Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

seth v hellcat - Tunisia10k

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> seth v hellcat - Tunisia10k Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
seth v hellcat - Tunisia10k - 5/21/2002 2:08:18 PM   
hellcat

well we finally got it sorted out! Wild Bill#s Tunisia map, 10k points, USA v Axis. The date is May 1943. Me USA, Seth is Axis with 3000 points of Italians in the mix. The first thing Seth knew about it was seeing 4 transport planes swooping overhead, dropping their lethal load :D we already notched up 2 of them 90mm camion thingies - way to go Airborne!

The map is hilly as heck but with some wide open spaces too... oh yeah and vehicles make dust trails...

with a bombardment of smoke, followed by shells on the Axis forward positions the battle has begun....

Post #: 1
- 5/24/2002 12:47:06 AM   
Seth

Okay, so apparently Italian AA units couldn't stop a drop. I didin't see anything on the replay, but all the guns were pointing every which way, so I assume I shot at them. My turn commences. The Italian armor advances, sees a Sheman, retreats. That's about all I will accomplish with it, no doubt. My motorized Italian infantry rides forward, and dukes it out with recon elements on a central hill. Losses are about even. A tank, and some other heavy stuff is spotted, and more competent (German) support is moved forward. One of my 90mm trucks seeks to avenge it's fallen comrades. All of the paratroopers seem to have been bazooka squads!? Too bad I bought flame-halftracks. Welcome to Africa, hot enough for ya? Three or four squads bite the hot dust as the flamethrowers ride forward. Still, a diversion in my rear is an annoyance at the very least, quite possibly dangerous. In the north, I move forward to take posession of a hill at the top of the map.

"They were sure of victory, the men of the German cavalry, as they rode on."

Rather fiercer combat takes place here. There are actual squads, not just recon, and my casualties are greater, although I destroy a sniper, a bazooka team or two, and drive off the actual infantry. One of my recon teams is nearly destroyed by an American squad returning fire at a halftrack!

German recon appears on the central hill, and proves more effective. They kill a few small squads, and supress an ATG. Hopefully, the Italians will learn by their example.
Seth

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 2
- 5/24/2002 7:07:21 AM   
hellcat

The battle is joined! My small airborne drop was only small units in fact and are there mainly for spotting purposes :) One weird thing which must have happened when loading onto the planes was one of my bazooka units was carrying a sniper unit? who duly unloaded and went running off (!??) lazy bugger.

Axis AA did hit most of the planes but didn't down anything.

Enemy recon units seem to be everywhere and have engaged mine, we smoked quite a few halftracks this turn and have spotted Panthers in the centre of the map near a village. There are also some Italian tanks making a push ahead of them as well as a Stug33B trundling up a hill...

no sign of any Tigers, at least not yet...

The map is dominated by a belt of hills in the centre all of which seem to have firefights going down on them...

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 3
- 5/25/2002 10:30:56 AM   
Seth

Well, his turn was rough on my light armor. A bunch TL-37's and 250/1's went up in smoke. I pretty much did not return fire. I think I had taken all my shots trying to drive the infantry away.
My turn: The flame squad takes care of some more light units, but I think some are still hanging out. On the northern hill, My StuG drive away more infantry, and my cavalry are raked by a 50 cal as they assist. I finally spot it, and a 250/9 whacks it with 20mm. Just to the south, American infantry has taken a village, but my Tigers and some cavalry take it back. In the center, I can only try to regroup until help comes. Further south, I destroy the ATG's crew and kill several small squads, More Tigers arrive, and kill a Jeep. My 90mm Lancia truck whiffs on a scout car, which then supresses an ATG which fires on it, so I fall back to the old stand-by, the 81mm AT-mortar ;) It works again. Lots of artillery is falling on and around me, so a general advance is ordered, at least to get out of the storm.
Seth

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 4
- 5/25/2002 11:47:40 AM   
hellcat

Argh! German air attack! Although one german plane is burning in our rear areas :) It hurt all the same :mad:

On the Northern hill we took out two of those Monster Stugs and in the South we even killed a Tiger :) There quite a lot of enemy infantry around and armor too! But we're holding our own ok for now...

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 5
- 5/26/2002 1:39:06 AM   
Seth

I am very impressed by my air support, not so much by anything else. I got one or two M10's, a halftrack, a Sherman, an engineer squad, and some minor casualties to infantry.

My turn: In the north, I accomplish very little. Another Sherman dies, and I get some infantry, but my FJ troops are utterly useless. They flee when fired on, and totally fail to kill a Sherman in three tries. I finish cleaning out the village, wiping out the last of the troops, and their two jeeps. I spot another M10, but I can't get at it. This exposes me to another ATG, which suffers casualties. I think I may have gotten all of the paratroops in the south, but my Italian AA trucks heading south to help meet some more. Futher south, very little happens. I lose another Tiger at point blank to a Shermn, after missing it three times. My commandos infiltrate, and kill an MMG, they assault a Sherman, but are driven off.
Seth

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 6
- 5/26/2002 8:14:25 AM   
hellcat

fighting everywhere! Kills include 2 pzivs, a monster Stug 33B, a Tiger! :), some of those Italian camions with big guns on and... the enemy AO! :D That's two AOs I killed in one day! He must have been inspecting the front or something...

Fighting is pretty intense on some of the hilltops and Seth is pushing through with Tigers and Pzivs near that village. Some more airborne have dropped in and are preparing to say 'hi!' and some (?) of Seths infiltrators have been found and targeted.

I lost a Sherman (sorry Jess :rolleyes: )

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 7
- 5/29/2002 9:58:15 AM   
Seth

God, this is really getting ugly. I couldn't even watch the playback. My troops are terrible. New strategy. Everything Italian will advance as far as it possibly can, and use all of it's shots every turn, because they never shoot back anyway, and recon by death is the only use for them. Most German stuff may as well do the same.
I lost more on my turn than he did. In the North, my moronic cavalry loses two units, FJ's lose one, and a recon team bites it. I kill a crew and an Airborne Sqd.
Near the village, I lose two or three SMV 75/34's. I kill a Sherman, maybe a unit of infantry, and to the west I kill an ATG's halftrack. I supress an ATG behind the hill. For the loss of one ATR team, I kill a Jeep. I notice that American Jeeps still have front armor. I should have killed at least one more.
To the south, I lose a crew and some random casualties. Not much happens here, mostly because I can't see anything, even the .50 cal that's massacring my infantry. I don't care. I'm going to take their guns away and make them all walk forward getting shot by it until it runs out of ammo.
In my rear, the southern attack seems to be dead, and I find a nonrthern one. GGFF sqds rush to the scene and amazingly manage to inflict a decent number of casualties. I then get the survivors running with my Wurfrahmens. I accidentally kill a few Italians, but they're useless anyway. I may employ the one or two remaining rockets to destroy some squads that have been pinned and won't rally. Beware, my worthless Italiani.
In his rear, my Spec Ops men seem to have fallen into a bunch of reinforcements, so they're a total write-off. I do kill an M16 AA halftrack. Gee, that was worth 300 points of dead guys. I plan to drink heavily before unzipping the next turn.
Seth

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 8
- 5/30/2002 3:01:50 AM   
hellcat

we took out the two lead pzivs of Seth's armored advance in my centre, unfortunately the rest will be harder to deal with as they are Tigers... Our advance in the South has picked up again and we've sent some Fjs to the grave. My airborne sneaking up to the german rockets were caught in the open sadly. However, there's lots of fighting going on round the centre hill features one of which is covered in Italian tanks !! A Platoon of german engineers have been sent scurrying back to their lines. If only those Tigers were easier to kill :(

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 9
- 5/30/2002 10:38:40 AM   
Seth

I can't believe it, but it keeps getting worse. I killed a jeep, a few units of infantry, a halftrack and two crews. I lost about 5 squads, and two L6 Fiamas. I got so pissed (they both moved one hex and were shot) that I drove the third back and forth, but all the other shots missed. A fourth attempted to retreat through a wall. I then lost a small halftrack by mistake when I clicked on the map while firing. The Americans seem to have about 6 shots every turn, and 3 on my turn. I shoot twice on my turn, and maybe once on his. If you would like to kill the last P26/40, please do so. He has been at about 70 supression since the second turn. He will not rally or retreat. Do not worry, he isn't dangerous. Let me know if you want him, and I'll move everything else out of the way (not that they would actually hit you with op-fire, but...). I really should have retreated everything Italian off the map on the first turn. You'll kill all 3K points of them, and they'll kill maybe 200-300 points of Americans. That, and I'm going to have a coronary watching them on the replay. All of the spec ops are dead, or will be soon. Two units have not appeared, but if they do, they'll die almost immediately. The one bright spot: Airstrike Two, the Revenge.
The MC 205's kill a Wolverine and an M19 GMC. The Me 410 does nothing, and the Ju.87G's get another M19, and the ammo truck supplying the battery. I hope I last long enough to call them back.

Did 7.1 bring back supression of armor? All my tanks get supressed when fired on with anything. A hit by a 30cal gave one tank 11 supression. This shouldn't happen. Only hits by AP should cause more than 1 supression.
Seth

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 10
- 6/1/2002 12:53:28 AM   
hellcat

The Tigers have been taken down to chinatown :D

My newly arrived airborne droppas report a lot of hardware still in the back but we seem to have pretty much stopped the Axis advance in it's tracks (literally)

We're making good headway in the South but two hills north and centre remain to be cleared. Enemy Tigers have been a real nemesis and taking shots in my turn (btw Seth) but the Wolverines and even 3 inch AT have been worth their points. Those Stug 33Bs are horrible! Not sure how many more of those still need hunting down...

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 11
- 6/2/2002 3:01:54 AM   
Seth

For the first time in a long time, I have an acceptable turn. For a few losses, I destroy a halftrack, a 3in ATG, and kill several units of infantry, while damaging more. The new paratroopers will be dealt with very quickly, it appears.
Seth

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 12
- 6/2/2002 7:27:36 AM   
hellcat

we're smashing up a lot of Axis hardware, although we did lose a couple of tanks to assaults. My rangers report more Tigers rushing to the front :(

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 13
- 6/4/2002 10:26:30 AM   
Seth

Well, another okay turn, in that the only stuff that dies is Italian, save a Wurfrahmen that had no ammo. I lost 2 more SMVs and two SPAA 37s, but they're all as good as dead, so I keep smiling. I suffered some infantry casualties, but I killed two 50cal MGs (those things are butchers), a Wolverine (after ~20 assaults), a Sherman crew, and several infantry units, including many of the rear area vermin. My Tigers are trucking to the front, safe in the knowledge that not enough American tanks are left to kill quite all of them. I expect 70% casualties by the time I kill the last rear area unit. I forgot that any plane with bombs magically damages itself and won't come back. I thought I was okay with planes with AP guns. Oh well.
Seth

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 14
- 6/5/2002 12:41:42 AM   
hellcat

another Tiger is retired... I don't think those new ones will be enough Seth! I have plenty of Wolves yet and we are starting to eat up your South sector. Fresh troops have arrived which will now allow us to take the hill in the North back and all my armor is on the move... forward!

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 15
- 6/7/2002 9:36:57 AM   
Seth

Well, maybe I should stick to playing against the computer. I will probably lose a few thousand infantry with no real results. In the North, I kill a squad or two, lose one myself, and fail in 8 assaults versus tanks. This means that next turn I will lose 5 units of infantry. In the center, I accomplish very little, except the loss of some more Italian garbage. I do destroy one or two squads. In the rear, I am having a much better time. I destroy 4-5 units of infantry, with the loss of a pointless AA truck, and a few infantrymen. In the South, things are just ugly, and I try to get away.
Seth

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 16
tiger tiger burning bright... - 6/8/2002 1:04:37 AM   
hellcat

an influx of rangers in the back found two tigers and promptly immobilised one... the other 4 are racing to the front and are now only 3... :)

Mopping up continues a pace but seth still has two vital hills which my infantry reinforcements will be directed towards...

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 17
- 6/8/2002 10:08:55 AM   
Seth

God, how many people do you have? I keep thinking I've seen the last reinforcement, but apparently all the Americans cost next to nothing. Tons of tanks, halftracks, paratroops, and special forces, and now there are some more infantry on the way! Anyway, in the north very little happens. I kill an engineer squad, a Sherman (and the crew), and the Wolverine that got the Tiger is dispatched by an SMV 90. That's two now, it must be really embarassing to get killed by such a worthless foe. By the way, when two Tigers are parked, and a Wolverine drives a few hexes into view, and then opens fire, and gets 4-5 shots, something must be wrong. Not only did the Tigers only fire back 3 times, but their highest 'to hit' was 24%. Plus, they only fired after the Wolverine got a shot, and it was firing at about 50%. I nailed the Wolverine and must have damaged it badly (*** to the hull), but it then shot back at 54% to kill the Tiger. What is wrong with my units? Granted, my tactics, especially with the infantry, have been rather medieval, but still...
In the center, I kill what I think may be the last of a small group of airborne, plus their two supporting MG jeeps. Heroic infantry destroy another Sherman near the town. I also kill the crew of a Wolverine to the south of the center hill. Down south, I am too busy running away to do much, but I do kill the crew of a Sherman, and engage some engineers.
On the rear security scene, I am now scurrying to find, and kill, all of the Rangers. The Tigers get one squad, and spot some more. One of my AA halftracks finds a squad by being assaulted, but its mate mauls the Rangers, and the Italians should be able to deal with the few men left. I know there are a lot more hiding out there, but I think I can manage.
This excellent (for me) turn is balanced by a lackluster airstrike. One Wolverine is damaged, but not badly, and an M3 Scout car is damaged. In return, one of my Ju. 87s is hit, and probably won't come back.
Seth

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 18
die hard - 6/8/2002 11:49:33 PM   
hellcat

the fighting is getting nasty again, no real problems in the South, where vehicles are now filtering through to the aid of the rangers (who did well) but I lost a couple of wolverines elsewhere and immobilised another. We found a Tiger we didn't even know about either! The first inf reinforcements have arrived to retake the Northern hill... we expect to be able to make a more positive report shortly!

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 19
- 6/9/2002 3:02:01 AM   
Seth

So, an acceptable turn for me again.
In the North, arriving infantry are harshly dealt with, and one squad is destroyed. I attempt some more assaults, but they fail. Just to the south of the hill, I destroy a Sherman. I'm being more careful with the armor now. In the center, I assault a Wolverine repeatedly, but no dice. I destroy a 3in ATG behind the hill, and lose some men to return fire from armor. South of the hill, the Airborne have been replaced by some infantry reinforcements. One sqaud and a 30 cal die, and I kill the halftrack they rode in on. Further south, I can manage very little, mostly I just run away, but I lose a few vehicles. My rear security is performing well, considering they are nearly all Italians. Another Ranger squad is destroyed, and others suffer some casualties. I lose a man or two. I must plug that hole to the south, armor is pouring through it.
Seth

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 20
closing in... - 6/9/2002 7:48:38 AM   
hellcat

we take out another Tiger on the forward hill, the rangers clear off alot of the Italian mop squads. The Axis are now consigned to the upper right quadrant of the map only, the entire southern map is ours. Infantry at the base of the northern hill have begun skirmishing with the FJ there and the halftracks continue ferrying the rest of the 2 companies towards it... victory will soon be ours!

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 21
- 6/20/2002 11:38:46 AM   
Seth

Okay, so I have no idea how I lost the Tiger on the hill, because I don't see the wreck. Presumably it was accomodating enough to allow a Wolverine to shoot at it 5-6 times. Anyway, on my turn I kill a Wolverine near the little village north of the hill, a few tank crews further north, and an MG sqd to the south of the hill. My last mobile SMV 75 kills a Sherman crossing the ridge in the south where my forces have been annihilated. In the rear, some Italian crewmen destroy a Greyhound, paratroopers get an MG sqd, the two Tigers harass the Rangers, and some other Tigers destroy another Sherman. My rear security operations have come undone. 5 Italian sqauds and two vehicles manage one shot. My remaining SPAA halftrack chews up two squads, but is destroyed backing off from a third.
Seth

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> seth v hellcat - Tunisia10k Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI