Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So tell us a little bit about yourself...Part2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> So tell us a little bit about yourself...Part2 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So tell us a little bit about yourself...Part2 - 9/2/2009 12:03:55 AM   
AW1Steve

In the WITP War room we had an occassional thread in which we would explain our log-in name, what our avatar was (and why we chose it) and a little about ourselves. Well, there are new folks here , and old veterans (of WITP,UV,PACWAR etc). So step right up, don't be shy, and tell us all about yourself.We won't bite (much!).

My name is Steve, and I'm a WITP-holic. Seriously , my 1st name is Steve, and in the USN/USNR I was a 1st class petty officer whose rate was Aviation Air Warfare Operator (abbreviated by the USN as AW1--hence AW1Steve). My avatar is the AW emblem on the AW1 Rating badge (think the Navy version of a sergents chevrons --except in the Navy , ther are all kinds of different emblems in the middle).

Ok, next!

< Message edited by AW1Steve -- 3/17/2010 9:31:20 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 12:23:36 AM   
Ketza

Ketza is my MMO name spelled backwards. Aztek

I have used that name since 1998 or so when I joined a guild that required everyone have Az in their name. Aztec was taken so I chose Aztek. That guild is long gone but I have kept the name even after Pontiac named an ugly car after me

I have used that name in Ultima online, Diablo, Planetside, Asherons call, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Warhammer online and now Darkfall.

Its neat to start playing a new online game and run into people you havent seen in 10 years because they ask "are you the original Aztek?"

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 2
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 1:27:42 AM   
Chickenboy

Well, as a long time WiTP (and UV) lurker, I'm just now getting active on the boards. "Chickenboy" is a common login / handle for me as I am, IRL, a veterinary pathologist, specializing in poultry. My real name is Andre, and I too am a WiTP-holic.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 1:42:38 AM   
88l71

88L71 is of course a reference to the deadly antitank weapon used on Jagdpanther, King Tiger, and Nashorn. I originally picked it for a non-wargaming forum as sort of an inside-joke referencing my love of WWII history, and because it was short and distinctive. In real life, my name is Tim.

My avatar - found it on the web and thought it was funny. I have two cats, IRL, source of much amusement in my insane little universe, and in my first WitP vanilla AAR I gave them fictional "General Staff" positions because they were fond of crawling up in my lap while I was working on a turn.

Before that I had a picture of an F6F-5 Hellcat in flight as my avatar; the Hellcat is my favorite aircraft of WWII.

I work nights in a warehouse for a worldwide shipping company and sleep at very odd hours. When not at work I'm usually messing around online or gaming (also own a PS3). I live in the Dallas, Texas area with my wife, Terri, and two stepdaughters. I'm 29, which probably makes me one of the younger folks around here. I also enjoy reading, target shooting, classic rock/heavy metal music, building scale models, (mostly aircraft but recently started a KV-1 tank), and my favorite sport is baseball.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 4
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 1:46:06 AM   
scott64

Name says it all. Born in 1964. History buff.

More about myself. Born in Iowa and move permanently to Colorado in 1996. Been a History buff since high school. First board game was Battle of Britain. Have Bachelors Degree in Business Management and a Master Degree Business Administration. Single with no kids. Thought about joining the military in college but had to get a job.

< Message edited by scott1964 -- 9/3/2009 4:04:36 AM >

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to 88l71)
Post #: 5
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 1:49:01 AM   
Ketza

I was born in 64 as well.

Was a good year for people evidently.

I have a wife and 3 daughters. 22 14 and 8.

I am a girl breeder.

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 6
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 2:20:27 AM   
MuguNiner

Greetings,

Muguniner comes from my enjoyment of the Point Mugu air shows that I have attended. Spent some time in the Marines from 76 to 80 and thus the boring avitar. I once had a board game similar to WITP back in 1970. I found an advertisement for Strategy & Tactics magazine. It published a magazine each month and each issue had a WWII board game. The issue I initially found offed the game "USN" and covered the first year and a half of the Pacific war. I spent untold hours playing that game. It was the first of many WWII board games that I owned over the years.

I live in the Pacific NW, and suffer dry eye which severly limits my game time...

I usually read the War Room in the old forum. Looks like people have moved over here.

USMC 1976-80

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 7
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 2:24:03 AM   
IronWarrior

I grew up in Northern Virginia where my main love was playing the guitar in many bar bands, and now live in the Pacific Northwest. I have two daughters and a son.

My avatar is of Robert Craufurd, a troublesome subordinate of Wellington's and commander of the infamous "Light Division" in the Napoleonic Wars. Quite a character to read about.

I was also in the Navy, went in as an SK3 (supply puke) and left the same. It was obvious that I wasn't cut out for the military (this pic almost had me in front of the Captain- again lol)...

The ship in my sig was the famous (for better or for worse) USS Cape St George (the ship I was on at the end of my time in the Navy). Whether it was a murder of a shipmate, famous pictures, boasting about having the most accurate guns in the fleet, or showing off in port, she had no shortage of fame. The pic in my sig is a famous one of her firing a Tomahawk during the first Iraq war I believe. I remember some ops she ran when I was aboard, that in a circumstance where she was hit with a biological/chemical weapon, her sister ship (another Ticonderoga class cruiser) could take over all her controls. She's the one on top in this photo along with a Danish and a British ship during BALTOPS 2002...

< Message edited by IronWarrior -- 9/2/2009 2:26:53 AM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 8
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 3:19:21 AM   
AcePylut

Born on New Years 1972... been into wargaming ever since I was 5 years old.

Ya see, my dad took my brother and I to see Midway, and that was the greatest thing I ever saw in my (short) life.  Went home and IMMEDIATELY began begging dad to build a model.  Then the "Black Sheep" came on TV, and HIrachi was my first ever idol.  So I built a Zero, and have been a Zero fan boy ever since.  It is, after all, the greatest sweetest looking aircraft man has ever came up with!  My brother, on the other hand, built an ME109, and thus, he became a German Fan Boy. 

Got my handle in 1995ish, first time I logged onto a Yahoo Chat Room.  AcePilot was taken, so AcePylut it became.  It's my handle in everything, so if you ever see an AcePylut, there's a pretty good chance it's me!

Been a long time StarFleet Command player, but always would play the wargames.  CC:Battle of the Bulge is probably one of  my favorite games.  Then SFC, NWN, UV, and finally took the plunge into WITP about 2 years ago, haven't looked back.

Did I mention that the A6M2 is the coolest plane ever? 

(in reply to IronWarrior)
Post #: 9
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 3:40:20 AM   
Mike Scholl

I was born in Missouri 3 months before Harry Truman was elected President.  I'm sure that's significant, but I don't know why.  Never bothered with a "handle" on the net, as I've never felt I had anything to hide.  Got the original Gettysburg for my birthday in 1959 and have been hooked for the last 50 years.

Met Joe Wilkerson playing the SPI "War in the Pacific" during a week-long moderated game in the 80's, and we've been friends ever since.   Retired 3 years ago, and I highly reccommend it to everyone..., if only the economy will cooperate.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 10
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 3:53:31 AM   
Mynok

First came to this world in 1938. As I was an undercover agent, I assumed human form and gained an immunity to those diseases that decimated my compatriots. Watched you people try to destroy yourselves in the gigantic conflict our beloved game depicts and wondered if maybe we shouldn't have just waited a few years.

Grabbed Tactics II and Squad Leader when I was 12 (you know Martian years are much longer than earthling years right?) and have been a wargame addict ever since.

Computers are my game and have been since day 1. We had them long before you bipeds did. I'm a night owl like all Martians as daytime radiation is far too nasty there. Cold is good. Heat is bad.

And the Japanese rule!

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 11
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 4:11:00 AM   
kfmiller41

Handle was just the best year I had up until then with my last name. Born in NJ in 1958, retired USN First Class in 1997 after serving on the USS Belknap, USS Samual Gompers and USS Puget Sound. Work as an inspector on our Trident Sub fleet now. Have been playing wargames since 1970 and own a ton of books on military history (just finished Downfall, a great book on why we used the A-Bombs ion Japan) Love WITP and have been hooked on it since it came out. Play mostly Japan even though I have the organizational skills of a house plant One of the most addicting games I have ever played, and I was a WOW addict for a few years.

< Message edited by miller41 -- 9/2/2009 10:20:11 PM >

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 12
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 7:56:22 AM   
herwin

I've had this handle on the internet since 1989--it stands for Harry Erwin. I have a website here, if you want to see the details of what I'm currently doing. I have had three years of military training (light infantry), but never served (asthma). I've played war games since 1958 and have some publications in the field.

I have had extensive experience in the operational analysis, modeling and simulation of military operations and systems, including ballistic missile defense, land and air combat, and submarines. I developed ADP models of the AN/BSY-2 Submarine Combat System for IBM and NUSC, and was the architect of the C3IS Simulation for TRW’s New Attack Submarine (NSSN) C3IS Study. I've worked on OBU, ASWOC, TSRCP (Chief Engineer), the USMC TCO System (Chief Engineer), SORAK (Software Architect), MIFASS, Sentry, Site Defense, and a number of other programs that shall not be named.

My current research is into how bats track and capture flying insects.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 13
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 8:01:25 AM   
erstad

Well, my forum name is my surname, if that isn't obvious.

Born in 61, played wargames in high school/college, many of the avalon hill and spi classics. Some of my buddies and I had an affinity for the "monster games" - war in the east/west; highway to the reich; and of course the original "war in the pacific".

As a consequence, I'm also a bit of a military history buff but I'm a real novice compared to many of the forumites.

Witp is really my only PBEM game, but I do play some other war/strategy games versus AI. Occasionally a CRPG but more and more rarely.

And the big three: Married 25 years, worked for the same company 25 years, been at my church 25 years. Guess I don't take well to change

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 14
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 8:43:09 AM   
sval062

I am born in 1970 in Paris (France ), CFO as a job and I play wargames (SL at the beginning) since I am 15. Moved to computer wargames in the beginning of the 90's (as it became harder to find opponents) and I have played PBEM on several different games (PzCampaigns, Combat missions,  Ageod's game, WITP and now AE of course) for a long time also.

My login is a mix of my first and last names.

< Message edited by sval -- 9/2/2009 8:44:12 AM >

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 15
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 8:48:27 AM   
Fishbed

Born in 1984, in France too 
Rather a simulation buff, didn't have a chance to get in strategy before the Task Force 1942 & 1942: Pacific Air War strategic modules, which completely rocked my life. Since then I had wet dreams of a game where I could land troops wherever I wanted to, build bases wherever I wanted to, bring whatever plane I wanted to. That dream became WitP, and I'm glad I can enjoy it now, although I would have loved doing so 10 years ago, when I had a little more spare time at hand

(in reply to sval062)
Post #: 16
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 8:58:41 AM   
rockmedic109

I was born {some say hatched} in 1963.  Was always interested in military history and discovered wargames before high school thanks to Santa Clause.  Played Star Fleet Battles in high school {not always during lunch break}. 

I am a Paramedic.  The unit number I was working when I joined was Medic 109.  The rock part of my moniker is from an incident with a rockslide on I-80 back in 2001 that left me off work for a little over six months recovering from fractures that I get reminded of from time to time.  Said incident also was indirectly responsible for me and my wife getting together so I cannot call it all bad.  BTW, the rock I hit is now a decoration in my front yard.

(in reply to sval062)
Post #: 17
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 9:11:27 AM   
gladiatt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ketza

I was born in 64 as well.

Was a good year for people evidently.

I have a wife and 3 daughters. 22 14 and 8.

I am a girl breeder.

1964 is not the best year .
I prefer mine..
69 is of course the best .

Two things:
1) i see that Steve is always the one starting this kind of thread . Hello Steve, thank you and glad to see you stay the same
2) i am please to see there is a good bunch of french around here
3) my history is divided between "The Thread " on AE forum, and the "tell your history" kind-of- on the old Witp forum. For those who could be interested....if any...i don't know...
4) to those who could tell " you said two things" ,well, yes, and where is the problem ????

< Message edited by gladiatt -- 9/2/2009 9:22:31 AM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 18
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 9:16:06 AM   
comte

Well I was born in 1979 in Ireland came to the U.S. at 10 months old. I'm married my wife calls this my geek world. I love history was a history major in college but now work retail I work second shift so I'm up late. I've been into computer wargames and strategy games for awhile. I think my first serious computer war game was Avalon Hills World at war Stalingrad a great game I have been recently reading some history of the pacific war in prep of my getting Witp AE which I got a couple of weeks ago, been waiting and lurking here for awhile waiting for the game to come out. I also enjoy a couple of other matrix/ageod games BoA2 and AACW. My handle Aces8 is named after the famous poker hand big fan of westerns and western history so I used this as my handle. I'm loving Witp AE and I'm learning something new everyday.

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 19
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 10:50:39 AM   
terje439

Norwegian, born in 1977. First name is Terje, and the number 439... Well it was the next in line when making my hotmail account.
Long time history geek, and been a gaming geek for almost as long, started out with Britannia the board game, and advanced upon various other games both board and on the PC.
First PC game that got me hooked on strategy gaming was Civilization (yes, I DO know that I did not write any number behind it!).
Ended up at Matrixgames after picking up UV in a bargain bin (3$ US), then bought FoF, WitP, CoG, CoG:EE, Witp:AE (in that order), oh and I DL'd Steel Panthers as well. Now waiting for MWiF and GG's Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich.

My avatar is a counter from the upcoming matrixgame title Matrixgames' World in Flames.

< Message edited by terje439 -- 9/2/2009 10:51:07 AM >

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 20
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 11:25:00 AM   
Grollub

My 1st name is Per. I’m a LtCol currently working as a teacher at the Swedish National Defence College.

My nick comes from the time when I used to play the card game “Magic”. I had built a playing deck containing the card “Grollub” (attached) for a Friday night casual cardgame & drinking session. As the gathering got a little “rowdy”, somebody compared my looks with the card, and that’s how my handle came to be …

My avatar is, of course, a wink in the direction of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, concerning the airspeed of swallows

Apart from that, I’m a long time gamer (since 1976) with a particular fondness for “monster games” (e.g. AH´s The Longest Day, GDW´s Fire in the East/Scorched Earth and of course WitP)

Attachment (1)

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 21
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 11:36:39 AM   
rominet

My name is Sylvester, i am a cat, a french cat and when i see there is not exactly the good number of pilots and planes in AE's pool, i spit, i scratch, i bite

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

1964 is not the best year .
I prefer mine..
69 is of course the best .

2) i am please to see there is a good bunch of french around here

Now seriously, i agree with Gladiatt, 69 is the best.

Olivier from France, i suddenly began to be interested by history when i watched the good film "the battle of Midway" (John Ford); i wanted to know more about this nearly unknown conflict in France.

After the book and the dissatisfaction to be only a passive reader of history, i began to play with a french naval tactical game called "Amirauté" and after, "Pacific War" (Victory games) and "Flat top".
And then, discovery of Uncommon Valor on PC and so on and so on ... .
IRL, teacher and married.

< Message edited by rominet -- 9/2/2009 11:37:38 AM >

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 22
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 12:11:32 PM   
GB68

My nick comes from my initials GB and the year I was born ('68). Not very exciting really. Have been a history buff ever since I was able to read as a kid. Comes from my dad who was a WW2 vet in the Australian Army and served in Japan with the B.C.O.F. ( British Commonwealth Occupation Forces) after the war. Read his copy of the History of WW2, all 8 volumes of it, when I about 10 or 11. Still have it now and browse it every now and then.

Born In Australia, raised in England since I was 10, worked in Atlanta, Panama City and Bogota for many years.. Now semi-retired back home in Australia. Married with a daughter of 11 years.

Had played war board games since I was a kid. Accidently stumbled accross WitP one day a few years ago, after being a fan of the "Steel Panther" series for years. Once I bought WitP, I played it almost non-stop for about 18 months, but work has kept me busy recently. Soon will dive into AE totally. May even have time for my first PBEM game soon.

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 23
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 1:46:59 PM   
Streptokok

My nick is kinda obvius, farking bacteria that is really tough to get rid off :)
I had one nasty infection with Strep in my nose (when they say dont pick your nose theres more to it than u know  ) so I use it as my nick as all others that i wanted to use are usualy taken on forums, games etc.
Born in '77 in Croatia, got trough the damn 10 year war and now i play war games
Been playing ever since my father bought me Spectrum48k and will do so till I roll over.
I have bunch of games, Witp and World war II online are my favorites. Witp for strategy and wwiionline for some FPS fun (theres no fun like bombing the crap out of people with Stuka  ).

< Message edited by Streptokok -- 9/2/2009 1:48:19 PM >

"No plan survives contact with the enemy."
- Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

"Nuts!"
- General Anthony McAuliffe

(in reply to GB68)
Post #: 24
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 2:48:21 PM   
USSAmerica

I'm Mike, married with one 11 year old son who plays hockey.  I spent 10 years in the USN and the only ship I was stationed on was good old USS America. 
I'm somewhere in the crowd on the bow in my avatar picture, as we transited the Suez Canal, one of my 6 times through.

I was 13 when I picked up Third Reich from Avalon Hill.  Around 1990, I bought the original Civilization and GG's Pacific War on the same trip to the computer store.  Both series have held me tightly in their grip until WitP.  Since I got it, I've played almost no other computer game.  I own Civ 4, but have never installed it on my computer in over 2 years. 

I am a proud Thread Brother.  If you don't take yourself too seriously, come and hang out with us. 

< Message edited by USS America -- 9/2/2009 2:49:38 PM >

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Streptokok)
Post #: 25
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 4:36:54 PM   
Q-Ball

I am a very boring 40-year old. I am from Illinois farm stock, I work for a very large Japanese company in corporate sales, and I have a wife and two kids who hate me because I spend too much time playing computer games. My dog is cool with it though.

My wife is more nautical than I am. She used to live in Maine and owned a couple boats, and now teaches at the nation's only public JrROTC Naval school, Rickover Naval Academy. She's more interesting than I am!

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 9/2/2009 4:57:11 PM >

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 26
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 4:51:56 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Nickname came from the song that was on when I started a character of that name on a mud named Ronin. Due to declining mental powers I generally use as few combinations as possible for nicknames, etc.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 27
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 6:31:10 PM   
hbrsvl

OK, I'll join the parade.

My login name is hbrsvl. after my name(Hugh Browne) and where I live(Roseville, CA.)

Born in 1932, served in the Navy during the Korean War(or police action) & got out after my hitch.

I've been an avid wargamer a long time. Started out with board games(Desert Fox, Rise & Decline of the Third Reich, etc.). Then to computer games-HOI, HOI2, Silent Hunter, The Mighty Eigth, etc.

Joined Matrix in 2002 with UV. Got one of the first commercial WITP games sold and have been right up there in the AVID WITP fans since.

Hugh Browne

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 28
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 6:52:47 PM   
bush

My name is Mike Bush, graduated from Penn State (psu) in 1981. Avid wargamer for about 35 years now, though strictly an SPI man in the early days. Never cared for Avalon Hill or GDW.

Worked in business logistics for 13 years and have been teaching elementary school the last 14 (after going back to school at St. Vincents College in Latrobe, PA), currently in San Jose, CA.

Married with two daughters, all very tolerant of my obsession(s).

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 29
RE: So tell us a little bit about yourself...... - 9/2/2009 7:42:07 PM   
Canoerebel

I was born in the Confederate States in 1960.

I never joined the military because I don't like people yelling at me.

I am older than Q-Ball, but more supple.

I'm younger than BradfordKay and have more chest hairs.

I took this screen name in the '90s when I was still doing a heck of alot of canoeing. Now I prefer hiking and mountain biking, but you're kinda stuck with a name once you choose one. I should've thought things through a bit more back then, but at least I didn't take a name like Squash Eater, Apathetic Lurker, or Miller (how bland).

Even though I'm celibate, I have a wife and three children.

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> So tell us a little bit about yourself...Part2 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI