Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Klez Worm going around again

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Klez Worm going around again Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Klez Worm going around again - 5/19/2002 9:38:39 AM   
Alby

Someone just sent me the **** thing again!
so be advised, its going around the community again
Everyone should go get and run the program that eliminates it..pleeeeeease!

Post #: 1
Very ######! - 5/19/2002 1:16:10 PM   
El_Peco

I received that virus almost 30 times in the last 3 weeks!
Luckly my Norton Antivirus saved me and my pc!

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 2
- 5/19/2002 1:59:42 PM   
Mojo

Just because you get a email with klez or a similar virus addressed from somebody on the board doesn't mean they have it. It could be some other party who has their address in an email program.

I ripped this from an article at antivirus.about.com

"...
While any virus can be problematic, either deliberately or unintentionally, the latest Klez variants use a variety of insidious tactics designed to give even the most patient a massive headache. Klez not only has a penchant for lifting legitimate user files from the system and sending them out with the infected mail - thereby potentially compromising sensitive data - it can also spoof the From address on the email, making it appear the virus is being sent from a completely innocent and uninfected person. One reader reports having received 9 different Klez emails in a single night, all with different From addresses. Only a careful examination of the email headers revealed the sender's true identity. Others report receiving bounced messages from various ISP's, informing them that a message they sent was rejected due to its carrying the Klez virus. The problem, of course, is that these individuals never sent the message nor did it originate from their machine. The virus had simply found their email address on the infected user's machine and inserted it in the From field.

..."

It is important to run an AVP and keep it updated though as I learned a few weeks ago.:(

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 3
- 5/19/2002 11:03:02 PM   
Bing

Go to: http://news.com.com/2100-1001-916945.html for an in-depth article on the spread of the Klez and fake Klez infected file attachments. Keep them shields up, troopers.

I use Kapersky Swiss AVP as do several of the forum members here - I get daily updates to the AVP database, which I think is essential in today's fast moving virus situation. Their service is excellent, I've had non-critical requests answered at what would be 2 and 3 AM Sunday Swiss time.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 4
- 5/28/2002 9:33:31 PM   
Bing

E-mails with fake attachments containing the Klez virus continue to arrive here. Twice in two days. This is just to say: Be careful. If you don't have a good virus program, get one immediately and use it rigorously.

Better safe than sorry. These viruses are not kid stuff, they will not only wreck your machine, they will propagate the virus to people in your address book in an attempt to spread the virus.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 5
- 6/1/2002 10:07:32 AM   
Eduardo

One of the problems is that spammers steal addresses everywhere. I keep on getting webmasters emails from around the world stating that I send them Klez. Also, I get a few Klez a week from many places that the only link is spammers.

Norton so far has saved my computer. I learned my lesson with the "I love you" bug.

Sergeant, get me a clean shirt! I must lead my troops! -- Wounded Nicaraguan General, 1925

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 6
- 6/1/2002 3:24:33 PM   
Bing

This morning was the exception: I did not start my day by stomping on Klez. For some reason, the daily ration of I-Klez was not in my e-mail.

I suppose the criminals who do this sort of thing depend upon naive recipients. But I have to say that at this stage of the proceedings you have to be pretty far off the Information Highway to fall for: "I would like ur advice .." - my advice is to grow up.

I use the Kapersky Swiss AVP- as do a number of the forum members here, in fact this is where I heard about it. A German survey recently listed Kapersky as #1 in detecting the Trojan and other "back door" lovelies. I get daily updates from them, in this day and age anything less frequent than that isn't keeping up with the criminals.

Bing

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 7
- 6/1/2002 9:03:14 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Youve got me interested in that Bing.

Whats the website and how much will it run me?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 8
- 6/2/2002 4:00:08 AM   
Mojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
[B]Youve got me interested in that Bing.

Whats the website and how much will it run me? [/B][/QUOTE]

Here's their website. Bing turned me on to them and I can't thank him enough.

http://www.kaspersky.com/

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 9
- 6/2/2002 4:35:15 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Hmm
$50 cheaper than Norton.

I read their website but I still have a few q's
How long do the free updates last?
and can you install it on more than one system at a time?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 10
- 6/2/2002 10:47:41 PM   
Bing

The basic fee I paid was for two years, covering the application and updates, plus daily updates to the AVP database - all automatic, click on the button while connnected and it is very quick. Service is excellent, I have sent them non-critical questions on a weekend and received an answer at what would be about 2 AM Sunday Swiss time. No limitation on H2H personal service.

The license text for the version I have says it can be installed on a single computer. You'll have to satisfy yourself on that. I think they are trying to prevent wholesale copying of the app for business installations - the wording is standard these days.

I don't think software storm troopers have us under observation through our den windows. My cats pester the heck out of me when they are hungry, that's about it.

Bing

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 11
- 6/2/2002 11:06:21 PM   
Supervisor

If I hadn't already been using PC-cillin 2002 (Trend Micro [URL]http://www.antivirus.com[/URL]) I would be using it. I've heard nothing but steller reports on it. It has saved more people throughout from what I've heard not just from within this forum than any other to date. I won't complain too much though, mine ranked very well also. I didn't here about AVP until this forum and by then I was already hooked with mine maybe I'll switch after my license expires.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 12
- 6/2/2002 11:11:33 PM   
Supervisor

Bing, which version do you have and is it XP compatible? I visited the site and the highest OS I see is Win 2000. Just curious for future reference. Never mind on the XP thing I found that it is, it was in the supported platform sections at the bottom of each of the products pages.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 13
- 6/2/2002 11:21:47 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Hmm thanks bing

I want to be a ble to install it on this machine and my labtop....Illk just try it when I when I come into some cash and buy it.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 14
- 6/4/2002 6:28:53 AM   
Bing

If y'all should run into the PC Magazine review of the Kapersky AVP, don't pay least bit of attention to it. They don't have the foggiest idea of what they are writing about.

Kapersky is as good or better than anything out there and that includes detection of Trojan viruses. I got the usual prompt reply from Switzerland and a URL to a German website that shows tests of Kapersky as #1 in this area. Who do I believe? Not Ziff Davis, that's fir sure, they've done this kind of thing too many times.

Thank the guys on the old SP mailing list for us knowing about Kapersky - the list was all we had before big time message forums: Due to the nature of the list a virus can spread very fast. Kapersky was 24 to 48 hours ahead of Norton and MacAfee. Both of them may have imporved in this area, seriously for the sake of their customers, I hope this is so.

I don't know who else besides Kapersky provides daily updates - but if they don't, they are not giving their customers the protection they need. These days viruses are a fast moving world.

Bing

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 15
- 6/4/2002 6:34:26 AM   
Bing

Pardon me there, Mr. Noo Yawk: I have the AVP Gold, Single Users License. That's the two year deal with goodies per above.

I've yet to think of anything to write them about that they have not answered within a couple hours - I think if its an emergency it would probably be immediately if not sooner.

Bing

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 16
- 6/4/2002 8:43:15 AM   
Supervisor

Oh, first you pick on my recon units with heavy armor then you make fun of my accent. Besides I don't pawk my ca in the yaaard.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Klez Worm going around again Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI