Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on the use of armored cars etc.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Question on the use of armored cars etc. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on the use of armored cars etc. - 10/24/2000 5:48:00 PM   
FWH_Odin

Hi all, got some newbie questions for you... When given PSWs, BTs etc. I like to send a few of them by the flanks to search for and neutralize on-board artillery. Sometimes I have them tag along with my armor platoons for anti-infantry and light vehicle support. I just roll them along a few hexes after the armor and bring them up when needed. I also scout with a few of them, although I prefer MC Infantry. So my question, can you give me some tips/strats when using quick units (24+ or something moves) Thanks for any replies

Post #: 1
- 10/24/2000 6:19:00 PM   
Fuerte2

I think that you answered your own question quite thoroughly. If those units are Recon units, then it is very easy to scout with them (when Command & Control is on), and take victory points even if you don't have any other of your own units nearby.

(in reply to FWH_Odin)
Post #: 2
- 10/24/2000 8:00:00 PM   
Grumble

Those are in fact, valid missions for Recce elements. Flank protection, screening and "raiding" (in SP terms, going after Onboard Arty, and HQ units) have been jobs for cavalry/light units almost since organized warfare began. German doctrine was to use the divisional reconaissance battalion in PzG/Pz divisions as a self contained mobile unit to quickly grab objectives; your tactics mirror this fairly well. I would suggest that instead of having them follow behind your AFV's they instead be used several hexes in front. Cheaper to lose an A/C than a tank.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to FWH_Odin)
Post #: 3
- 10/24/2000 9:42:00 PM   
FWH_Odin

Thanks for the replies! Oh BTW, should "Movement and Fire" be left on? Does it enrich the tactical part of the game?

(in reply to FWH_Odin)
Post #: 4
- 10/25/2000 4:09:00 AM   
Fabs

Movement & fire is very important. If you turn it off, your units will be able to use both their full movement potential and fire potential in the same turn. Turning it on makes the game more difficult, but is much more realistic.

Fabs

(in reply to FWH_Odin)
Post #: 5
- 10/25/2000 7:12:00 PM   
Charles22

Here's another tip that might be a gem. You could get 2-man recon squads and load them onto the vehicle. Are there any armored cars that allow loading? I don't remember. In any case, there are usually some fairly viable alternatives. In the Gerry OOBs, one could use those PZ1Bs or PZIICs and load them with recon (they definitely allow laoding) and these tanks have recon capabilities too. They're probably more expensive than the armored cars, but they're pretty fast and more surviveable. Halftracks are another thing again, but they are open-topped. Having rear-attacking units towing ATGs sounds like a pretty fascinating adventure (just think how awesome it would be to have halftracks towing the 75L48 later in the war!). My experience has been that while speedy recon type vehicles may cause a little mayhem when used on the rear of the enemy, I rarely see them come out better then inflicting 2 losses to 1 of theirs, which is a pretty high loss factor in your disfavor, though when the factor of the units costs are factored in, the ratio may be closer to 4-to-1, but if you're interested in those units surviving, there's way too many units that easily knock them out (one often has to hope the attacked unit has it's attention elsewhere and has little or no reactive capability).

(in reply to FWH_Odin)
Post #: 6
- 10/25/2000 11:07:00 PM   
Hauptmann6

Playing as the Russians in a campain against the germans startign in the winter of 43 my recon company has HQ Ba 64 1 plt Ba64 1plt Ski infantry(EVIL!!! I LOVE THEM!!!) 1plt Halftrack mounted Infantry (upgraded from truck scouts) In an attack they provide flank protection and if needed mount flank attacks In the defense they guard one of the rear objectives and provide a high speed reserve. I have only lost one armored car and the crew survived(knock on wood) If the enemy is detremined to attack them, they do a fighting withdrawl unless it has very many tanks then they just disapear. HTH

(in reply to FWH_Odin)
Post #: 7
- 10/25/2000 11:28:00 PM   
Skotty

On the flip side of the coin, I find the 50cal/57mm AT units a very good defense against AC's. I play a alot of lan games and usually play as US v German. My buddy LOVES to flank in both force and speed with German recon units. Since the current OOB's dont have enough US Halftrack's to carry all the units in a US Mech PLT,(PLEASE FIX THIS IN THE FINAL OOB's!!!), I always have a dismounted 50 cal and 57mm ATG. I then deploy these 2 units in mutual suppporting postions on the flanks of the map. A 50cal will pop open most light Gerry units like sardine cans with sustained fire, except maybe the Puma from front on, thats where the 57mm gun will step in. I love the effectiveness of the 50cal in SPWAW compared to all previous ver of stock SP games.

(in reply to FWH_Odin)
Post #: 8
- 10/25/2000 11:55:00 PM   
Charles22

Skotty: Yep, those 50-cals sure make for a wicked mg to use on lightly armored stuff (and it seems every unit has them - sort of like the 'every German tank is a Tiger' myth). It's one more reason why recon vehicles are all but useless against the US.

(in reply to FWH_Odin)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Question on the use of armored cars etc. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI