Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

upgade or change air to air please!!!!!!!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> upgade or change air to air please!!!!!!!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
upgade or change air to air please!!!!!!!!! - 2/3/2003 3:12:42 PM   
tigercub

Please, please,please!!! fix the air to air combat in this game
FIGHTERS shoot down far to many planes getting far too many ATTACKS IN.
Early verions of this game they were shooting down 2 or 3 planes back then ,and now 20 to 30 planes are lost in the same sort of battle.{over the top}
If anyone was paying any attention this would be know to them and have been looked at .
{how long has this sim been out for now sheeee, not a question}
AS THIS IS THE BEST WAR SIM, I HAVE SEEN I A VERY LONG TIME
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A CHANGE

STILL WANTING TO GET PASSED THE FIRST MONTH OF THE GAME
Post #: 1
- 2/3/2003 4:47:00 PM   
Raverdave

Can you post some Combat reports so that I can look at this in detail please? My feelings is that the game is now well balanced in the air to air combat.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 2
- 2/3/2003 10:53:48 PM   
Mr.Frag

You are probably playing a tad aggressive if you are having a problem like this in the very first month of the game.

I assume you are talking about CV battles, because there really are no other large air groups this soon in the game.

Just an FYI: The AI seems to cheat a tad with CV planes being very effective :D

As USA, you really don't have any fighters at the start of the game. The F4F-3 you start with have a tough time against the A6M2 that Japan will throw at you. Couple this with the fact that your 2 squadrons are in sorry shape, being short almost a full squadron in number of planes. Since there are no F4F-3 replacements, you have to wait until there are enough F4F-4 to completely upgrade one squadron, shifting the F4F-3 into the pool so it can be used to bring the remaining squadron up to strength. As it sits when the game starts, you have about 50% of your CV strength in fighters, and wimpy fighters at that. Couple this with the

As Japan, you have a slight advantage in that all your aircraft have longer range then the USA, allowing you to bring 100% of your aircraft to bear while the USA cannot launch their super short range torpedo bombers. You have the advantage until the F4F-4 show up and bring the USA CV up to strength. You also have the advantage of having USA attacks spread out over 3 targets vs your attacks going against 2 targets.

Even when factoring out all of this, expect to loose a minimum of 50% of all your aircraft in a CV vs CV battle. Due to the multiple attacks coupled with multiple CAP coupled with a large amount of AA present, a months worth of aircraft lost is pretty normal considering the high value of these targets, and these losses are perfectly acceptable for the potential reward.

Losses of land based aircraft are fairly high due to the poor quality of both the aircrafts and the pilots skill during the first few months of the game. Remember, you are playing a game that lasts 500+ turns. Trying to win in the first 30 is completely unrealistic.

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 3
- 2/5/2003 11:20:12 AM   
marc420

I recently tried to start a game with the AI cranked up to its hardest setting. In the early turns of the game, the AI sailed the American CV's up north of Gili Gili to challenge me.

Thinking the IJN had a superiority in carrier aircraft, I accepted a carrier battle. The American carrier craft blew my crack Japanese carrier squadrons out of the air, sunk both my CV's, and I never laid a hit on an American CV.

When I restarted at the medium level of AI toughness, I got much more normal results.

BTW, against the AI, the AI seems determined to force an early CV v CV battle. I was playing the second game cautiously, using my IJN CV's to cover an early landing on Lunda (CV's position north of the Island chain). The AI sent the USA CV's up to about halfway between GG and Shortland. Since I did have "react" on with my CV TF, my CV's sailed over and into the Soloman Sea and sank both USN CV's.

But watch that AI difficulty setting. It does seem to really crank up the effectiveness of the USN carrier squadrons.

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> upgade or change air to air please!!!!!!!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI