Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/20/2014 11:51:32 PM   
obvert

Hi all. Since GJ has rampaged through India and several of the normal arrival bases for units are in Japanese hands, I had assumed units would arrive in Karachi, based on the information in the manual. While this has been true for most, disturbingly I've just gotten a restricted unit arriving in Aden, and another few in the queue that are slated to go there as well.

This seems to go against game design. Has anyone else seen this? Should I post to the tech thread?

Here is a shot of the first, and Air HQ that would cost me 162 PP to get out of Aden, which was supposed originally to have arrived in Calcutta.

Attachment (1)

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/20/2014 11:55:36 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Hi all. Since GJ has rampaged through India and several of the normal arrival bases for units are in Japanese hands, I had assumed units would arrive in Karachi, based on the information in the manual. While this has been true for most, disturbingly I've just gotten a restricted unit arriving in Aden, and another few in the queue that are slated to go there as well.

This seems to go against game design. Has anyone else seen this? Should I post to the tech thread?

Here is a shot of the first, and Air HQ that would cost me 162 PP to get out of Aden, which was supposed originally to have arrived in Calcutta.

I'm not sure this is a bug, but I can't say for sure. I've had ABDA units arrive at Aden, with Soerabaja in IJ hands...

Yeah, looking again - it's a British unit. Aden is the secondary Brit base. If it were an Indian unit, I think you could expect it at Karachi.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 2
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/21/2014 1:40:28 AM   
obvert

You're completely right and I didn't even check this one before posting. My bad. This one I can handle, but the next on the queue that's restricted is an Indian division also slated for Aden after previously being set of Madras. I'm most concerned with divisions heading off the subcontintinent while being restricted to an Indian HQ. That will be harder to buy out, and much more dearly missed in India.

Still, if this HQ unit is slated for India, it sucks that it now must be bought to go there. Kind of takes away from the purpose of PPs, right?

< Message edited by obvert -- 6/21/2014 2:43:05 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/21/2014 1:47:59 AM   
crsutton

You should not need the air HQ as there should be enough there already but the Indian division is going to hurt. If it is restricted you might post to michaelm to see if it can be changed.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/21/2014 11:33:47 AM   
czert2

well, i think that should be changed too - once unit is set to arive in india and you still have major cities under control, so they should arive there instead of aden.
i think they are resticted to prevent wandering them off to place where they shhould not to be.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/21/2014 12:58:03 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: czert2

well, i think that should be changed too - once unit is set to arive in india and you still have major cities under control, so they should arive there instead of aden.
i think they are resticted to prevent wandering them off to place where they shhould not to be.

Exactly. The [R] represents them needing to be in that place, and the PP the payment for letting them leave, not getting them there in the first place.

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 6
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/23/2014 5:45:05 AM   
pacificbetta

I see it in another way, the logistical area for raising the division has been lost. To still raise this division, one has to put up additional efforts, and PPs are the cost to pay.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/23/2014 3:55:40 PM   
czert2

depend on hwo do you define logistic base :) i think if units is formed in india, it should be formed in indion even if "hometown" is lost. aftell are you draft man from taht state/area. If that unit was formed in india and was formed from brits lived in india and indian troop, then if hometown is lost, well...it can be formed, it just take refuges/conscripts from another are, it dodnt "magicaly" form that unit from uk-based brits and arabs.
I think in india should be defined some "secondary major cities" in which units will be formed if thier home city was lost - even at price of forced downgrading of thier equpment (if it is posible) - to simply simulate using outdated equpmen from another arsenals than from arsenal in home city.
And only after if all these major cities are lost, then that unit will arive in aden, but as penalty as with only 50% (or mayby even less) original strength to similate lack of material/desperate consprition after original resource/forming base was lost.

(in reply to pacificbetta)
Post #: 8
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/24/2014 2:41:48 AM   
pacificbetta

Czert: that is about what I mean :D I see no point in going into details how the loss of logistical base should translate into actual game stats. After all, that would be speculative and subjective, and I consider another discussion. My original point being, loss of "logistic base" having a a cost, rather than it being with no penalty. Whether it is modelled as PP or loss of TOE is really antoher issue, my 2 cents.

PS: Sorry if I am not clear, english is not exactly my first language, though I pretend to use it daily.

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 9
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/24/2014 9:08:10 AM   
czert2

Well, after re-reading of your post, yes, it seems that you get in similiar lines as i writed, but solution of using pp to "buy out" isnt ideal (as we have now), as i tried to explain. Since once you make unit unrestricted it realy change way how it can be used in game (including ability to load on ships).
And as tried to explain - if unit was formed in india, resources and effort to raise it was not so much diffrent if it was british or india based, but under current engine and system it make real difference.

(in reply to pacificbetta)
Post #: 10
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/24/2014 8:58:41 PM   
rustysi

Obvert, I'd discuss it with GJ, but if it were me I'd just say there's no need to buy it out. As long as you have at least one base in India, and that's where it was due to arrive. To me Indian units would arrive where?... India. If they're British or part of the Empire and they're intended for India, no need to buy them out. Elsewhere may matter depending on HR's. Just my .02.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to czert2)
Post #: 11
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/24/2014 11:33:35 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Obvert, I'd discuss it with GJ, but if it were me I'd just say there's no need to buy it out. As long as you have at least one base in India, and that's where it was due to arrive. To me Indian units would arrive where?... India. If they're British or part of the Empire and they're intended for India, no need to buy them out. Elsewhere may matter depending on HR's. Just my .02.

The difficulty is that I can't use them in Aden. I will need to push forward in India and I'll need every unit available, especially a division. I'll wait and see if it really does show up there before making a thread in the tech forum and letting Nic know.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 12
RE: UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) - 6/27/2014 10:11:27 AM   
obvert

Well, somehow the 26th changed destination for arrival in the two days before showing up on map and arrived finally at Karachi!

All is well. Although still a few construction units are slotted for Aden and restricted after bumping over from Madras, this solves the major problem of having to buy out a division. The rest I can handle.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> UNIT ARRIVAL (No GreyJoy please) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI