Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Number of generators needed...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Number of generators needed... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Number of generators needed... - 5/26/2002 10:44:47 PM   
IonCannon

Hi,

I was just wondering how many generators a cruiser-sized ship would need, since that there is never enough of them inside the ships I own.

I was playing a game last time, in which I had 1 cruiser with all of its component slots filled with 1 repulsor wave, fore-aft conversion beams, trans-warp drive and jump drive as well, along with 3 singularity generators. Well, the problem is that in the power management, it says there is 110 GW available (free) when all the components are charged, but every time the ship makes a jump, all the components get discharged because it doesn't have enough power and the ship is a sitting duck:(

Thus, I was wondering how many of these generators one needs on the ship, as this would then limit the amount of weapons/items it can carry.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
- 5/27/2002 4:44:30 AM   
madmax88

Generators in SUDG work in a slightly "different" way.

They charge the components of a ship, once these are charged, then the generators store a certain amount for later use.

Then let's say you use a weapon, then the generator uses the stored amount (from generators, drives) to instantly charge what has been used. In addition, generators send a certain amount of energy every turn, chaneled into whatever needs it.

Priority to defense (shields) before weapons when charging, then drives.

So it depends really, in your case, you have ONLY energy based weapons, so you need more generators for these components to recharge at a faster rate.
Also learn how to use the tap energy feature.

- -mAdMAx

(in reply to IonCannon)
Post #: 2
- 5/27/2002 6:24:12 AM   
Kahn

Glad to see you back Madmax, thought we'd lost ya!

What Madmax says is correct. You should though make certain that the number of generators (I usually have four if I have mostly energy shields/weapons on board for a crusier, three otherwise), is up to charging your weapons. An added benefit to having good power margins is that the energy weapons fire more often (thus eliminating the need for lots of them). My ships (unless I make a mistake, or the enemy get's a luck shot) usually have the opportunity to fire multiple times (without the fire twice artifiact) at multiple missiles/standoffs. :cool:

"The one you have to watch out for is the one you don't see comming!"
[B]Kahn[/B]

(in reply to IonCannon)
Post #: 3
- 5/27/2002 2:52:32 PM   
madmax88

I was here, little mishap with my computer... i had to format my drive and reinstall everything. Fortunately, i saved my race portraits for SUDG. ;)

As for weapons, each player can only fire once per turn for each weapon. Difference with energy based weapons is that you can tap energy from other systems to fire again within the dame turn.
When you do that without the right artifact, your weapons take 20% damage every time you fire. But this feature has saved me quite a few times... i love beam weapons! :D

- -mAdMAx

(in reply to IonCannon)
Post #: 4
- 5/28/2002 8:46:37 PM   
IonCannon

Thanks for the info guys :) Really appreciated, especially for clearing up how the generators worked, because I've always thought that what was shown in the power management screen was how much power there was left out of the total amount generated ie even if all the components were recharging again, there would still be that much energy left. Guess I read the manual wrong :D

Thanks again! :)

(in reply to IonCannon)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Number of generators needed... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI