Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

General Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> General Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
General Questions - 10/11/2009 12:25:48 AM   
Richard III

1. Please remind me what the 4 Wellington Sqds. in 210 Group down in the Med are used for.

2. Will the upcoming patch screw Campaign Games VS the AI in progress.

3. I like to try to follow a " Historical" timeline in my gameplay so when was the first " deep" raid by the 8th. AF. ( into Germany)

4. I`m probably missing this but is there a list of when new AC and Groups will show up, especially the Bomber Command ECM AC and more mossie bombers.

Thanks !
Post #: 1
RE: General Questions - 10/11/2009 1:02:24 AM   
harley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

1. Please remind me what the 4 Wellington Sqds. in 210 Group down in the Med are used for.

2. Will the upcoming patch screw Campaign Games VS the AI in progress.

3. I like to try to follow a " Historical" timeline in my gameplay so when was the first " deep" raid by the 8th. AF. ( into Germany)

4. I`m probably missing this but is there a list of when new AC and Groups will show up, especially the Bomber Command ECM AC and more mossie bombers.

Thanks !

1 - 205 group? They move to Italy in November 43 and along with other units become a potent night-force against italy and austria.

2 - nope, not changing the save format.

3 - August 17 1943, the reason this day was chosen as the start date originally.

4 - Campaign Summary - Show Order of Battle lists all now and later units. I may move this button to the front page for easier access, I need a consistent spot to put it.

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 2
RE: General Questions - 10/11/2009 1:05:09 AM   
harley

2 - additional - separate to the patch, but included with it will be an order of battle update, which will require restarting games to become active. Also the troop appearance bug I fixed will not do anything to a savegame. Given those 2 issues, you may choose to restart. There have also been some updates to AC stats you will not see in a savegame.

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 3
RE: General Questions - 10/11/2009 1:14:19 AM   
Richard III

Thanks for that news. I consider the first couple starts training, but wouldn`t want to have to re-start another serious campaign start.

RL.
quote:

ORIGINAL: harley

2 - additional - separate to the patch, but included with it will be an order of battle update, which will require restarting games to become active. Also the troop appearance bug I fixed will not do anything to a savegame. Given those 2 issues, you may choose to restart. There have also been some updates to AC stats you will not see in a savegame.

(in reply to harley)
Post #: 4
RE: General Questions - 10/11/2009 1:35:31 AM   
mike.kreuzer

quote:

IRL also ASW, but that's not in the game.

quote:

As said, Schweinfurt/Regensburg are on day one. But AFAIK you can't do shuttle missions over the alps in the game. At least I have't been able to.

IRL after Schweinfurt the 8AF shifted to night raids, but AFAIK you can't do that in game either. Next daylight raids on Germany weren't till 4 October (Frankfurt), 8/9 October (Bremen/Marienberg/ Danzig/Munster) then on the 14th back to Schweinfurt. But the long pauses & consideration of a change in strategy aren't necessary in the game, cause you can just east much higher than historical casualties without batting an eyelid. Pause a day or two at most, then go right back to it. Repeat.

quote:

Lists show existing stuff & planned stuff are mixed up together for both sides. Maybe an asterix next to the future units & the factories doing research could be included in this or a later patch?

Regards, Mike (still can't decide whether I love this game or hate it) K.

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 5
RE: General Questions - 10/11/2009 1:50:22 AM   
Hard Sarge

IRL after Schweinfurt the 8AF shifted to night raids, but AFAIK you can't do that in game either. Next daylight raids on Germany weren't till 4 October (Frankfurt), 8/9 October (Bremen/Marienberg/ Danzig/Munster) then on the 14th back to Schweinfurt. But the long pauses & consideration of a change in strategy aren't necessary in the game, cause you can just east much higher than historical casualties without batting an eyelid. Pause a day or two at most, then go right back to it. Repeat.

in what life are you talking about ?

they never went to night bombing, (the English hoped and pushed for, thinking the losses from this raid would force them too) they sat back, licked there wounds, then started hitting targets closer and still with in fighter range, once there numbers got back up, then they started to go deep again (more fighters were coming in also)

205 is a night bombing force, but was always sort of a weak sister, and didn't have some of the better aircraft, but they did do good work, lots of night mining raids to the Danube

Lists show existing stuff & planned stuff are mixed up together for both sides. Maybe an asterix next to the future units & the factories doing research could be included in this or a later patch?

doesn't the long delay times, give you the same info that a asterix would ?

(in reply to mike.kreuzer)
Post #: 6
RE: General Questions - 10/11/2009 2:59:11 AM   
mike.kreuzer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

they never went to night bombing, (the English hoped and pushed for, thinking the losses from this raid would force them too) they sat back, licked there wounds, then started hitting targets closer and still with in fighter range, once there numbers got back up, then they started to go deep again (more fighters were coming in also)

The Schweinfurt losses lead in part to B17s being sent with the RAF on night attacks on:
8 September - Boulogne
15/16 September - Montlucon
16/17 September - Modane
22/23 September - Hannover
23/24 September - Mannheim
2/3 October - Munich

And maybe other raids I've missed in a quick scan of Freeman. Packets of planes were sent, half a dozen, or one and two, it was a test, and was in conjunction with the daylight attacks in France sure. But who am I meant to be in the game if I can't decide to switch to night raids?

Same goes for wild sow fighters for Germany, why can't they just get woken up one morning & be told 'guess what guys, you're a day fighter unit again.' I'm pretty sure that was well within Hermann's powers.

I'd still put shuttle missions at the front of the queue of missing missions though, personally. If they aren't in fact there.

quote:

205 is a night bombing force, but was always sort of a weak sister, and didn't have some of the better aircraft, but they did do good work, lots of night mining raids to the Danube

Yes, add mining missions to things that can't be done in the game, that's been noted before. And leaflet drops, and food flights and OTU flights and ...

quote:

Sorry, but no it doesn't. There are 101 things I'd like changes about the interface, I suggested the asterisks approach because I thought it might be a simple fix.

<shrug> Just a suggestion.

Regards, Mike

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 7
RE: General Questions - 10/11/2009 4:11:50 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike.kreuzer

quote:

The Schweinfurt losses lead in part to B17s being sent with the RAF on night attacks on:
8 September - Boulogne
on the 7th, 3 raids were sent out, to Evere, Leeuwarden, and Lille, on the 8th was raids by B-26s, on the 9th were raids to Paris
on the 15th, 2 raids, to Leverkusen and Romilly sur Seine, on the 16th, raids to Nantes and La pallice
16/17 September - Modane
23rd flew raids to Nantes, Vannes, Kerlin
2/3 October - Munich
2nd major raid to Emden, minor to Woensdrecht (370 bombers)
4th raids to the Frankfort area

And maybe other raids I've missed in a quick scan of Freeman. Packets of planes were sent, half a dozen, or one and two, it was a test, and was in conjunction with the daylight attacks in France sure. But who am I meant to be in the game if I can't decide to switch to night raids?

are you sure these were not the units assigned to the RAF ? seeing that there was major converison work to be done to the bombers to let them fly at night, and major raids going on at this time ?

Same goes for wild sow fighters for Germany, why can't they just get woken up one morning & be told 'guess what guys, you're a day fighter unit again.' I'm pretty sure that was well within Hermann's powers.

they will fly during the day, they will become day fighters, just not at the beginning of the game

I'd still put shuttle missions at the front of the queue of missing missions though, personally. If they aren't in fact there.

quote:

Yes, add mining missions to things that can't be done in the game, that's been noted before. And leaflet drops, and food flights and OTU flights and ...

quote:

Sorry, but no it doesn't. There are 101 things I'd like changes about the interface, I suggested the asterisks approach because I thought it might be a simple fix.

we could always see about putting a block on the delayed sites showing on the list, you don't see it, you don't have to worry about it

But really, this doesn't suggest to you, that you are not going to see this place for a while ?

Regards, Mike

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hard Sarge -- 10/11/2009 4:13:36 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: General Questions - 10/11/2009 5:23:45 AM   
mike.kreuzer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike.kreuzer

quote:

8 September - Boulogne
on the 7th, 3 raids were sent out, to Evere, Leeuwarden, and Lille, on the 8th was raids by B-26s, on the 9th were raids to Paris
on the 15th, 2 raids, to Leverkusen and Romilly sur Seine, on the 16th, raids to Nantes and La pallice
16/17 September - Modane
23rd flew raids to Nantes, Vannes, Kerlin
2/3 October - Munich
2nd major raid to Emden, minor to Woensdrecht (370 bombers)
4th raids to the Frankfort area

are you sure these were not the units assigned to the RAF ? seeing that there was major converison work to be done to the bombers to let them fly at night, and major raids going on at this time ?

The missions flown were all by 422 squadron of 305 Group according to Vol 3 of Freeman. 7 night missions after 8 September over four weeks, but night conversion & training for six groups started in July, accelerated after Schweinfurt & continued until a decision was made not to go that route in October. Seems like the kind of decision a player should be able to make then too. IMHO.

Also add resistance ('carpetbagging') missions to ones we can't fly now too.

quote:

they will fly during the day, they will become day fighters, just not at the beginning of the game

Is the 'conversion' hard coded, or can I just select them for missions? I'm a month and a half into an Allied campaign, I haven't played more than a week as a test of Germany.

quote:

quote:

quote:

we could always see about putting a block on the delayed sites showing on the list, you don't see it, you don't have to worry about it

But really, this doesn't suggest to you, that you are not going to see this place for a while ?

Regards, Mike

How does that work for finding squadrons?

- Mike

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 9
RE: General Questions - 10/11/2009 2:30:09 PM   
Golden Bear

One unit, the 422nd, was put to night bombing as an experiment (Freeman, TM8th, 1970, page 71).

"...on September 8th five of its B-17s accompanied an RAF force bombing coastal defences near Boulogne. Another seven missions were undertaken during the next four weeks when the squadron's aircraft (usually numbering five) were despatched to targets with the RAF. The experiment was then discontinued, for while the Fortress presented no problems in night operation its use was considered uneconomical..."

Post #: 10
RE: General Questions - 10/11/2009 2:34:15 PM   
Hard Sarge

just block them too, if it is too HARD to figure out what the delay is for the player, when they show up, they show up

Roger Carlos

but as I am saying, the VIIIth didn't change over to become a night bombing force, some planes were used for night bombing, much different meaning

(in reply to Golden Bear)
Post #: 11
RE: General Questions - 10/11/2009 4:24:45 PM   
Golden Bear

Sarge, I was trying to say the same thing. 8th didn't switch to NBing after those raids. They pulled back for a short period but after crews were rested took up where they left off with attacks.

Carlos

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 12
RE: General Questions - 10/12/2009 1:49:40 AM   
mike.kreuzer

quote:

just block them too, if it is too HARD to figure out what the delay is for the player, when they show up, they show up

Roger Carlos

but as I am saying, the VIIIth didn't change over to become a night bombing force, some planes were used for night bombing, much different meaning

Have a nice day.

Regards, Mike

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> General Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI