Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Several Unrelated Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Several Unrelated Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Several Unrelated Questions - 11/1/2009 7:16:48 PM   
byron13

1. I've had the Maryland in Pearl's shipyard for some time now trying to work off damage from the dastardly attack in December. I'm now in March and April, no damage to Pearl and Pearl has 500 naval support (which I understand does not affect shipyard repair). Maryland has damage on systems, flotation, and engines: 36/71/36. All of the flotation is major damage. As I understand the repair priority system and banding, the shipyard would focus on the flotation first. After six weeks on normal repair in the shipyard, the boys have managed to work off two points of flotation so that the damage is 36/69/36. In other words, two points of major damage, and none of the minor damage worked off. Did some upgrades and pierside repairs, but no other ships have been in the shipyard during that six week period. None of the upgrades required shipyard. Does that sound right? Two points in six weeks? At that rate, it might be available for duty in Viet Nam. I have enough capacity to put it on high priority (not sure about critical), but . . . two points in six weeks? Am I missing something here? Someone had mentioned that they work off all minor damage before putting the ship into the shipyard to because assets were "better utilized." Is the minor damage on the Maryland somehow limiting the repairs on the major damage?

2. The British withdraw a carrier. Are you penalized if its complement of air assets are not withdrawn with it? The Albacores are nice, and I'm wondering how pissed the First Sea Lord will be if the carrier shows up in the Med with no aircraft on board.

3. Curious about CD guns. The 155 1918 GPF gun seems to be a fairly standard U.S. CD piece early in the war, which has a high armor piercing and low HE effect. It looks like it upgrades to the 155 M1A1 GPF. The AP value drops and the HE value increases. I'm wondering what opinions are on which is better for shooting at ships. Is the AP more valuable for fighting off enemy shore bombardment missions (using AP against armored targets) and the higher HE value better for shooting at transports and invading troops on the beach? Just wondering because I'm thinking about turning replacements off to retain the higher AP value of the 1918 piece.

4. I'm having trouble picking up forces I've landed on dot islands with zero port and airbase values. They can't be put in strategic mode, so I've been trying to pick them up with amphib TFs. I can usually load the majority quickly, but the last of the units are a real problem. The amphibs (AKs and APs) just don't want to load them. Understanding that amphib TFs need to load supply, I've tried dropping supply on the dot in case the amphib TF needs supply to load the units. That doesn't seem to help. The AI seems to have not problem spiriting people on and off dots. What am I doing wrong?

This is a great game.
Post #: 1
RE: Several Unrelated Questions - 11/1/2009 8:25:08 PM   
witpqs

1. AFAIK, you just have to tough it out and wait. Don't try to move the ship to a WC port until it's down to at least ~50% float. The lower the system damage the better it will resist flooding, too. And when you do move it, use cruise speed - not mission speed. If there are no other ships in the shipyard I think the priority is irrelevant.

2. I think with British carriers the air group will be 'left behind' at the port where you withdraw it. From what I've seen at some point after the withdrawal, the squadrons 'arrive' at that base.

3. No idea.

4. You might want to post more details so a developer can comment. There is a bug due to be fixed in the patch 2 release that sounds like what you are describing, but your description lacks enough details to say with any feeling of certainty.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 2
RE: Several Unrelated Questions - 11/1/2009 9:48:00 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

3. Curious about CD guns. The 155 1918 GPF gun seems to be a fairly standard U.S. CD piece early in the war, which has a high armor piercing and low HE effect. It looks like it upgrades to the 155 M1A1 GPF. The AP value drops and the HE value increases. I'm wondering what opinions are on which is better for shooting at ships. Is the AP more valuable for fighting off enemy shore bombardment missions (using AP against armored targets) and the higher HE value better for shooting at transports and invading troops on the beach? Just wondering because I'm thinking about turning replacements off to retain the higher AP value of the 1918 piece.

The is probably a mix-up in the AP values listed for the M1A1 gun, as it has a higher muzzle velocity, longer range, and newer shell design. Nothing wrong with the 1918 GPF, but the 155 M1A1 "Long Tom" was designed as it's replacement and was an improvement in every way.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 3
RE: Several Unrelated Questions - 11/2/2009 12:45:40 PM   
byron13

As for more details on picking up units, it just doesn't. In one instance, I have the possibly understandable problem of not being able to get heavier equipment off. But on Bora Bora, I can't get anything to load even the infantry: APs, xAPs, xAKs. It loads one squad (probably the placeholder when you initially order the unit to load) and that's all that ever loads. I seem to also be having a problem getting any supply to unload there. The two ships I have with supply there don't seem to recognize it as a legitimate place to drops supplies; all options related to unloading are grayed out.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 4
RE: Several Unrelated Questions - 11/2/2009 1:40:47 PM   
vlcz

quote:

2. The British withdraw a carrier. Are you penalized if its complement of air assets are not withdrawn with it? The Albacores are nice, and I'm wondering how pissed the First Sea Lord will be if the carrier shows up in the Med with no aircraft on board.

No penalization at all, I transfer all of them to bases before sending the CV to karachi. Will love having two sea hurri groups in the hermes for convoy covering, and the albacores are top line anti shipping aircraft in early stages of the game

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 5
RE: Several Unrelated Questions - 11/2/2009 4:46:54 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

As for more details on picking up units, it just doesn't. In one instance, I have the possibly understandable problem of not being able to get heavier equipment off. But on Bora Bora, I can't get anything to load even the infantry: APs, xAPs, xAKs. It loads one squad (probably the placeholder when you initially order the unit to load) and that's all that ever loads. I seem to also be having a problem getting any supply to unload there. The two ships I have with supply there don't seem to recognize it as a legitimate place to drops supplies; all options related to unloading are grayed out.

Hmmm. You might try posting a description of the problem along with a couple of save games in the tech support sub-forum for them to look at.

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Several Unrelated Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI