Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Utah to the Rhine - Scen 1 Report - (spoilers)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Utah to the Rhine - Scen 1 Report - (spoilers) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Utah to the Rhine - Scen 1 Report - (spoilers) - 10/24/2000 12:55:00 PM   
bravo.john

6Jun44 - Birds Without Wings The invasion of France, time to put the nails in Germany's coffin. At least it is better than the Pacific. Jungle Rot, mosquitoes big enough to ride and a few million crazy Japs just waiting to kill me for the glory of Tojo, I'll gladly leave that to the Marines. Things were bad enough after the snafu that left our airborne company without any transports for the invasion. Instead we get stuck on a ship and landed on the beach on foot. Hell of a way to run a war. Ad hoc elements were being tossed together and sent forward to expand the landing enough to allow units to form up for an organized push into France. Not exactly what I expected, but we're right in the thick of things. Speaking of ad hoc elements, let me describe ours. A full company of angry airborne troopers, minus our wings of course. Our armor support is a platoon of Shermans who have no idea where their buddies got landed. A supply column got landed, but with nowhere to deliver supplies we 'borrowed' their trucks as well as a handful of jeeps for our recon guys. Eventually, I hope we can get some halftracks, it's bad enough worrying about AA in a plane, riding in the back of a canvas covered truck within rifle range of the enemy is not my idea of a safe trip. Not much prep time for our first mission, off to rescue forward elements of the 101st who are pinned down by a small enemy counterattack on the beachhead near some small hovel masquerading as a town on my map. All of our air support is tied up in interdiction of the enemy routes to our beachhead, I did manage to get allocated some artillery assets. I'm going to feel lousy blowing up that town, but I would feel a hell of a lot worse writing a bunch of letters to be sent home along with a bunch of flag draped coffins. I estimated that the enemy wasn't going to just sit there and let me ride right up to the town, so I divided my force into three platoons and took a high, middle and low route towards the objective. My Shermans were divided up to protect the upper and lower route. As expected the enemy sent armor around to flank us, our middle group reached the paratroopers without any trouble. The northern and southern groups got bogged down fighting enemy armor, at least they reached cover first. A large group of trees in the north, and the hamlet of La Grand Chemin in the south. The main objective got allocated all the support units for the company, the mortars and light machineguns were going to be needed there and were not going to be that useful against tanks. The battle was over relatively quickly, with masses of enemy armor destroyed in close combat and enemy infantry destroyed by artillery barrages and close range fire fights inside the objective. One action of note concerned Sgt Kellog and his Sherman crew. A German Stug came out of the smoke in the northern battle and blasted him, Sgt Kellog and his loader bailed out of the vehicle, took one look around for his attacker and immediately charged the Stug, destroying it in close combat. In my official report I recomended him for a Silver Star. Also reccomended for a Silver Star is Sgt Lopez, whose squad managed to destroy three PZ-Vg, three halftracks and four infantry units in the battle around the southern route. Our losses were some 150 men, 2 of our Shermans, 4 Trucks and Jeeps. The enemy lost nearly 500 men, 26 Tanks and 8 APCs. Final Score: 8847 - 1024 (Decisive Victory)

Post #: 1
- 10/24/2000 2:09:00 PM   
Latka

Nice AAR, Bravo.John. Glad to see 'em! I decided to replay that 1st scenario. Not tooooooo crazy about defending the beach. I can only imagine what those sneaky bastages would throw at me after their sneaky counterattacks in the 1st scenario! Even though I kinda know what is coming the 2nd time around, it is still one heckuva fun play, Wild Bill. Although - this time I stayed *way* clear of that friggin' pillbox! -Andy

(in reply to bravo.john)
Post #: 2
- 10/24/2000 10:55:00 PM   
Wild Bill

I don't blame you, Andy! Those fortifications can eat you alive! Nothing wrong with a replay of the first one. I would do the same thing. That is what a campaign is all about. Nice report, BJ! That is what it is all about, first defending, then counterattacking. So Kellogg and Lopez, did they receive their awards posthumously? I think Lopez is in line for the CMH with those kills! He won the day for you! Is he any kin to Audie Murphy? WB It's a pain in the butt having to come ashore in landing craft while your buddies flew in, ain't it? ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to bravo.john)
Post #: 3
- 10/25/2000 12:49:00 AM   
Latka

quote:

It's a pain in the butt having to come ashore in landing craft while your buddies flew in, ain't it?
Those little airborne sissies They do help out to slow that first German advance from the city though! Update...my Rangers are doing a great job. We're in the city now and occupy about 1/3 of it on turn 14. I think I may actually get it this time. -Andy

(in reply to bravo.john)
Post #: 4
- 10/25/2000 1:56:00 AM   
Windo von Paene

Well in my attempt at it, the Airborne units didn't need much help. With the AT guns and their own bravery, they toasted the halftracks and such coming from the city. In the north, they immobilized or killed all but one of the PIV's. Luckily I had a Sherman or two on hand to finish the rest of them off. Although I coulnd't do nothing to the Jdgz's. Especially since the Sherman's main guns malfunctioned > My main Infantry force was coming slowly across the north when they ran into the stugs. took them all out eventually but at quite a cost. Only ended up with a marginal, but Utah beach was a piece of cake, (ended at around turn 10 with a decisive). .50 cal MG's rock against those pesky PSW-222's. Killed three of them that way! Cartenan (sp?) is on turn 4 so far. Have secured the first two rows of VH's, and now have started to see what Gerry has coming SPOILER ALERT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . STUG CITY! Have taken out the western 88, and the eastern AT pillbox. But the Flammenpanzers are rolling up...things are going to get ugly very soon I think. Getting the Fo into position, and as soon as I take out that central 88 it will be time to call in the USAF. I figure WB has another one or two of those hidden around somewhere, but given the Stuart vs. Stug imbalances, I think I'm gonna need some air power...

(in reply to bravo.john)
Post #: 5
- 10/25/2000 12:39:00 PM   
bravo.john

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: So Kellogg and Lopez, did they receive their awards posthumously? I think Lopez is in line for the CMH with those kills! He won the day for you! Is he any kin to Audie Murphy?
They both managed to survive the battle. Kellog and his crewmate pulled back into the woods after taking out the tank and hid out with some of the airdropped HQ troops. Lopez and his squad didn't even take any casualties, they were deep inside the village and hit the tanks as they passed through. Enemy forces outside the village didn't get much of a LOS to them due to lots of smoke grenades dropped all around the area. After the tanks were gone, my main body had taken about 1/2 of the objectives and the Germans bypassed the village with the infantry column and tried to get to the center. The 57mm AT gun on the flank had a field day, taking almost no return fire and killing vehicles one after another. Then Lopez and the rest of his platoon sitting on the edge of the village shredded the surviving infantry and crews, as well as popping the odd halftrack that got too close with bazooka fire. Had the German tank troop commander survived, he would have been shot after reporting that he left his infantry behind and entered a smoke filled village known to contain enemy troops in defensive positions.

(in reply to bravo.john)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Utah to the Rhine - Scen 1 Report - (spoilers) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI