Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kayaba Ka-1 'Ka-Go' + Akitsu Maru footage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Kayaba Ka-1 'Ka-Go' + Akitsu Maru footage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kayaba Ka-1 'Ka-Go' + Akitsu Maru footage - 7/21/2009 9:19:37 PM   
Shark7

Found this while surfing, no idea if its been seen before. Ver interesting. Apparantly this is film of the flight trials of the Navalized version doing take offs and landings from the Akitsu Maru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EFt7cLCRSY&feature=related

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Post #: 1
RE: Kayaba Ka-1 'Ka-Go' + Akitsu Maru footage - 7/21/2009 10:36:32 PM   
Local Yokel

Think I've seen part of this footage before, but thanks for posting! I understand that the autogiro's neglible payload precluded its use as an ASW platform.

At 1.03 into the footage there's a brief view of a Japanese equivalent to the Slingsby Grasshopper primary glider - footage of one in flight here, 2.04 in. Basically you are in flight sitting on a girder 3 inches wide, so the sense of exposure is substantial. Launch is by means of a Y-shaped bungee cord, pulled by members of the team. I have fond memories of this little aeroplane: I once routed the cadet force band when I overshot my intended landing area!

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 2
RE: Kayaba Ka-1 'Ka-Go' + Akitsu Maru footage - 7/21/2009 11:59:05 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

Think I've seen part of this footage before, but thanks for posting! I understand that the autogiro's neglible payload precluded its use as an ASW platform.

At 1.03 into the footage there's a brief view of a Japanese equivalent to the Slingsby Grasshopper primary glider - footage of one in flight here, 2.04 in. Basically you are in flight sitting on a girder 3 inches wide, so the sense of exposure is substantial. Launch is by means of a Y-shaped bungee cord, pulled by members of the team. I have fond memories of this little aeroplane: I once routed the cadet force band when I overshot my intended landing area!

Actually, I have seen the Ka-1 accredited with sinking 1 submarine, apparantly they were used for shore based coastal ASW. Be interesting if someone can confirm that.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 3
RE: Kayaba Ka-1 'Ka-Go' + Akitsu Maru footage - 7/22/2009 2:39:48 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

Actually, I have seen the Ka-1 accredited with sinking 1 submarine, apparantly they were used for shore based coastal ASW. Be interesting if someone can confirm that.

Wiki says: "There are some information that suggests that the autogyros were responsible for at least one sunken submarine.[citation needed] "

i've never heard of a US sub being sunk by one... nor a Brit... so unless it was a Russian, or Dutch one (again - i've reviewed Dutch subs, and i've never seen anything about it...), i doubt the claim... i suppose the IJA could have accidentally sunk a IJ sub by mistake (but i haven't heard of this, either.)

It could be some very recent information, however, that hasn't been widely released...

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Kayaba Ka-1 'Ka-Go' + Akitsu Maru footage - 7/22/2009 2:42:14 AM   
rtrapasso

According to this source:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=151262

There was a claim by a Ka-1, but it was never confirmed.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 5
RE: Kayaba Ka-1 'Ka-Go' + Akitsu Maru footage - 7/22/2009 3:15:42 AM   
Shark7

I didn't think it would be confirmed. We will always have to wonder just how effective these could have been, since the two carriers that were to utilize the navalized KA-1s were both sunk (by submarines ironically, IIRC) prior to embarking the aircraft. In a modern battlefield, the helicoptor is the ultimate sub hunter, KA-1 was the forerunner.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 6
RE: Kayaba Ka-1 'Ka-Go' + Akitsu Maru footage - 7/22/2009 1:44:43 PM   
Terminus

The autogyro could carry about 200lbs of bombs, nowhere near enough to be an effective anti-submarine weapon. I'd take that claim with a shipping container of salt.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Kayaba Ka-1 'Ka-Go' + Akitsu Maru footage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI