Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Severe Disappointment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Severe Disappointment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Severe Disappointment - 5/25/2002 7:48:50 AM   
Custer6

Installed Uncommon Valor. I can do everything but play the game. It will not start. I reinstalled repeatedly. No glory. The game does not seem to recognize that the exe is installed. Everytime I put the CD in, it tries to install the game, even though it is already installed. My computer does not seem to recognize that the exe is there on my computer. It is so frustrating to wait months for this game and be so disappointed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
- 5/25/2002 8:08:55 AM   
Supervisor

Move your question to the UV forum under bugs sub-forum, that's were all of these questions are being answered and addressed.

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 2
- 5/25/2002 8:23:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The first thing to check is do you have enough hard drive space. What are your system specs? What kind of CD drive do you have.
What is the size of the installed directory? How are youtrying to start the game? if you ignore or close the menu screen and use the desktop Icon does that work?

Might be the game's fault, might be something with your system. Need more info to tell.

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 3
- 5/25/2002 8:27:37 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

Reading through the bugs forum we seem to be finding that some of the probs are caused by the sound card on a persons machine.

Can I suggest that you try to grab the latest driver for you sound card and install that and see if this helps.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 4
- 5/26/2002 1:53:38 AM   
Custer6

Hard Drive space: I over 700mb of unused space after install.

System Spec: Hewlett Packard Pavilion
CD ROM: Samsung CD-ROM SC-140
All drivers updated.

Size of installed Directory is 803 MB, 6840 Files in 51 Folders

Starting the game: I have tried the shortcut and going into the directory. I can open manual, but not the game itself.

I have installed and played other games. I have checked my drivers and CD-ROM. All up to date and work with other products.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 5
- 5/26/2002 8:55:00 AM   
Reiryc

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Custer6
[B]Hard Drive space: I over 700mb of unused space after install.

System Spec: Hewlett Packard Pavilion
CD ROM: Samsung CD-ROM SC-140
All drivers updated.

Size of installed Directory is 803 MB, 6840 Files in 51 Folders

Starting the game: I have tried the shortcut and going into the directory. I can open manual, but not the game itself.

I have installed and played other games. I have checked my drivers and CD-ROM. All up to date and work with other products.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok gonna need some more info here...

1) System specs, need total ram, operating system and version number, sound card manufacturer and the driver version, total size of hard drive.

2) Are you receiving an error message when you try to start the game?

3) Have you tried leaving the disk in the cd drive, then starting the computer, then clicking on the uncommon valor shortcut that is on your desktop? Key thing here is to leave the cd in the cd drive.

*note* when I put my cd in while the machine is up, it won't recognize the game is installed either--even though I installed to the default directory. What i do if i switch cd's while the computer is running to UV, I close the install screen after it comes up from auto start, then I double click on the UV shortcut on my desktop. I am able to play fine at that point.

4) Do you have microsofts 'the zone' or ICQ? If so I could try to meet up with you for some 'live' trouble shooting.

Reiryc

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 6
This may sound sill but - 5/26/2002 10:33:47 PM   
Philbill1

My Cd does the same. So I launch the game from Start/programmes/uncommon valor(in the list)
I have now moved it from the list as a shortcut on the desktop.
Phil

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 7
Same Problem - 5/27/2002 3:34:47 AM   
ACorporal

Welcome to the club... I have the exact same problem. I have tried sound and graphics changes... nothing seems to work. What operating system do you have ? Mine is XP.

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 8
- 5/27/2002 5:04:34 AM   
Custer6

Thank you so much for your interest in my problem. I will try to answer all your questions.

1) System Specs and RAM: 127.0 RAM, Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222A
Hard Drive Size: 9.48 GB
Sound Card: Crystal WDM Audio Codec (Hardware Version 02) File driver provided by Cirrus Logic Corp version 5.12.01.4026

All drivers have been updated.

2) No error message when I start up. When I do Control+Alt=Delete, the name uncommonvalor is shown as running, but the game is not running.
The game will not start after rebooting. It does not matter if I try the shortcut, the startup menu or go into the directory itself.

3) Sorry dont have the zone or anything like that. No ICQ.

I really appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks for the effort. Feel free to ask me for any more info. I will try to provide it.

Thanks

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 9
- 5/27/2002 5:47:27 AM   
Reiryc

Ok, so when you try to start the game using a shortcut, what happens?

Reiryc

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 10
- 5/27/2002 6:20:54 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

Do you have DX8.1 installed??

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 11
- 5/27/2002 6:36:46 AM   
Reiryc

Btw...

I noticed on the back of the box that 800 meg hd needs to be free. Now I don't know if thats whats needed for a swap file after install or not, however since you have 700 meg free on your hard drive, you might want to consider finding a game that you don't play much and uninstalling it.

See if you can get yourself to about 1 gig hard drive space free.

Lastly, like ross said, make sure you have direct x 8.1 installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/downloads/drx81.asp

Go there to get it if you don't have it already...

Reiryc

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 12
- 5/27/2002 10:13:10 AM   
Custer6

Again, thanks for your help. I installed Direct X again just to be sure. Increased my hard drive space to 1.04 and still nothing.

What happens when I try to start the game: I can get to the main menu screen when I click on the shortcut. When I click on Play Uncommon Vallor the mouse switches to that hour glass waiting icon and the the drive spins momentarily. After that, I have to hit Control+Alt+Delete to shut down the uncommonvalor file. After I do this, I can exit the main menu. I have tried to start from the start menu and the directory itself but nothing. Same problem.

I would be happy to call anybody at a convenient time for them or go to some sort of chat place if I new where to go. Or even email if that will help.

Again, thanks for the effort.

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 13
- 5/27/2002 10:22:36 AM   
Reiryc

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Custer6
[B]Again, thanks for your help. I installed Direct X again just to be sure. Increased my hard drive space to 1.04 and still nothing.

What happens when I try to start the game: I can get to the main menu screen when I click on the shortcut. When I click on Play Uncommon Vallor the mouse switches to that hour glass waiting icon and the the drive spins momentarily. After that, I have to hit Control+Alt+Delete to shut down the uncommonvalor file. After I do this, I can exit the main menu. I have tried to start from the start menu and the directory itself but nothing. Same problem.

I would be happy to call anybody at a convenient time for them or go to some sort of chat place if I new where to go. Or even email if that will help.

Again, thanks for the effort. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ok, how long do you wait for the game to load? I know on my p4 1.7, 768meg ram machine it takes a minute or so to 'start' up after I click on 'play uncommon valor.'

Maybe give the game a few moments to load up.

Some other thoughts that may be causing a hang up.

Go into the uncommon valor folder.

Go to the video folder.

Cut the opening movie avi's and past them into a different folder so that they do not try to load. You can do this by holding down the ctrl key, clicking on all three files, then letting go of the ctrl key. Then while they are all highlighted, right click on 1 of the files and left click on cut. Then go back to the uncommon valor folder, right click on the background and left click on paste.

Then try to start the game and give it a good 3-4 minutes to load.

Reiryc

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 14
- 5/27/2002 8:32:36 PM   
Fred98

Pretty much I have a similar problem.

If I insert the CD, the autorun starts and I see the menu item “install game” but of course the game is already installed.

Then I close the auto run.

I click on the UV icon and the game runs fine.

However it’s a pain.
-

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 15
- 5/27/2002 9:48:37 PM   
Custer6

Thanks for trying to help. I waited 15 minutes after hitting the Play Uncommon Valor spot in the help menu. No glory. Bypassed the into clips and waited 15 minutes. Nothing. I will try any other suggestions.

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 16
- 5/27/2002 11:38:00 PM   
Reiryc

Wow...

Well Im about out of suggestions at this point im afraid =(

Not sure if youre suffering from a problem I saw in another thread in which a dvd/cdr drive wouldnt load the game...

Sorry I was of no help =(

Reiryc

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 17
- 5/29/2002 2:44:00 AM   
cpt_Venomous

bump :(

"Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.'
- Lord General Zyvan

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 18
- 5/29/2002 1:37:07 PM   
Adam Parker

What about a launch direct from the .exe? Also what do you keep running in the background such as Norton etc.?

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 19
- 5/29/2002 8:17:43 PM   
Paul Vebber

Did you get my private message Custer6?

(in reply to Custer6)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> Severe Disappointment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI