bell curve to make sure that the league is not top heavy. It really isn't a great idea for a whole league to have kickers with KST/KAC of 98/98 or QB's that all are top guns.
Post #: 1
RE: Player Creation and the Draft - 5/16/2009 9:40:57 PM   
garysorrell

Good points Todd. This was something I was noticing also.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 2
RE: Player Creation and the Draft - 5/18/2009 2:11:21 AM   
BCtheQB

A great while back I created talent frequency charts  with bell curve depth and appropriate pool sizes ( set for 53 man roster) but
easily amended with a simple modifier . Each position group has  1-2 franchise, 3-4 blue chip, 5-8 journeyman
and serviceable roster fodder, ( guys who could actually play, there is no point in generating guys with 10 str rating
who  you would never play even if you had to, the free agents represented in the game should represent
speed dial viable replacements.   The critical advance was a representative talent pool realistic baseline
which can be used for simulation or augmented for arcade style, and magnified for college pools. This can also be replicated annually for useful draft classes, to maintain realistic league talent, a giant FBPro problem where the league founding core had access to the steroid crowd then all subsequent classes were all 3 yr projects, great if you want to found a league so you can win, next to useless when trying to recruit owners to revamp slipshod franchises, then finding no tools to rebuild, even when you have ample picks.

I just finished training camp with my new summer team so I should be able to publish more playbooks and league support materials shortly

Skagit Valley Lightning, HC, OC, DC, QB,Seattle Stallions 8-3,QB,West Sound Saints, NAFL CHamps,
King County Jaguars 05 NAFL W.Conf Champz,#2inUS
Eastside Hawks 03 #2 in US , 04 #1,#1 in PIFL.

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 3
RE: Player Creation and the Draft - 5/18/2009 2:33:07 AM   
BCtheQB

ORIGINAL POST    i will endeavor to create, and forward for evaluation, draft profiles
for the typical schools of thought,
will not address best athlete avail strategy, Owners can employ that
with no aid whatsoever, NE is too multi-multi to classify,but
obviously that is their strength
I run................................................ (Dal, Car,NO,Pit,HOU
West Coast I.....................................(Oak-Norv?,Mia
Pro run (2 backs with some 3 wide)...(AZ,Nyg,Cle,NYJ
Pro pass (more vertical emphasis)..... (GB,DET,CIN
West coast run..................................(Den, TEN-Chow?,SF
West coast pass................................(SEA,TB,Atl,Phi
1 back run ( featuring 2 tes)...........(Buf,Wash,SD,JAx?
1 back pass (featuring 1 te/H-bk/3wr)..(Min, KC,Bal,IND
4 wide..............................................(Stl,CHI?,
option/wishbone................................I dont expect to see the option, but facilitates
multi RB misdirection approach, and the defense you have to play to compliment that
4-3*
3-4*
4-6*

additional factors
position scarcity,
trade value
quick fix or rebuilding mode mentalities
* pressure and bend but dont break philosophies

x

x

College of the Redwoods recruiter
Irish National Team Scout
Everett Hawks PIFL,AFL2 scout
Blue Chip Referral Service Founder (nationwide HS to College camps)

Skagit Valley Lightning, HC, OC, DC, QB,Seattle Stallions 8-3,QB,West Sound Saints, NAFL CHamps,

(in reply to BCtheQB)
Post #: 4
RE: Player Creation and the Draft - 5/18/2009 2:45:35 AM   
BCtheQB

top insert is draft priority for system you plan to employ, humans can draft as they see fit,
but what is represented will keep a computer team up to snuff or true to form

2nd insert is draft priofity for west coast offense
both by position and quality of player to be targeted, already taking into account realistic pool availability

bottom insert is attribute level ranges , when employed in their entirety generate one Peyton, one Vick, one Favre
then second tier types who excel in one skill but are not multi tool players

these reflect real life occurences from real life talent pools, minor variations for hs, college and pro,
pro is represented here

(in reply to BCtheQB)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Player Creation and the Draft Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI