Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finland campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Finland campaign Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finland campaign - 4/12/2001 1:10:00 PM   
Michael Wermelin

I have just read the book "1944" by Jukka Mäkälä about the summer war 1944 between Soviet and Finland. I bow my head in awe at the decisiveness of the fins struggle for defending their country. The book gives me the thought of a MC about this summer war as well as ideas about the fins OOB. Has any of you fins out there read this book and are there anyone wondering about making a MC about the war? Sisu neighbours!

Attacking is the best of all defences.
Post #: 1
- 4/12/2001 4:08:00 PM   
skukko

After all Finns have played this game for a while, they think about doing campaign of Finns. I think there is many Finns in here, so let time go and stay tuned...but MC? Don't know. But it would be cool... :D mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Michael Wermelin)
Post #: 2
- 4/12/2001 4:37:00 PM   
Uglykid

Well, I think there are lots people, who wants to do the scenarios. I think the hardest part is to find maps and accurate information about units. Ofcourse you can do "something" near the real situation, but it doesnt have the same feeling :)

Im not crazy - I am Animator

Post #: 3
- 4/12/2001 5:35:00 PM   
skukko

MC is like a code, it is copyrighted, far as I know... mosh

salute

mosh

Post #: 4
- 4/12/2001 6:06:00 PM   
JTGEN

It would be nice to have a campaign in Finns. But I have no time to do it. And how to make them realistic is problem. Does anybody have any idea where to get information on what Soviets had in those battles. I do not thimk that information is available.

Post #: 5
- 4/12/2001 8:08:00 PM   
skukko

I think sovjets OOB in Finn-front would be quite easy to collect from the books. Not exactly as getting all the sovjets officers, but infantry, arty and AC's. If we who read books of those battles collect material of dates, what were against and AAR's, I believe we got plenty of stuff to start and continue. I for example have have whole Hankoniemi-data in my HD and can point out where and who and results of the battles. And if I want pictures, well, I take a walk with the dog and camera...much of the russian fortification is still in the woods. And battles in Narva-44 area are quite easy to do, there is info of those battles in several books. Did you know there were Tigers at the shore of Suomenlahti? :D mosh

salute

mosh

Post #: 6
- 4/12/2001 8:37:00 PM   
DoubleDeuce

Might be hard to "accurately" portray this and that could be why it has seemingly been overlooked. I mean duplicating the acts of individual bravery which could turn the tide of a battle. Guess you may have to adjust the OOB's or something. Just a thought!

Post #: 7
- 4/12/2001 9:34:00 PM   
ollittm

There was a winter-war campaign for the original SP made by a serious winter war nut. He might convert his stuff to SPWAW if everyone asked him real nice.. Hmm, since the mega-campaigns are commercial ;)

-Olli

Post #: 8
- 4/12/2001 10:05:00 PM   
Mikimoto

Hello Finns (and others). I like the idea of a Winter War Mega Campaign (MCWW?) and I will buy it!!! A lot of frozen ruskies and a lot of ski troops making hell, there... Saludos. :p :D :eek:

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

Post #: 9
- 4/13/2001 7:15:00 PM   
Tortfeasor

If somebody is going to make a Winter War canpaign. then here is a Goood site for informatoin on the subjekt in english. http://www.winterwar.com/index.htm I would attempt to do it but not in this time of year, mayby with SPWAW version 5.?in autumn. (I am a fisherman).

My opinion might have been changed, but not the fact that I am correct.

Post #: 10
- 4/13/2001 8:53:00 PM   
DoubleDeuce

Tortfeasor - Thanks for that link! I am setting up a tournament which will include the Finns. I have modified it somewhat in that I am using the TO&E of the Finns, Hungarian, Poles, Belgian and Norwegians. However historic ratings and C&C will be off in an effort to balance play. I am waiting for 5.0 to come out before actually finalizing the OOB's. If anyone here has more info on any of these countries OOB/TO&E I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Post #: 11
- 4/15/2001 3:39:00 AM   
Arto

I also like the idea of a Winter War campaign or a Continuation War campaign (summer/fall attack -41 and also the defence battles on summer -44). But there is only one problem, many american wants only to play USA-campaigns, little Finland and Soviet Union aren´t so interesting (at least I have that image of them) and Mega Campaigns are planned to sell over 3500 copies and I´m not sure would a Finland-campaign sell so much (have you noticed that there is only 3000 registered members in this forum..?).

Post #: 12
- 4/15/2001 3:52:00 AM   
BryanMelvin

One of the future projects at The SP Arsenal - will be a Campaign of the Winter war and the Continuation War. Right now, we are busy getting the new sit up at Matrix after the demise of TGN. As soon as the Arsenl site goes up - we'll begin brianstorming this project - right Mosh?? Please give us ideas on what you would like to see!!

Post #: 13
- 4/15/2001 4:07:00 AM   
BryanMelvin

quote:

Originally posted by skukko: I think sovjets OOB in Finn-front would be quite easy to collect from the books. Not exactly as getting all the sovjets officers, but infantry, arty and AC's. If we who read books of those battles collect material of dates, what were against and AAR's, I believe we got plenty of stuff to start and continue. I for example have have whole Hankoniemi-data in my HD and can point out where and who and results of the battles. And if I want pictures, well, I take a walk with the dog and camera...much of the russian fortification is still in the woods. And battles in Narva-44 area are quite easy to do, there is info of those battles in several books. Did you know there were Tigers at the shore of Suomenlahti? :D mosh
A good place to look is at exesiting board games on the subject. A good one is on the Coninuation War - for ASL - by Critcal Hit. www.critalhit may have info if this ASL mode is still availible. There are books as well - if you know some - please let us know here on the forum link!

Post #: 14
- 4/15/2001 4:14:00 AM   
sami heimola

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wermelin: I have just read the book "1944" by Jukka Mäkälä about the summer war 1944 between Soviet and Finland. I bow my head in awe at the decisiveness of the fins struggle for defending their country. The book gives me the thought of a MC about this summer war as well as ideas about the fins OOB. Has any of you fins out there read this book and are there anyone wondering about making a MC about the war? Sisu neighbours!
Hmm... Whole commercial Mega Campaign could not be very good idea if we think that Matrix must sell it enough (over 3500 copies as MGNA, I suppose?)... But maybe player-based "long" campaigns about Winter War and Continuation War could be nice :) right? This idea has been discussed several times earlier among Finnish players. But basic problems are: 1. Who will have time/resources/good will to make those campaigns? 2. How to make them enough interesting and balanced (expect give more morale/strenght to Finns against Russian superpower)? 3. I suppose that most of SPWAW players want more tank-based campaigns than only infantry-based (if we think only Winter War, Finns had only few tanks)... Maybe I'm in wrong but most scens for SPWAW are mostly tank-based battles. As always, I vote for this idea anyway :) Hopefully someone player will do them sometimes and share them with others too... These were my 2 cents (or should I say "markkaa" ;)?) Sami PS. Comments about these things?

Post #: 15
- 4/15/2001 12:19:00 PM   
Fredde

Hello, Despite not coming from Finland.. I am working on a "regular" campaign following the Finnish ErP 18 battalion during the struggle in 1944 all the way from the stand-still line back to the Finnish border containing all major battles this particular battalion fought. If you have more books written by Jukka Mäkelä, this battalion is treated in a short part of "Aunuksen Savut" (writing this out of memory.. hope I got the Finnish somewhat right).. "Rök över Aunus" in Swedish, "Smoke over Aunus" in English translation. This campaign will also be a bit different, since I will send a edited saved game file along with the scenario containing all the correct historical data and names for those who want to play it more realistic. I'm currently on the 4th scenario of about 12.. so it will still take some time ;)

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 16
- 4/17/2001 2:22:00 AM   
skukko

Howdy guys :) Last time something talked about Finn-camp were at last autumn, I should use search-button myself, but I'll waite... Fredde, keep up good work on your camp' :) What it comes to adding finns some elite status before they are capable of fighting against russia: No need to do it. Finns are hardcoded to be bad opponent against everybody :D C&C should be ON. This is because sovjets had not so much radios, and this thing is important when playing C&C turned ON. This way game would be balanced and it would be more manageable during designing. How much would be then be interest to this camp', afterall it is infantry-battles ? This is good question. BUT, if you take and buy one motorized infantry company (should I say horsed? :D ) and add to it something to deal with tanks, it is enjoyable because of low odds that inf. has to win that fight. (In one scenario I've done, there ain't many tanks in axis side, just three. Inf' has only usuall handheld stuff, but it is blast to win from allied side...) I haven't tested, but I believe we can add quite correct number of early war russians against one company of Finns without a problem. If it is same value as german infantry, it is one to five... As for designing whole thing: Just add some data changes to some of the MG's and squads of infantry and you'll have those heros. No changes to OOB provided with game because it effects directly to pbems and other scenario-playing... Maps are done by people who have info and willingness, -its not a problem now when WB's school of scenarios have started :D . What about idea of getting 3-5 campaign's to a Finns survival package ? Not one single, but few differend fronts and times? Does it sound good? let me know... mosh :D

salute

mosh

Post #: 17
- 4/17/2001 6:23:00 AM   
Grumble

Lead's in...

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

Post #: 18
- 4/17/2001 6:34:00 AM   
Cajous

quote:

Originally posted by BryanMelvin: A good place to look is at exesiting board games on the subject. A good one is on the Coninuation War - for ASL - by Critcal Hit. www.critalhit may have info if this ASL mode is still availible. There are books as well - if you know some - please let us know here on the forum link!
[list]The Winter War-Russia against Finland by Richard W Condon (Ballantines Illustrated History of the Violent Century-camp. book #24) great Bibliography [/list]

Post #: 19
- 4/17/2001 8:35:00 AM   
Kluckenbill

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wermelin: I have just read the book "1944" by Jukka Mäkälä about the summer war 1944 between Soviet and Finland.
Anyone know if this is out in English (I might even be able to struggle through in German but I don't know a word of Finnish.) It sounds interesting but I couldn't find it on Amazon.

Target, Cease Fire !

Post #: 20
- 4/17/2001 2:19:00 PM   
Fredde

To my best knowledge, this book has not been translated to English (correct me if i'm wrong).

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 21
- 4/18/2001 1:06:00 PM   
KING

If you want to see photos and maps from Finland in WW2 go to: www.sodatkuvina.cjb.net Ok, it´s my website ;) I will add more material in early May. [ April 18, 2001: Message edited by: KING ]

...You all know me and I know you. I know that everyone of you is prepared to do his duty until death...

Post #: 22
- 4/18/2001 2:36:00 PM   
skukko

King: Nice site and worth of visit. I'm looking for new maps in may (?) I'll add few links more :D http://www.hkkk.fi/~yrjola/war/finland_wwii.html/ http://www.hut.fi/~jaromaa/Marine/Navygallery.htm http://members.spree.com/ojoronen/joronen.htm http://personal.inet.fi/private/hovi.pages/sa-int/ http://www.siba.fi/~kkoskim/history/Taistelupaikat.html mosh :D

salute

mosh

Post #: 23
- 4/18/2001 9:50:00 PM   
mouse83

If somebody is interested about finnish troops visit here: http://www.saunalahti.fi/roopei/galleria.htm There is good pictures and some information even in english :)

Post #: 24
- 4/19/2001 1:23:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Arto: I also like the idea of a Winter War campaign or a Continuation War campaign (summer/fall attack -41 and also the defence battles on summer -44). But there is only one problem, many american wants only to play USA-campaigns, little Finland and Soviet Union aren´t so interesting (at least I have that image of them) and Mega Campaigns are planned to sell over 3500 copies and I´m not sure would a Finland-campaign sell so much (have you noticed that there is only 3000 registered members in this forum..?).
I wouldn't want to speak for all Americans, but my 3 campaigns to date have been Japanese, German and British, with a short interlude in the Arras campaign as well. The US army and marines are about the last two that I would want to take through a campaign. As for Finland, one part of my family came from the west coast of Finland in the late 1800's (and still refers to themselves as Swedish-Finns), I played SPI's Winter War to the point of wearing it out. I have great respect for the Finnish army and would enjoy playing scenarios with them in it. thanks, John.

Post #: 25
- 7/6/2002 8:30:15 AM   
Zeromus

I stumbled upon this thread as I was searching for some campaigns. I deleted SPWAW about ten months ago, since I was low on harddrive space, but I'm finally downloading it again.

Now I was wondering if anyone ever made a Finnish campaign? I'm from Finland myself and would definately enjoy playing one. I've found several scenarios, but never a full campaign.

I remember actually starting on creating my own campaign based on Erkki Lehväslaiho's book "Panssarisotaa!" (Armourwar! when translated to English) but only finished a couple of missions.

So...did anyone manage to complete a Finnish campaign?

Post #: 26
- 7/6/2002 10:14:15 AM   
OKW-73

Finnish campaign sounds like great idea indeed, makes me hope i would be better scenario maker ;) but im sure we have a lot talents here that can make it happen :) cant wait to get kick some russki soldats arse :D

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Post #: 27
- 7/7/2002 3:05:46 AM   
Arto

[QUOTE]Originally posted by john g
[B]
I played SPI's Winter War to the point of wearing it out. I have great respect for the Finnish army and would enjoy playing scenarios with them in it.
thanks, John. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well you aren't the only american that I know who thinks that way. I just supposed that there is not many of you in the USA. I hope that I'm wrong.

Post #: 28
- 7/7/2002 9:37:57 PM   
Zeromus

Update: I've begun work on a campaign in which a Finnish company fights it's way through the hot spots of the Winter war. Not historically accurate, but it should prove to be fun.

Check back later for more info.

- Zeromus

Post #: 29
- 7/8/2002 3:34:50 PM   
gnoccop

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zeromus
[B]Update: I've begun work on a campaign in which a Finnish company fights it's way through the hot spots of the Winter war. Not historically accurate, but it should prove to be fun.

Check back later for more info.

- Zeromus [/B][/QUOTE]

I wish you good work :)

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Finland campaign Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI