Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/3/2009 8:46:19 PM   
terje439

Roy GET OUT!!!

This a pbem game with me playing the Allies and Roy2008 playing Japan.
The only HR agreed upon is this:
my planning for Dec 7th is limited to moving the CV TFs and I can do whatever I want in China .
When I think about how I am doing in my witp game against Roy, I fear that more than one albatross has been killed by allied sailors this turn ...

Game settings
scenario 002
FOW on
Weather ON
ADU ON
PDU ON
Historical Turn OFF
Surprise ON
Torpedos OFF
R&D OFF
Withdrawals OFF
Reinforcment +-60
reports ON
Auto Subs OFF
Radius ON ( both )
expand OFF
Auto Upgrade OFF
Accept Replacements OFF

Feel free to laugh at/sympathize with/marvel at/comment my mistakes that will cost millions of allied lifes!

< Message edited by terje439 -- 8/29/2009 1:50:19 PM >

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Post #: 1
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/3/2009 8:49:53 PM   
terje439

Dec 7th 1941

This scene plays out in several locations, including:
Fleet base Pearl Harbour, Fleet base Manilla, ABDA HQ, Singapore and Hong Kong

Intel officer: Sirs, our spies and radiorecievers have picked up something. It seems the Japanese are up to something. One of our spies even suggests that they are about to invae Malaya!

Ranking officer: The Japanese are ALWAYS up to something, I am sure it is nothing. But just to be sure send out some planes or something and let me get back to bed!

And so the carnage begins...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/4/2009 8:53:30 AM   
terje439

Something to read while we wait to see if all the fuss about a pending Japanese attacks comes into effect or not.

At length did cross an Albatross,
Thorough the fog it came ;
As if it had been a Christian soul,
We hailed it in God's name.
It ate the food it ne'er had eat,
And round and round it flew.
The ice did split with a thunder-fit ;
The helmsman steered us through !

And lo ! the Albatross proveth a bird of good omen, and followeth the ship as it returned northward through fog and floating ice.
And a good south wind sprung up behind ;
The Albatross did follow,
And every day, for food or play,
Came to the mariner's hollo !
In mist or cloud, on mast or shroud,
It perched for vespers nine ;
Whiles all the night, through fog-smoke white,
Glimmered the white Moon-shine.'

The ancient Mariner inhospitably killeth the pious bird of good omen.
`God save thee, ancient Mariner !
From the fiends, that plague thee thus !--
Why look'st thou so ?'--With my cross-bow
I shot the ALBATROSS.

The Sun now rose upon the right :
Out of the sea came he,
Still hid in mist, and on the left
Went down into the sea.
And the good south wind still blew behind,
But no sweet bird did follow,
Nor any day for food or play
Came to the mariners' hollo !

His shipmates cry out against the ancient Mariner, for killing the bird of good luck.
And I had done an hellish thing,
And it would work 'em woe :
For all averred, I had killed the bird
That made the breeze to blow.
Ah wretch ! said they, the bird to slay,
That made the breeze to blow !

(From Samuel Taylor Coleridge's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner")

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 3
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/4/2009 9:02:13 AM   
terje439

Well, how will things be handled if a Japanese attack does indeed occur?
I will break it down into a few areas and say what I intend to do.

India/Burma
Here we will withdraw towards the Indian border to bases the Japanese will have a harder time cutting off. I have not yet decided exactly which bases as of yet. We will also try to free up as many Indian units as possible from the interior without dropping our garrison values too low. Tricomalee must be guarded, and quite a few men needs to be posted there alongside fighters, bombers and search planes.

NEI
We will make a stand for some time at Soerebaja trying to buy some time. As much oil/fuel/supplies as possible will be shipped to Australia. We will also try to withdraw as many forces as possible from NEI when the time seems ripe.

Aus/NZ/PNG
We must reinforce northern Australia to guard off any attacks, and we will also do our outmost to keep Port Moresby. From previous engagements I know that I will also need to garrison all islands around Noumea, and this becomes the dealbreaker. There does not seem to be enough ground units available. If Japan wants to, they can take most islands. We must decide which ones are essential, and garrison those as much as possible.

Central Pacific
The islands around Pearl needs to be reinforced to deny them to the Japanese, and hopefully Midway will be held as well.

West Coast
ASW patrols must be kept up, units will be ordered to prepare for alot of bases to throw the enemy off, and all planes will be ordered to train so they are ready to face the Japanese airforce.

Alaska/Aleutians
We might allow the Japanese to advance as far as Dutch Harbour, but they will not be allowed to take DH or any base to the east of DH.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 4
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/4/2009 9:05:42 AM   
aprezto

I'm betting it's all hot air and you'll be back to sunning yourself on the decks of the big BBs at Pearl.

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 5
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/4/2009 9:06:44 AM   
terje439

Actually I fear the initial strike (if any) will hit at Manilla with all those precious subs

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 6
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/4/2009 9:14:45 AM   
aprezto

It is certainly attractive and is why the house rule of only one port strike in the surprise attack was made in WitP.

From the little I have read the subs, even the US ones, seem more effective even with faulty torpedos. However, they are no longer the workhorse in moving fragments of units you wish to build later. So their loss is potentially not as impactful as it was in WitP.

This is conjecture and probably still remains to be seen.

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 7
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/4/2009 9:52:46 AM   
terje439

True, but it seems the Japanese now has alot less shipping ability, ands such each lost AP will hurt him down the line.
And ofc I can always convert some subs into SSTs later on I guess.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 8
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/4/2009 8:46:15 PM   
wernerpruckner

Hi terje,

I also - once again - play a game vs Lutz (roy2008)........
in my game hi attacked PH with 4 CVs and all others attacked Manilla.

I think he will try the same in your game.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 9
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/5/2009 11:26:53 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: swift

Hi terje,

I also - once again - play a game vs Lutz (roy2008)........
in my game hi attacked PH with 4 CVs and all others attacked Manilla.

I think he will try the same in your game.

Did he ever

(in reply to wernerpruckner)
Post #: 10
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/5/2009 11:31:10 AM   
terje439

December 7th 1941

Settle down please gentlemen. It is true, Japan has gone to war with the Allies. USA was attacked as well, and due to this event I have been placed in overall command of all troops employed in the entire Pacific theathre.

The attack was obviously well planned, and they struck our main bases. Manilla and Pearl Harbour was hit hard, but fortunately losses were very light. The British however was not as lucky and lost their Forze Z as well as two light cruisers. It has become clear that the navies of the world now depend on air cover.

I have prepared a few reports to show our current situation.

First our naval losses today

This is a hard blow, but it could have been much worse.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 11
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/5/2009 11:32:21 AM   
terje439

Then the ships that were hit at Pearl Harbour but did not sink

These have all been given repair orders.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 12
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/5/2009 11:32:59 AM   
terje439

Our and enemy aerial losses of the day

A ratio of 92:38 is not good, however 40 of our planes were lost on the ground.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 13
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/5/2009 11:35:34 AM   
terje439

The sites of Japanese landings and naval attacks

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 14
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/5/2009 11:37:02 AM   
terje439

Movement orders issued for our ground troops

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 15
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/5/2009 11:37:58 AM   
terje439

Suggested "fronts" in the Pacific

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 16
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/5/2009 11:46:21 AM   
terje439

But what now?

Philliphines
Here we will hold out for as long as possible. Our planes here will rebase to friendly bases as the enemy draws closer. Fortifications have been ordered in Manilla, Bataan and Clark Airfield. These are the bases were we will gather.

China
Two units of the AVG is on their way to force Japan to protect her bombers. The Chinese will take up defensive positions and try to tie up as many Japanese assault forces as possible.

Malaya
The British admits that Singapore will fall, and soon. The forces in the southern part of Malaya will however head south to Singapore to buy us some time. The units in northern Malaya will try to reach the Indian borders.

India
The Indian army will take up position on the Burmese border, however several units needs to be held back from the frontlines to counter partisan actions. Fortifications will be built on the Burmese border, as well as in the major ports.

NEI
The Dutch are heading for Soerebaja where fortifications are being built. They will try to ship as much fuel and oil as possible to Australia. ABDA forces will head to northern Australia to bolster the defences there as soon as they can be freed from their current work.

Pacific Islands
These are being reinforced from the US.

Australia/New Zealand
Australian forces are heading towards Port Moresby, and fortifications are being built in northern Australia.

USA/Canada
Some fortifications are being built in the eastern most parts of Canada and Alaska. Espesially Alaska needs reinforcements to hold any serious Japanese assault.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 17
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/5/2009 11:56:00 AM   
terje439

Issued orders

-Surface task forces are being assembled in Brisbane and Soerebaja. These will attack any underprotected Japanese ships. They will however not go to battle against all odds.

-Subs are being sent from Soerebaja to form a picket line. They are ordered to fire at will. Subs have also been sent out from Manilla to cover the east side of the islands. The subs at Pearl Harbour are all racing towards the location of the Kido Butai with the orders to attack at all cost.

-All shipping in Singapore is heading south towards Soerebaja.

-Some of our young hotheads in Pearl Harbour and Manilla have set out in small crafts carrying only some minor guns and one torpedo each. These men are reported to have uttered "Tokyo or Hell!" as they set out.

-A massive program have taken place in Australia, New Zealand, India and the USA. Alot of comercial cargoships are being altered to perform various tasks. Some will help rearm our big naval vessels as the war progresses, and some are being rebuilt to be able to ship troops in a better manner. (AK -> AKE, AK -> AP)

-Transport convoys heading towards Singapore from Europe and Africa have been rerouted to the Indian border. No more troops will arrive in Singapore.

-Transport convoys are filling up with soldiers on the US West Coast. These men will reinforce the Pacific Islands.

-US carrier forces are heading south trying to avoid battle with the Kido Butai at present time.

-All aerial units not capable of engaging the enemy in any way have been ordered to step up their training program.

-Some of the troops in ports on the US West Coast have been given orders to pretend to prepare for some of the Japanese bases hoping that any spies in the US will pick up on this and report to Tokyo, forcing the Japanese Empire to keep garrisons in places they really do not need them.

That is it for today gentlemen, any questions?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 18
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/7/2009 6:15:40 PM   
terje439

December 8th 1942

Gentlemen I am afraid I bring bad news, bad news, bad news, worse news and some small glimmer of hope.

Today the Japanese secured their initial landing sites, capturing or killing all our personell there. The Japanese also attacked Manilla and Pearl Harbour again today targeting the ports. An report is attached showing that we lost 28 ships today. Unfortunately not all of these were docked ships, so many a sailor lost his life today.
This occured as the ships ordered to flee from Singapore to Soerebaja encounterd strong Japanese naval forces and were promptly sunk at sea.
The only good news is that it is doubtful that Pearl Harbour will be attacked again as the Japanese lost 38 planes there today versus only one of ours, so it seems that the rumor going around that the Japanese are either better pilots or have better planes are simply not true.

So far we are able to keep record of the Japanese carriers, the Kido Butai is SE of Pearl Harbour, one light carrier is SW of the Philliphines and the rest are SE of Manilla. Our submarines have been ordered to hunt them down at all costs.

As a side note, one of our Catalina pilots claims to have seen a Japanese destroyer sink due to a collision with a cruiser, this is however not confirmed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 19
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/8/2009 1:24:05 AM   
AttuWatcher

Thanks for the super detailed breakdown of your initial moves...very helpful to me as I prepare to try my first GC vs. the AI.

I remember reading rime of the ancient mariner around age 10 and wanting badly to go on a sea voyage 

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 20
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/8/2009 8:19:39 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAsea

Thanks for the super detailed breakdown of your initial moves...very helpful to me as I prepare to try my first GC vs. the AI.

I remember reading rime of the ancient mariner around age 10 and wanting badly to go on a sea voyage 

Erm...Just be warned. I am a lousy player. In WitP Roy2008 now controls all of India, all of China save 3 cities, Northern Australia, and every island and atoll in the Pacific save Port Moresby and Noumea.
It should work a little better against the AI, atleast it did for me, but just be warned, there are alot of better players to learn from

Someone stole/borrowed all my CDs in my truck except a Maiden disk, so have been listening to their version for so long now that the title of this thread HAD to include the killing of an albatross. But I love the poem too, my favorite in english lit. during school.

Terje

(in reply to AttuWatcher)
Post #: 21
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/8/2009 6:23:14 PM   
terje439

December 9th 1941

Gentlemen, I was wrong. The Japanese did indeed decide to attack Manilla and Pearl Harbour today as well. Some ships were sunk at Manilla, but none at Pearl Harbour. Once more the Japanese lost alot of aircrafts over Hawaii, nevertheless I have decided to send our precious carriers on a route that will hopefully keep them safe from the Kido Butai. If successful our carriers will end up around Christmas Island and from there will slowly head back to Pearl Harbour.

Some of the ships heading for Soerebaja from the Philiphines and from Singapore were sunk, and the cowardly British captains are reported to be heading back to Singapore. Someone will pay for this, Singapore is a doomed city!

A few reports have been made available to you all today gentlemen, take a look at them and realise that we are fighting not only for colonial posessions, but for our lives.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 22
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/8/2009 6:24:06 PM   
terje439

Lost ships

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 23
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/8/2009 6:27:24 PM   
terje439

Lost aircrafts
When it comes to aircrafts lost, my dog ate them I am afraid. No worries, the creature was hung for treason on the spot!
Well, we actually do well in the air. We shoot down the Japanese bombers in great numbers, but we admit that our fighters need to have an advantage in numbers/height/tactics to get even with the Zero.

So far the conclusions we can draw are these:
-our fighters are slightly inferior to the Japanese Zero fighter.
-while the Japanese bombers are lethal to our ships, they are easily shot down both by our planes, and by our anti-aircraft guns.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 24
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/9/2009 10:17:49 PM   
terje439

December 10th 1942

Sirs! I have some new reports for you to take a look at.
As you all know, our main problem at the moment is that the Japanese can hit us with superior numbers werever they chose. This cannot go on, so orders have been issued to abandon minor bases for now, and instead gather our forces so that we can better withstand the enemy onslought that is sure to follow for the next few months.
It might be of interest to you that the so called Kido Butai has left the Hawaiian Islands, Manilla harbour is still under aerial attacks however.

So, these are the movement orders that have currently been issued. I am pleased to announce that ABDA has realised that the NEI is a lost cause, and that ABDA troops are better used in the defence of Australia. However this is a severe prestige loss to the ABDA, so they are only slowly allowing their units to be rebased.
However, the following moves are the ones we are currently working on.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 8/9/2009 10:20:00 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 25
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/9/2009 10:19:18 PM   
terje439

Introduction of "no-sail zones"

We keep losing ships to enemy land based bombers, it is therefor suggested that no ships will be allowed to sail within certain zones without aircover.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 26
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/9/2009 10:21:46 PM   
terje439

Talking about losing ships

These are the ships that were sunk today. Be warned that one of our Catalinas has reported to have scored a hit on the Japanese carrier Soryu. This is however not confirmed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 27
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/9/2009 10:23:32 PM   
terje439

The war in the air

We are actually not doing too bad in the aerial war, however some of our older models are not up to the tasks they are supposed to perform, it is therefor suggested that we start upgrading our air units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 28
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/10/2009 1:27:26 AM   
khyberbill

I read your previous aar now and then. I would advise that you garrison ceylon, diego garcia, addu (spelling?) and male. Your opponent cant waltz into northern india like he did last time without triggering a fresh supply of troops for you but he can play havoc with your shipping from cape town and also can invade southern india.

in china, build your forts to 3, consolidate your lines and for those troops not actively in battle, place them on rest mode. supplies are tighter in this game and you want to husband them as much as you can. send weak units to chungking to bulk up and then send them back to the front. i suspect that once chinese units beef up, they can stand and fight. i also suspect some japanese players will know that china is futile and will withdraw two or three divisions and send them to australia or burma or southern india.

good luck.
bill

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 29
RE: Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) - 8/10/2009 10:08:51 PM   
terje439

Hi again
Great minds think alike (atleast that is what we claim is it not ) I allready have units and supply enroute to Ceylon and Diego Garcia. The main issue right now in India is finding the troops to send, the need to keep Garrisons is forcing me to really look at what I can send and where. Also for a few more turn shipping is an issue, but in a few turns alot of ships are done converting and that problem goes away.

Terje

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Oh my, I think I killed an albatross... (No Roy2008) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI