Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What are GG and JB thinking of AE?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> What are GG and JB thinking of AE? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What are GG and JB thinking of AE? - 7/28/2009 3:25:42 AM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

I saw Joel Billings "lurking" on this forum... The original designers must be very proud of the treatment their game got, not to mention the popularity and the attention . However, I just realized how their "voices" were seldom heard (if ever) about this project.

Any comments now that the AE is out? How do you guys feel? Did you have any input in the development process?

Just curious!

Vince

Post #: 1
RE: What are GG and JB thinking of AE? - 7/28/2009 5:10:45 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

I saw Joel Billings "lurking" on this forum... The original designers must be very proud of the treatment their game got, not to mention the popularity and the attention . However, I just realized how their "voices" were seldom heard (if ever) about this project.

Any comments now that the AE is out? How do you guys feel? Did you have any input in the development process?

Just curious!

Vince

I don't know what they think of AE but I can tell you what I think of them.

The original coding in WITP was top notch. I do wish they had done a little more with documentation and more meaningful data element names, but the logic, algorithms, etc were great. We had to put in many times more code to get a slight improvement. Once or twice we tried to improve and then went back to the WITP way. Only the new AE features are heavily rewritten.

A few bugs, of course, but I've even heard a rumor about bugs in my code from time to time....

(in reply to Vincenzo_Beretta)
Post #: 2
RE: What are GG and JB thinking of AE? - 7/28/2009 5:17:33 AM   
Terminus

That's vicious slander!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 3
RE: What are GG and JB thinking of AE? - 7/28/2009 5:54:35 AM   
Joel Billings

We're happy to see WitP AE completed. We were very proud of the work we did on WitP. It was tough work. I think it was the most difficult development of any game I've worked on, and I think Gary felt the same way. When we were finished with it, we were ready to walk away from the game and move on (we were pretty burned out by it). We were happy to see that the work that Mike (and Gary) put into the editor helped the modder community get behind the game, and we were happy to hear that it was going to be taken even further with WitP AE. We congratulate the WitP AE team on the work they've done, which is even more amazing considering it was done by people that have day jobs. It takes skill to be able to read code written by someone else and be able to change it, and it isn't easy managing a team of 40-50 people that can all argue the dud rate of the Mk21 torpedo the week of October 10-16, 1942 (it was 87.956%, wasn't it?). Great job. Long live WitP, and long live WitP AE.

Now if we do War in the East right, does that mean that we can skip doing War in Europe and let the modder community build it from WitE, or is there just something about the Pacific that draws the true fanatics?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: What are GG and JB thinking of AE? - 7/28/2009 5:59:38 AM   
bradfordkay

Well, Joel, War In The Pacific has been my favorite wargame ever, so your work is well appreciated. And without that hard work you and Gary put in, AE would never have been born - so you can consider yourselves to be proud godfathers!

Thanks for everything.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 5
RE: What are GG and JB thinking of AE? - 7/28/2009 6:45:33 AM   
Raverdave

AE is what WiTP was to UV   I have already run the Battle for Australia secn and it is a joy to play !

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 6
RE: What are GG and JB thinking of AE? - 7/28/2009 4:52:40 PM   
Cmdrcain

Pacific war... By Grigsby....   If not For It there wouldn't be a WITP... :)

And UV was the remake of War in the South Pacific... a long played game
I spent huge hours with  both in my C-64 /XT   DOS DAYS..

WITP/AE are super great Remakes, WPO is a super what if... and cant wait for the remaking of "war in Russia" (War in the East...)

Now if only I could get rid of this thing called sleep...

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> What are GG and JB thinking of AE? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI