Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

For those of you who are interested in History…

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> For those of you who are interested in History… Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
For those of you who are interested in History… - 5/27/2002 4:10:10 AM   
Micah Goodman

I would like to recommend four books about the Pacific War. The first, The Thousand Mile War, by Brian Garfield is an in depth History of the War in the Aleutian Islands. To my knowledge it is the only in depth History about the Aleutian war. The only negative is that I do not think that the book is currently in print. I bought a copy in Ketchikan back in 90 when I was working in one of the many seafood processors in the panhandle of Alaska. I think the copy I bought was several years old when I bought it so you may have to try finding a copy in the library.

The second book is an autobiography by Harold Buell called Dauntless Helldivers. It covers his wartime experiences. Commander Buell is the only known Naval Aviator to have been present at all five major carrier battles in the Pacific. He was also part of Enterprise flight 300 that fought along side the Cactus Air Force during the height of the struggle on Guadalcanal. This is my favorite autobiography that I have read involving the war in the Pacific. The downside, I don’t know if this book is in print or not.

The third book is called Guadalcanal by Richard F. Frank and deals of course with Guadalcanal. It covers Allied and Japanese sides very well. It also includes an extensive OOB for the forces involved. This book is in print. It shows the mistakes committed by both sides and why they made them, as well as the things they did right.

The fourth and final book is called Operation Iceberg by Gerald Astor. It like many of his books is done in semi interview form. He uses first hand narrations to break up the historical account of events. While I was aware that the US Army committed forces to Iceberg I did not know how large the Army presence was. You never hear the Army mentioned when you hear about Okinawa. But you do hear about the Marine Corps….
Post #: 1
- 5/27/2002 4:20:29 AM   
Mojo

Thanks Micah. These will go on my ever growing list of books to read.

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Micah Goodman)
Post #: 2
- 5/27/2002 5:55:58 AM   
Micah Goodman

You are welcome Mojo. After reading those books I have come to the same conclusion that Mr Buell arrived at, simply Guadalcanal was the turning point of the war in the Pacific not Midway. While Midway made success possible at Guadalcanal, Guadalcanal sealed the fate for Japan's war in the Pacific. Had Japan defeated the Americans at Guadalcanal it seems possible that the Japanese could have turned the war around. After Guadalcanal the Japanese had no intact Air groups left and had suffered losses in their Navy and Army air forces that they could simply not replace after their defeat at Midway. The losses the American flattops were replaced in a year and its air groups grew by leaps and bounds. The Japanese never reached anything close to the quality the Americans had again. A universal failure of the axis nations to use a large number of their combat veterans to train replacements ultimately sealed their doom.

Post #: 3
- 5/27/2002 6:40:10 AM   
dgaad

John Costello's "The Pacific War" cannot be beat as the most comprehensive single volume covering the entire conflict in the Pacific.

Last time I checked, the forums were messed up. ;)

Post #: 4
- 5/27/2002 6:55:48 AM   
dgaad

Words like "turning point" always lead to battles about the meaning of words : semantics or sophistry.

The assessment of Japanese fortunes was most presciently given by the Commander in Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy himself, Admiral Yamamoto, who said that in the first six months he would bring victory after victory, after that, if the United States has not been forced to the peace table, there would be nothing but defeat.

The Battle of the Coral Sea occurred exactly 6 months to the day after Pearl Harbor, on May 7th, 1942. In this battle, for the first time, a strategic offensive by the IJN and IJA was stymied by US naval forces. Having defeated fleet after fleet and army after army all across the Pacific, here for the first time the Japanese were turned back. The irony and significance of this was apparent to Yamamoto and several of his advisors.

But, in truth, the "turning point" if we want to call it that, came much earlier. It came with the very victories the Japanese had gained. For in these triumphs of arms, the Japanese, almost to a man, believed that fighting spirit could overcome material superiority, they believed that whatever they decided to do, within reason, could be accomplished simply because the Japanese navy could not be defeated, and the Japanese army had defeated time and again vastly superior forces. It has been called "Victory Disease".

These assumptions were false, of course. The string of Japanese victories had as much to do with Allied unpreparedness, the treachery of a surprise attack, and the years of combat experience the Japanese had had over the preceeding 4 plus years in China, as it did with anything else. Once the Allies recovered from the surprise attack, brought their material resources to bear, and channeled the fury of vengeance brought about by the "dastardly" nature of their war, these advantages would wither and fade. That's exactly what happened. At Guadalcanal, for example, and other battles after that, US forces killed or wounded far more soldiers and pilots than they themselves lost. And the Japanese had less to spare.

But, all told, it was not the material superiority of the Americans that defeated the Japanese at Guadalcanal. It was the false assumptions held by so many Japanese officers. In the early days of the Guadalcanal campaign, the Japanese could have easily landed several divsions and wiped out the Marine beachead. Instead, time and again, officers claimed they would only need a regiment or a battalion to do the job when a division or brigade was ready and able to go. They disdained the fighting ability of "the white man" (their words, not mine), and the democracies in particular. Their battalions were wiped out in Banzai charges, and American air and material superiority led to a situation, eventually, where there were 30,000 Japanese soldiers on Guadalcanal, nearly all of them starving.

Post #: 5
- 5/27/2002 9:08:20 AM   
Griffin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dgaad
[B]John Costello's "The Pacific War" cannot be beat as the most comprehensive single volume covering the entire conflict in the Pacific. [/B][/QUOTE]

Could you post more information about this book (author, ISBN)?

TIA.

Post #: 6
- 5/27/2002 9:18:48 AM   
dgaad

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Griffin
[B]

Could you post more information about this book (author, ISBN)?

TIA. [/B][/QUOTE]

The author of John Costello's Pacific War is . . . John Costello. :D

Quill, 1982, ISBN 0-688-01620-0

A very good list of books on the history of the Pacific War can also be found here

http://www.dropbears.com/b/broughsbooks/military/pacific_war.htm

This list also includes an Amazon link to Costello's book.

Post #: 7
- 5/30/2002 10:30:29 AM   
Paul Dyer

I'll second the recommendation for the book by Harold Buell. Found it in the Library, and have just bought it second hand from Amazon for $9 (theres plenty left). As well as his unique combat experience, the author also has a PhD in history - quite a combination.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> For those of you who are interested in History… Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI