Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mine playing planes and aircombat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Mine playing planes and aircombat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 1:00:13 PM   
Cavalry Corp

STOCK PBEM APRIL 1943

So you cannot stop any mine laying planes, even in the day time ?

BUT are the CAP doing anything like gaining experience even though they can shoot at nothing

How many mines is a plane dropping , some planes are doing ift from 20,000 feet, was that possible?

In my game the allies from Darwin are laying mines all over the place with impunity and without risk

Cav.
Post #: 1
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 1:36:44 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

STOCK PBEM APRIL 1943

So you cannot stop any mine laying planes, even in the day time ?

BUT are the CAP doing anything like gaining experience even though they can shoot at nothing

How many mines is a plane dropping , some planes are doing ift from 20,000 feet, was that possible?

In my game the allies from Darwin are laying mines all over the place with impunity and without risk

Cav.

You can not stop them, your Cap is doing nothing. Cap does not gain exp. You have to look up the weight of the mine in the database and see how many mines a bomber can drop. It´s not really a great "feature".

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 2
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 2:24:06 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Oh I wonder who designed this !

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 3
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 3:25:20 PM   
herwin

quote:

HISTORY

The air-dropped mine offensive during Mar-Aug 1945 was the cheapest and most effective operation against Japanese merchant shipping.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 4
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 4:15:14 PM   
Dili

quote:

Someone not right in their mind!

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 4:42:53 PM   
Cavalry Corp

Allied planes do not bomb me or my ships they mine every base its March 1943
C

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 6
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 5:51:52 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

HISTORY

The air-dropped mine offensive during Mar-Aug 1945 was the cheapest and most effective operation against Japanese merchant shipping.

HISTORY

they did this in single flights or small groups and not in 200 bomber formation raids during bright daylight against bases ports that had a couple of dozen Japanese fighters in the air.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 6:00:53 PM   
tocaff

The truth is the USAAC mined the inland sea and didn't meet any resistance. They were in and out long before the Japanese could respond.  So if you're upset that you can't CAP and resist this operation don't feel bad as it's historical.  During this time span the Japanese could barely defend their cities and even that was ineffective.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

Post #: 8
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 6:16:47 PM   
88l71

I see your point tocaff but IIRC while the mining operation was successful it was seen by the AAF as lower priority than the bombing campaign, the problem isn't that you can't fight it but you can do it in much-larger-than-historical numbers. I guess the only in-game counter would be to destroy the bombers on the ground but if you're Japanese in 43 that would probably be rather risky.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 9
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 6:22:07 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

The truth is the USAAC mined the inland sea and didn't meet any resistance. They were in and out long before the Japanese could respond.  So if you're upset that you can't CAP and resist this operation don't feel bad as it's historical.  During this time span the Japanese could barely defend their cities and even that was ineffective.

so if 200 bombers show up during daylight in the Tokyo hex to plant 800 mines and you have 200 Franks on Cap sometime in late 44 then it´s ok for you if the Franks just watch the bombers dropping their mine while saying: "don´t attack them, they´re only laying mines"?

Yes?

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 10
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 7:57:19 PM   
Feinder

quote:

So can Japan.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Post #: 11
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 10:02:07 PM   
Dili

quote:

The truth is the USAAC mined the inland sea and didn't meet any resistance. They were in and out long before the Japanese could respond.

It doesn't matters if the did get or not oposition, it was technically feasible so it could have happened. If Japan made that a priority, or if Japan at that time was in a better shape with resources to spend it could intercept those bombers. Even absent a gigantic raid like castor troy says and shows in its full colors this decision lets suppose Japan is winning the war, with a rather good hundreds of fighters. They can't do anything because someone just tought didn't happened so could not happen, that is my problem with hardcode and fixed outcomes...

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 12
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 10:58:46 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

quote:

The truth is the USAAC mined the inland sea and didn't meet any resistance. They were in and out long before the Japanese could respond.

It doesn't matters if the did get or not oposition, it was technically feasible so it could have happened. If Japan made that a priority, or if Japan at that time was in a better shape with resources to spend it could intercept those bombers. Even absent a gigantic raid like castor troy says and shows in its full colors this decision lets suppose Japan is winning the war, with a rather good hundreds of fighters. They can't do anything because someone just tought didn't happened so could not happen, that is my problem with hardcode and fixed outcomes...

HISTORY

The airborne campaign began in the summer of 1943. It was very effective at shutting down Japanese coastal shipping.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 13
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/26/2009 11:29:24 PM   
Dili

And?

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 14
RE: Mine playing planes and aircombat - 6/27/2009 1:35:22 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

quote:

HISTORY

The airborne campaign began in the summer of 1943. It was very effective at shutting down Japanese coastal shipping.

Yes, that would be when the americans contracted Godzilla to use his little used flying powers (as seen in Godzilla vs the Smog Monster) to attack IJ shipping. Sure, Godzilla could attack them from the sea, as usual, but they found that damage was much more quick in coming when he splashed into the sea (collatural splash effects causing tidal waves); complete without parachute of course. The americans quizzed if it were truly airborne attack if Godzilla didn't use parachutes, but it mattered little to the Japanese. Consequently, Raymond Burr became a japanese sympathizer, and it is just before Burr switches sides that we see the first Godzilla attack on Tokyo proper. Afterwards, working undercover, Burr returned to the USA in vengeance boredom attacks on american entertainment, otherwise known as Perry Mason.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Mine playing planes and aircombat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI