Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

U.S. Nat. Parks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> U.S. Nat. Parks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/4/2009 10:05:50 PM   
06 Maestro

The subject of U.S. National Parks came up in a recent discussion. It just so happens that I have hundreds of pictures of various parks. This first batch are from Zion National Forest in southern Utah. I make good use of that area in the summer-its 30 to 40 degrees cooler there than down in Las Vegas. The plateau that I set up (travel trailer-no more tenting) at is over 8,000' elevation.

This picture was taken at Strawberry Point looking southeast into Zion Park.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 10/5/2009 1:12:27 AM >

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 1
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/4/2009 10:08:18 PM   
06 Maestro

Looking down from the same location as the above shot-lots of color variation there. Insame terrain too.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 2
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/4/2009 10:09:51 PM   
06 Maestro

Same place-different angle.

Attachment (1)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 3
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/4/2009 10:13:00 PM   
06 Maestro

A few more vistas.

Attachment (3)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 4
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/4/2009 10:27:39 PM   
06 Maestro

The main reason (mine anyway) for this trip was to go trail riding with some buddies and a bro in-law. The trail from Strawberry point down into Zion is not a family type activity. The terrain is rather steep in some places-perhaps over 40 degrees in a few spots-over 15 in many. It is actually a work out. For long stretches of trail, you can't really sit on the quad. We traveled 70 miles in 7 hours. There were a few areas where I could get up to about 35 MPH, but that was not entirely smart as there were deer about. I saw about 1/2 dozen-one about 10 yards in front of me while I was going nearly all out.

These next three shots are of my partners taking a little brew break. Of course, we had to stop for such occasions now and then-5 times on that ride-at least. 5 quads = 5 coolers. On a related note; Utah has apparently done away with its 2.0 law for alcohol content of beer which they had forever. Good riddance.

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 10/4/2009 10:28:12 PM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 5
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/4/2009 10:43:55 PM   
06 Maestro

This is a shot of yours truly at the end of the ride. I was feeling a little "happy" from the brew-and still chewing on a cigar.

The Goggle shot is of Strawberry Point area. Zion National Forest surrounds some private land there. There are dozens of cabins (from vary basic to mansion like)
in the area. The nearest "city" is Cedar City, about 40 mile to the west on I15. To the east there is almost nothing-some farming communities in central Utah-and more parkland's.

The notes are from an earlier email edit. I just wanted to show the network of trails that are availabe-you can get lost. As those trails go down the mountain theydon't end, but get smaller-and smaller. After getting off the ridge area the trails are very nice. There are some areas where quads are not allowed in the park. We drove to Navajo Lake, but when we got there, the sign was up-no quads. It wass not a big surpise-so we just had another beer and turned around.

Attachment (2)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 6
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/4/2009 10:50:37 PM   
06 Maestro

I invite others to put up some pics of the Parks. It is one of the best things that the U.S. has done-preserving its natural tresures. I will add some of Yellowstone later.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 7
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/5/2009 12:07:28 AM   
IronWarrior

Great pics, thanks for sharing those! That one of the colorful rough terrain is spectacular as is that cliff (Is that Strawberry Point?). Looks like a fun time.

I'll have to see if I can put something together out of my gazillion photos. Not sure where the ones of Crater Lake are.

< Message edited by IronWarrior -- 10/5/2009 12:15:02 AM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 8
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/5/2009 1:02:37 AM   
06 Maestro

The actual Strawberry Point is another lookout point just a few hundred yard from that area. I will have to look for a photo of it. There is a land bridge less than a couple of feet wide and about 30 feet long that goes out to a small flat point big enough for a dozen people. There are sheer cliffs all around that. Although I have many thousands of hours a split second away from a fatal error, I never felt the need to walk across that bridge. The view ain't much more. Strawberry Point is also the name of the small community in the area. Although there is an airstrip, there are only 2 people that stay there all year long-it gets over 10 feet of snow in the winter. The nearest paved road is 11 miles away which is only another couple of miles to a year long inhabited area named Duck Creek. The ski area of Brian Head is about 30 miles from there. Nice area.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to IronWarrior)
Post #: 9
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/5/2009 1:09:45 AM   
06 Maestro

Oop's-later

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 10/5/2009 1:10:32 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 10
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/5/2009 1:34:22 AM   
vonRocko

Beautiful shots maestro, thanks for sharing.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 11
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/5/2009 2:05:35 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Beautiful shots maestro, thanks for sharing.

You are welcome.

That was a fun trip. Looking at those pictures made me go in the back yard and have a beer at the fire pit (its finally cooled off here.)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 12
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/6/2009 9:29:46 AM   
Zap

Yes, good pictures

Please post some too Iron warrior. Pity I'm not a fan of picture taking. I've bee to Sequia Nat. and the Muir woods in cal. I love the nature shots

Maestro, anything to see of special interest in the line of nature near LV? Me and the wife will be making our annual trek to LV in December. This year were there for 2 weeks. Gonna look at homes and play.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 13
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/6/2009 11:08:27 AM   
IronWarrior

Here are some of the places I've been, unfortunately I'm not a very good photographer. Some are National Parks, others are State Parks or monuments, etc.

Sheanandoah, VA:

Luray Caverns, VA:

Natural Bridge, VA:

Mount Rushmore, SD:

Badlands, SD:

Devil's Tower, WY:

Cody, WY:

Yellowstone, WY:

Grand Tetons, WY:

John Day Fossil Beds, OR:

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 14
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/6/2009 10:09:53 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap
Maestro, anything to see of special interest in the line of nature near LV? Me and the wife will be making our annual trek to LV in December. This year were there for 2 weeks. Gonna look at homes and play.

Two weeks is enough to see a good amount of nature around here. Red Rock park is just out to the west of town. The feds took it over about 20 years ago-small charge to get in now. There is a loop drive throughout. If you can catch that location at sunset or sunrise (open hours?) you will be able to get some rather spectacular views. Purple and red mountains are sort of neat.

Of course, Boulder dam is something to see. They built a visitors center there about 15 years ago. Its just 30 miles south of town.

To the northwest there is Mt Charleston. There are several great spots for viewing/picture taking. One spot you can easily see for sixty miles looking east back down the mountain-the topography turns from coniferous forest to semi arid (what most of you would call "desert", but it ain't). There is also an old lodge at the end of the road at Charleston-easy to find. It was an old place when I was a teenager-a little while back. Its a very nice area, but as Las Vegas has grown, I avoid that place on weekends-way too many people for my tastes. A week night would be great up there-they even have small cabins for rent if you felt like getting a little happy, and not driving back down the mountain. Some would be surprised to learn that there is skiing near Las Vegas-just about 30 miles from my house. In years past, I have gone skiing and swimming on the same day. The lodge is about 8500' and the peak is about 12,000 IIRC.

Lake Mead is also nearby. Fom the main access roads, it is not really all that much to look at. It is rather huge, but bland surrounding-very little shade (semi arid ). If you rent a boat, or take a houseboat tour, you can see some really neat areas around the lake; the Narrows, Temple Rock, Sandy Beach and others-gotta have a boat though.
Out to the NW, about 30 miles is the Painted Desert. Unusual colors, but not a very hospitable place-especially in the summer. BTW, if you drive out anyplace like that, be sure to bring extra water. It still happens now and then that people get into big trouble because they get stuck, or break down out in the boondocks. Rare, but it happens. It is very mountainous around here so cell phone coverage is not what some are accustomed to in the lowlands. Ah, but I see you are from a mountainous area, so you know of what I speak.

Gonna look at homes and play? Thinking of moving here? PM me, we can have a brew or two. Real estate is a steal right now.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 15
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/6/2009 10:12:59 PM   
06 Maestro

Wow! Great pics there I.W.

That JD Fossil Beds looks like a great place for wildlife. Ah, no hunting in the Parks though-now if that is just a National Forest....

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 16
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/6/2009 10:41:52 PM   
06 Maestro

These are some shots of Yellowstone. There is an area called the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. A couple of these are from that area.

Attachment (3)

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 17
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/6/2009 10:55:43 PM   
06 Maestro

Another three from Yellowstone. These Buffalo are all over the place-thousands of them. They are not "endangered" anymore-you can get a buffalo (or beefallo) burger if you like-rather tasty.

The bison are rather benign animals. They don't bother humans so long as you stay out of their face or don't make startling moves. I almost had my truck rammed because of some idiot in a Hummer swerving onto the side of the road to get a better picture of one. It spooked him and he lunged onto the road with his head down-meaning business. He missed me by inches. Sort of funny, my son, who was 12 at the time was in the front passenger seat with the window down-the target area-he was almost in the driver seat.

The critters are big, that one in the background from me looks small, but its slightly downhill and about 10 yards away.

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 10/6/2009 10:57:35 PM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 18
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/7/2009 8:22:08 AM   
IronWarrior

Your pics look much better than mine. Gorgeous shots! I didn't get to go to the canyon at Yellowstone last time- it was late spring and the roads were closed. (Anyone planning to go there should definately consider going during peak season). I did get to see it the first time I went though.

Yeah eastern Oregon has a lot of great places, especially for fishing. I still can't find my pics from there, really interesting spots like the Big Obsidian Flow at Newberry Crater, Black Butte, the high desert around Bend, etc. The John Day Fossil Beds are a National Monument, so not sure what the rules are in those places, but eastern Oregon is a great place for fishing and hunting. Haven't been in a while, there's a lot of steelhead out there but I think there's still restrictions on fishing salmon.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 19
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/13/2009 8:37:39 PM   
Zap

Great nature shots 06 maestro.

Plans are to buy a home there for retirement days. We will be there in december. So taking a side trip to those places you mentioned won't be too much of a problem as far as heat. I like the suggestion of red rock. That drive through option is just what were looking for. Yea, lets do that, I'll pm you shortly before our trip out your way.

< Message edited by Zap -- 10/13/2009 8:38:34 PM >

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 20
RE: U.S. Nat. Parks - 10/13/2009 9:35:56 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Great nature shots 06 maestro.

Plans are to buy a home there for retirement days. We will be there in december. So taking a side trip to those places you mentioned won't be too much of a problem as far as heat. I like the suggestion of red rock. That drive through option is just what were looking for. Yea, lets do that, I'll pm you shortly before our trip out your way.

Excellent.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> U.S. Nat. Parks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll