Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Urban fight: any hint ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Urban fight: any hint ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Urban fight: any hint ? - 10/31/2000 7:20:00 AM   
Cona

Hola a todos: Lots of scenarios and a couple of campaigns have not been enough for me to learn any useful tactic on urban fight. I lose so many tanks without an squad riding on it but lose lots of squads while riding on tanks. I know tanks ançren't for urban fight, but i need fire power and mortars are not enough. I try to keep my squad on both sides of the streets while MGs overwatch from highest buildings. The enemy is hard to hit when you fight in urban areas, so i suppose that the main tactic must be supressing them as much as possible. Can you help me ? Saludos, Cona

"War is much too serious to be entrusted to the military." - Tallyrand
Post #: 1
- 10/31/2000 8:05:00 AM   
rexmonday

SMG squads come into their own in the short ranges of urban combat. Engineers are also a lot more at home in tarmac surroundings than green leafy ones (particularly those with SMGs). Leading with your tanks is pretty risky. In the SP1 days someone championed the use of flame tanks with engineer squads riding on top of them, a pretty nasty combination to be on the receiving end of. Locate your units in stone buildings rather than wooden ones. If they are guarding you flank or overwatching, and youa re playing with C&C off, set them to Defend at the end of each turn for no cost and a marked improvement in performance. Block lines of sight with smoke. Use a rolling artillery barrage in front of your own troops to soften up opposition (bombard and move target, bombard and move target). Thats all I can think of for the moment.

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 2
- 10/31/2000 8:13:00 AM   
Wild Bill

And smoke can help Cona. Urban fighting is an infantry thing primarily. Once you locate them with infantry, move your tanks in to pound them. That may not be the best way, but it is how I do it. A little pre-pounding by artillery (please stay out of range! ) will help too. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 3
- 10/31/2000 9:04:00 AM   
rexmonday

Leave a few AT units at road junctions along your flanks to guard against sneak reinforcements. They are particularly effective now that you can control OPfire. Also - don't forget the possibility of trying to bypass as much built up terrain as possible, often there are avenues of approach which allow you to penetrate deeply without getting too close to buildings. It is great if you can sneak round the back, grab a few objective hexes and then turn the battle into one where the AI is counter attacking YOU. This means you can use the city to your advantage, rather than the other way round.

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 4
- 10/31/2000 3:09:00 PM   
Fredde

Artillery and infantry in combination is the key here. Don't neglect the mortars. They do not give many kills, but a lot of supression. Supress with the artillery, move in the infantry to start the shooting (preferably engineers or smg squads). Keep your tanks behind the infantry as support.. and move them up only when you are sure you found the enemies positions. Try to keep the tanks firing from two hexes range rather than at one hex. Even with good tactics, you can't avoid fairly high casualties when fighting in urban terrain.. just like for real (Russians in Groznyj etc..).

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Cona)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Urban fight: any hint ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI