Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lan games for SPWAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Lan games for SPWAW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lan games for SPWAW - 5/19/2002 2:55:43 AM   
Ireland

I ma trying to link two computers via their Network Cards, I have successfully done this but I do not know how to run a SPWAW Lan game ... Please help

Thanks
Post #: 1
Re: Lan games for SPWAW - 5/19/2002 7:59:44 PM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ireland
[B]I ma trying to link two computers via their Network Cards, I have successfully done this but I do not know how to run a SPWAW Lan game ... Please help

Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you have the computers connected via a hub or concentrator, with something like a linksys router, or just with a crossover cable?

In my case I have 2 computers connected via a router, which assigns network addresses to each comp. Fortunatly it assigns the same addresses to the computers each time it assigns.

When you start up the game, pick online, then on one pick create, the other join, on the screen of each will be the address, note the address of the one creating, that will be the address the other connects to. After both machines have connected, the creator hits begin game. Then it is a simple flow answering how he wants the game setup.

In my case I have a win95 machine that is slow and a win98se machine that is about 3-4 times faster. I never have had sync problems between the two, though people have had problems before when crossing op systems or with speed differences between comps.

If you are making it this far and having problems with game setup instead of networking let us know, I had more problems with the networking part. Once I got past that, setting up a battle was easy.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Ireland)
Post #: 2
- 5/20/2002 5:25:39 AM   
Ireland

Thanks for your help, John, I 'll give it a crack ... I'm using a cross over line and have followed the procedures you have listed to no avail ... I'm running windows ME. As I said, I'll give it a go, if it does not work a post again

Thanks

(in reply to Ireland)
Post #: 3
- 5/21/2002 1:23:55 AM   
Ireland

No dice ... it states that server is not responding ... I am using the ethernet card that I use for my DSL connection, I do not know if this would affect the connection. Also, I cannot "Browse the Network" but I am able to access shared folders on both computers ... arrgggghhhhh frustrating

(in reply to Ireland)
Post #: 4
- 5/21/2002 5:16:12 AM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ireland
[B]No dice ... it states that server is not responding ... I am using the ethernet card that I use for my DSL connection, I do not know if this would affect the connection. Also, I cannot "Browse the Network" but I am able to access shared folders on both computers ... arrgggghhhhh frustrating [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you have all configuration items present? Client for microsoft netrworks, tcpip for your ethernet adapters, different computer names, the same workgroup name, etc?

Since you don't have a dynamic ip address server, you have static ip addresses that are the same net, but different machine addresses?

If you can access shared folders, then you have some functionality at the netbios level. I guess you have tried net diag (from the msdos prompt) to test the connection?
thanks, John.

(in reply to Ireland)
Post #: 5
- 5/22/2002 9:32:34 PM   
Paul Vebber

Do you have a firewall running? IT may not be configured to allow the game to communicate.

(in reply to Ireland)
Post #: 6
- 6/4/2002 11:19:17 PM   
Nixuebrig

We usually do it with fixed IP Adresses. e.g. one is 192.168.255.0
the other 192.168.255.1. The one who joines has to type in the IP of the other.

(in reply to Ireland)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> Lan games for SPWAW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI