Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Regarding stacking limits

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Regarding stacking limits Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Regarding stacking limits - 11/4/2009 11:00:56 AM   
Iņaki Harrizabalagatar

It has been stated that the game has a maximum stacking limit of 3 units, regardless of unit size or terrain. I have a concern with that rule, would urban battles, like Stalingrad or Leningrad be possible within those limits? I recall, for instance, that Stalingrad was defended by 62nd and 64th Soviet armies, that would mean about 20 divisions plus support units, do they fit into the hexes for Stalingrad in the map?
Another concern, since Soviet divisions after 1942 are much weaker than German counterparts, wouldnīt be the Soviet player at a disadvantage, as he canīt add the same combat power in a single hex as his opponent?
Post #: 1
RE: Regarding stacking limits - 11/4/2009 12:36:21 PM   
Hard Sarge

as the war goes on, you can start making Corps, and a nice stack of 3 Inf Corps, can be pretty big

(in reply to Iņaki Harrizabalagatar)
Post #: 2
RE: Regarding stacking limits - 11/4/2009 1:14:31 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iņaki Harrizabalagatar

It has been stated that the game has a maximum stacking limit of 3 units, regardless of unit size or terrain. I have a concern with that rule, would urban battles, like Stalingrad or Leningrad be possible within those limits? I recall, for instance, that Stalingrad was defended by 62nd and 64th Soviet armies, that would mean about 20 divisions plus support units, do they fit into the hexes for Stalingrad in the map?
Another concern, since Soviet divisions after 1942 are much weaker than German counterparts, wouldnīt be the Soviet player at a disadvantage, as he canīt add the same combat power in a single hex as his opponent?

The Russian ability to form corps size infantry units from Spring of 1942 on means the Russian player can stack the equivalent of 9 Rifle divisions in a single hex plus any support units directly attached to the corps. On top of that the game includes a feature to designate combat units (units on the map) as in Reserve which allows them, subject to some restrictions, to add their strength to attacks and defenses effectively allowing more than the stacking limit of units to attack or defend a hex.

Post #: 3
RE: Regarding stacking limits - 11/4/2009 7:10:43 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

I believe Soviet Divisions were roughly the same size as German regements. I have played a number of Stalingrad games and I don't think the Soviets had 20 divisions packed into the city at anyone time. Especially when the Germans had them down to a 100 yard deep x 1000 yard beach front property area before the big counterattack.

Capt. Cliff

Post #: 4
RE: Regarding stacking limits - 11/4/2009 7:25:32 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

quote:

I believe Soviet Divisions were roughly the same size as German regements. I have played a number of Stalingrad games and I don't think the Soviets had 20 divisions packed into the city at anyone time. Especially when the Germans had them down to a 100 yard deep x 1000 yard beach front property area before the big counterattack.

That is incorrect. Soviet divisional strength fluctuated wildly during the war, as did German regimental strength. By 1944, for example, a Soviet rifle division had a TOE strength of about 9600 men, although few were anywhere near that. By the drive on Berlin, many were at 2-3000 men.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 5
RE: Regarding stacking limits - 11/5/2009 8:30:21 AM   
Helpless

quote:

By the drive on Berlin, many were at 2-3000 men.

This is not quite correct - rather 4-6K.

69th Army 15-Apr-1945

77th GRD - 5716men
4th RD - 4967men
247th RD - 4902men
134th RD - 5859men
274th RD - 5936men
117th RD - 5852men

and so on..

But overall, yes they were different in size, but most of time much smaller then German

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: Regarding stacking limits - 11/5/2009 12:11:40 PM   
Terminus

No, they were MEANT to be at 4-6000, but like all other combatants in 1945, the Soviet Union was running out of men.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 7
RE: Regarding stacking limits - 11/5/2009 12:26:41 PM   
Helpless

quote:

No, they were MEANT to be at 4-6000, but like all other combatants in 1945, the Soviet Union was running out of men.

They WERE.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Regarding stacking limits Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI