Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air support for USArmy????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Air support for USArmy???? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air support for USArmy???? - 11/6/2000 12:17:00 AM   
Jeff Norton

Been playing several campaigns and noticed that the USA does not get TAC air all that regurlarly. I've had a regular batch of assualts and attacking senarios, but no air support is avaliable in in the MISC area. I checked the formations list (with help from the editor...) and everything looks good, but no US air support. Any suggestions, out there??? (could my OOB's be corrupt or damaged???)

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite
Post #: 1
- 11/6/2000 1:16:00 AM   
Lars Remmen

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Norton: Been playing several campaigns and noticed that the USA does not get TAC air all that regurlarly. I've had a regular batch of assualts and attacking senarios, but no air support is avaliable in in the MISC area. I checked the formations list (with help from the editor...) and everything looks good, but no US air support. Any suggestions, out there??? (could my OOB's be corrupt or damaged???)
I guess your prefrences are set to XXX. So you will get air-strikes sometimes. If you want to be able to buy air-strikes in every battle, just set the number of air sections in the prefrences to whatever you like. Just remember that the 20mm Vierling can really ruin any pilots day. In my campaign as the Germans I rarely get a chance to buy any aircraft but I do have a few Möbelwagens. ------------------ Lars Nec Temere - Nec Timide

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Jeff Norton)
Post #: 2
- 11/6/2000 1:38:00 AM   
Jeff Norton

Cool!!! Was begining to think it was me.... Nothing worse than assualting with no A/C. Arty is a great help, but those planes do help. Mobelwagons, eh? If I can spot 'em, my M7's will send them some air-mail (105mm special deliveies). *When you care enough to send the very best* :^D Best, -Jeff

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

Post #: 3
- 11/6/2000 10:52:00 AM   
Viriato

Hello all , don't forget to send some telegrams to the 88's , because those are real plane ( and armor ) killers ...

A sorte protege os audazes

Post #: 4
- 11/15/2000 2:50:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Norton: Cool!!! Was begining to think it was me.... Nothing worse than assualting with no A/C. Arty is a great help, but those planes do help. Mobelwagons, eh? If I can spot 'em, my M7's will send them some air-mail (105mm special deliveies). *When you care enough to send the very best* :^D Best, -Jeff
I must be in a very small minority, I totally discount the effectiveness of airpower. In my German WWII campaign I shot down as many as 20 American aircraft per battle (6 core mobelwagens + about 800 points of support AA per battle) I never bought aircraft at all except for cargo aircraft to drop paras in some of the assault battles. To test just how effective the planes are I tested a unit of 6 Ju87g's to see what kind of tank busters they were. I even used Chandra's editor to raise one of them to the 150 level to simulate Rudel. When used against t34's they were able to to destroy just 3 out of 10 before running out of ammo or getting damaged. With the target changed to t70's they were able to take out 9 of ten but at the cost of buying 3 sections of aircraft and using the A0 and 2 FO's to keept sending them back in every turn (had the tanks sitting stationary by a predesignated hex so the planes could retarget every turn). As for artillary, in an entire WWII campaign I think I bought offboard twice, admittedly it did smash one flank of the defending line when I dropped 4 batteries of 150mm in a loose spread, but more importantly it was still in late 42 and my PzVIe's were still invulnerable to the British AT. If you want to really blow through the WWII campaign, never go to the Russian front, and never buy allied nation's units. I ended that campaign with 47 decisive, 5 marginal and 3 draws, and two of those draws were due to uprgrading the software in the middle of the campaign. Though the total battles were inflated since I started the core units as a long campaign 38-40 against the Chzecks, Poles, and Norway, then sometime after Sep 39 I continued them on as a WWII campaign, so they got some early experiance under their belt before the war officially started. A hint for you, if you can't buy strike aircraft, then you better think about buying AA, because only one side has air superiority in each battle, during the campaigns. thanks, John.

Post #: 5
- 11/15/2000 4:35:00 AM   
Arralen

Did you ever try one of those: 1) Bomber with 6..8 250 kg bombs? With a "blast radius" of 100m the really ruin your opponents day. 2) onboard mortars with at least 81mm ? They typically have a delay of 0,1..0,4 when directed with FO and can suppress really bad - the "big guns"(120/150mm) do even kill infantry nicely ... and there are rel. cheap. I regularly even break up tank attacks using 2..3 units of 150mm mortars. Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

Post #: 6
- 11/15/2000 4:43:00 AM   
Warhorse

Try the B-17 sometime, 1600 pounders def leave a mark!!! ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 7
- 11/16/2000 9:15:00 PM   
ARIS

Planes and artillery are not so usefull against the AI, but are very usefull against a human opponent. I found Soviet planes very usefull against German armour in 1943, since by that time it is very hard to kill Tigers with T-34... Also my artillery makes enemy infantry stand still, leaving the armoured advances unprotected.

Burn the beds, kill the bedbugs.

Post #: 8
- 11/16/2000 10:01:00 PM   
Warrior

I play solitaire against the AI, and I've had air attacks wipe off entire hillsides! If I think there's a chance of the enemy having air, it really makes deployment a challenge, since a bombing run will affect, at the least, 4 hexes. I've also used air strikes, and they can be tremendously damaging to the enemy units, though I'll generally run just one plane in first to find out where the AA is located, then destroy that before concerted attacks against troops or tanks. Whenever possible, I get some air. I like that tip about the default XXX setting, I didn't know that.

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Air support for USArmy???? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI