Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WAR Game Play

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> WAR Game Play Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WAR Game Play - 6/30/2009 4:54:40 AM   
biochembri

I just purchased WAR from matrix as a digital download. I updated with the two updates and started playing against the AI. I am an experienced CC player having played since CCII, my favorite being CCIII as it seems to have the right mix of game play and reality.

I was surprised to see on my first game (and it repeated on each game play) that the setup for the attacking German forces was very small, no surprise. However, as soon as there was an LOS to one of my units the amount of artillery that poured down on me was so enormous and effective that I had no mobile tank units, most were destroyed and most of my infantry was destroyed or not effective. I found that during almost any type of movement infantry are shot to pieces even in good cover. Open topped vehicles simply cant move without morters destroying them without LOS. I also found that as soon as an anti-tank gun fires it is immediately destroyed by enemy mortars (as stated in other posts on this fourm). Seems CCIII had that balance correct, why not copy that!

This brings me to the conlusion that the choice of units and setup locations seems to be irrelevant in this game. Since everything is dead at the start or immobile there is nothing left to do but sit there until time runs out. Sneaking around with a few guys left in a squad to try to capture a postion covered by a bunch of shermans is not much fun.

I guess my question can be summed up as, how do you play a game like this? I understand it is heavily modded from the original, as I have played the original. The artillery was seriously underpowerd in the original, but at least you could move something! I do enjoy the new vehicle graphics and small soldiers mod, but it seems like nothing to do but sit and get blown up. The tank crews seem to work now as forward observers for the artillery. Maybe they should not have the ability to do that, just a thought.

The original game had the American armor as very weak compared to the panthers. Now, the Shermans rule the battle field. Even a jagdpanzer IV/70 cannot penetrate the frontal armor of a sherman, must be all of the sand bags? I was going to play this head to head with my friend, but as it is maybe we will stick with CCIII cross of iron.

I am not looking for reality arguments about how much artillery the Americans had on elsborn ridge or the effectiveness of the new TOT shells, but rather why the game is so unplayable. Another note that comes to mind is the frequency of immobilizations on the german assualt guns, this is a serious problem as they do not have turrets to move. I believe in a head to head game the americans with the artillery will stop the germans cold.

One more question, does Matrix games have any plans to make this more playable?

I have read the threads about the LOS issue, I have not even had a chance to look for that one!

I have had a load of fun with CCIII original and CC Cross of Iron. But so far I do not understand the WAR. I was planning on purchasing CC normandy but I am taking a wait and see attitude at this point.
Brian
Post #: 1
RE: WAR Game Play - 6/30/2009 5:29:31 AM   
Andrew Williams

Very interesting post.

Day 1 of the campaign the allies have no off board support at all, no artillery , no Mortars and no Aircraft... so makes me wonder at your first point.

I will address your other points................

Attachment (1)

(in reply to biochembri)
Post #: 2
RE: WAR Game Play - 6/30/2009 5:31:13 AM   
Andrew Williams

Initial setup area was maximimised where possible and cover provided so that attacking forces have a jump off point.

You will see this is vastly improved over the original CC4 where there truly was killing fields.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 3
RE: WAR Game Play - 6/30/2009 5:36:18 AM   
Andrew Williams

You will see here a few posts where the Germans seem to have no trouble making headway... even the AI has managed to make some ground in one post.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1944936

And , although these fellows are using modded data files in their H2H campaign they are battling on the same maps.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2031721&mpage=10

Post #: 4
RE: WAR Game Play - 6/30/2009 5:41:58 AM   
Andrew Williams

Also worth noting there is no small soldiers mod in the retail release... are you playing with modded files?

I see you are having problems with immobilized assaulot guns... the best remedy is to not let them get hit by AP or HE shells as these cause quite a bit of damage.

Post #: 5
RE: WAR Game Play - 6/30/2009 6:09:07 AM   
mooxe

Yeap... vehicles and ATGs (and some tanks) are completely useless in WaR and TLD. Hide a couple 81mm in the corner of the map and bomb every one you see. The effectiveness of weapons, particularly indirect fire support has been a problem since Modern Tactics was released. No matter how much bitching and moaning anyone can do about it, Strategy 3 Tactics is completely dedicated to teaching us how historically accurate and devastating artillery and mortar fire can be at the price of gameplay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: biochembri

I just purchased WAR from matrix as a digital download. I updated with the two updates and started playing against the AI. I am an experienced CC player having played since CCII, my favorite being CCIII as it seems to have the right mix of game play and reality.

I was surprised to see on my first game (and it repeated on each game play) that the setup for the attacking German forces was very small, no surprise. However, as soon as there was an LOS to one of my units the amount of artillery that poured down on me was so enormous and effective that I had no mobile tank units, most were destroyed and most of my infantry was destroyed or not effective. I found that during almost any type of movement infantry are shot to pieces even in good cover. Open topped vehicles simply cant move without morters destroying them without LOS. I also found that as soon as an anti-tank gun fires it is immediately destroyed by enemy mortars (as stated in other posts on this fourm). Seems CCIII had that balance correct, why not copy that!

This brings me to the conlusion that the choice of units and setup locations seems to be irrelevant in this game. Since everything is dead at the start or immobile there is nothing left to do but sit there until time runs out. Sneaking around with a few guys left in a squad to try to capture a postion covered by a bunch of shermans is not much fun.

I guess my question can be summed up as, how do you play a game like this? I understand it is heavily modded from the original, as I have played the original. The artillery was seriously underpowerd in the original, but at least you could move something! I do enjoy the new vehicle graphics and small soldiers mod, but it seems like nothing to do but sit and get blown up. The tank crews seem to work now as forward observers for the artillery. Maybe they should not have the ability to do that, just a thought.

The original game had the American armor as very weak compared to the panthers. Now, the Shermans rule the battle field. Even a jagdpanzer IV/70 cannot penetrate the frontal armor of a sherman, must be all of the sand bags? I was going to play this head to head with my friend, but as it is maybe we will stick with CCIII cross of iron.

I am not looking for reality arguments about how much artillery the Americans had on elsborn ridge or the effectiveness of the new TOT shells, but rather why the game is so unplayable. Another note that comes to mind is the frequency of immobilizations on the german assualt guns, this is a serious problem as they do not have turrets to move. I believe in a head to head game the americans with the artillery will stop the germans cold.

One more question, does Matrix games have any plans to make this more playable?

I have read the threads about the LOS issue, I have not even had a chance to look for that one!

I have had a load of fun with CCIII original and CC Cross of Iron. But so far I do not understand the WAR. I was planning on purchasing CC normandy but I am taking a wait and see attitude at this point.
Brian

Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.

(in reply to biochembri)
Post #: 6
RE: WAR Game Play - 6/30/2009 7:44:52 AM   
biochembri

Thank you for the response.

I should have clarified that I was playing fortified goose egg operation as the germans.

Brian

(in reply to biochembri)
Post #: 7
RE: WAR Game Play - 6/30/2009 8:18:53 AM   
Tejszd

biochembri, a couple of pointers for you;

1. The setup areas in WAR are much larger than CC4 to avoid the problem you describe of having no cover to start for your forces. Use the cover that is available and keep your units spread out.
2. There can only be one artillery strike per battle so try to avoid grouping troops together until it has been used.
3. On elite, which I assume you have set the AI to, the US player gets a large number of M4A3E2 Jumbo Shermans. These tanks have more armour and better fire power than regular shermans so avoid a H2H battle with them. Maybe set the AI at a lower level to begin playing WAR.
4. At the ranges most armour encounters take place at in CC most tanks can kill each other so play conservatively with your armour.

< Message edited by Tejszd -- 7/1/2009 8:29:48 PM >

(in reply to biochembri)
Post #: 8
RE: WAR Game Play - 6/30/2009 8:19:31 AM   
Andrew Williams

Just looking at the data for the upcoming patch... mortars look like they have been reduced a little in power. (25%)

But I don't think that will make a huge difference.

(in reply to biochembri)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> WAR Game Play Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI