Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/11/2010 12:55:16 PM   
CaptainHuge

I know that JTCS is being expanded to include the modern period and that is great, but are there any plans for using the engine to expand into earlier periods like WWI, ACW, Napoleonic, and even earlier? I suppose some engine tweaks might be required to factor in unit cohesion, but from my experience with the game, I think the engine could be adapted for these earlier periods.

Sure there are other games for those periods, but I love the way JTCS plays!
Post #: 1
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/11/2010 2:21:16 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptainHuge

I know that JTCS is being expanded to include the modern period and that is great, but are there any plans for using the engine to expand into earlier periods like WWI, ACW, Napoleonic, and even earlier?

Yes.

Jason Petho

(in reply to CaptainHuge)
Post #: 2
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/11/2010 8:05:39 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

I know that JTCS is being expanded to include the modern period and that is great, but are there any plans for using the engine to expand into earlier periods like WWI, ACW, Napoleonic, and even earlier?

Yes.

Jason Petho

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/12/2010 7:26:57 PM   
Vampir

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

quote:

quote:

Yes.

Jason Petho

OOOUUU YEEAAAAHHH !!!!
Yes! Jason to make it!

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 4
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/13/2010 11:02:53 PM   
dudalb_slith

Jason, how are you go handle formation issues when you get into 18th and 19th Century? THe JTCS system as it stands is NOT going to give an accurate portrayal. To be halfway accurate, the player is going to have to decide on which formation, Line,Column, Skirmishers,etc his troops will adapt. As much as I like the JTCS system for 20th century combat, unless some drastic modifications are done I can't see it working at a halfway realistic level for Earlier periods. The amount of work you will have to do in modifications will be a lOT more then whay you had to do with the Modern Combat level.

(in reply to Vampir)
Post #: 5
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/13/2010 11:07:21 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: dudalb

Jason, how are you go handle formation issues when you get into 18th and 19th Century? THe JTCS system as it stands is NOT going to give an accurate portrayal. To be halfway accurate, the player is going to have to decide on which formation, Line,Column, Skirmishers,etc his troops will adapt. As much as I like the JTCS system for 20th century combat, unless some drastic modifications are done I can't see it working at a halfway realistic level for Earlier periods. The amount of work you will have to do in modifications will be a lOT more then whay you had to do with the Modern Combat level.

Yes, of course drastic modifications will be required.

Just saying the plans are there to adopt to those older wars/conflicts. How and when we get there has yet to be decided.

Jason Petho

(in reply to dudalb_slith)
Post #: 6
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/13/2010 11:48:25 PM   
dudalb_slith

Thanks. I am a Civil War Reenactor, and deciding which formation to put your troops in is what the tactics of that war...and any Lineal Age War...was all about.

Post #: 7
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/14/2010 1:08:54 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: dudalb

Thanks. I am a Civil War Reenactor, and deciding which formation to put your troops in is what the tactics of that war...and any Lineal Age War...was all about.

Sounds like you are definitely the man to talk to once we start figuring out the mechanics.

Exciting news!!!

Hope you're well
Jason Petho

(in reply to dudalb_slith)
Post #: 8
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/14/2010 5:54:09 PM   
Crossroads

Wasn't the old Talonsoft East front engine a revamp done over their similar looking Civil War games?

I am too lazy to google but I recall they had several similar games from the era of the horse and musket? The Great War was not included, IIRC.

Where do you see the next JTCS series game going back in time?

Post #: 9
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/15/2010 1:11:05 AM   
V22 Osprey

For regimental facing We could simply use a modified version of the current 'armor facing effects' system already in the game. We would just "trick" the game into thinking they are all armor units. For formations, I'm sure we could borrow the code from Battleground series.

Really, I would just like the Battleground Civil War/Napoleonic Wars games turned to the JTCS system. As they are now, the battleground series is very limited, and there being no OOB nor is there a Map editor really limits the replayability of the games. HPS games are fine, but I don't want to by $500 worth of HPS games just so I could a game of the entire Civil War. I would like a game where it is like JTCS where I can play any Civil/Napoleonic War battle from Scenario menu, a battle generator, and full editors.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 10
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/15/2010 1:37:46 PM   
CaptainHuge

Formations of course would have to be included as the game progressed back in time. Currently, combat effectiveness is affected by base capability, strength points, cover etc. Formation would become another factor, both for offensive and defensive capability. Using different graphics files for the various formations would take up a lot of room I guess, but loaded/unloaded trucks prove it can be done. Can movement rates be changed in game? The mechanic for "carrying" units can be used for the capability to send out skirmishers from a unit (if that was included), but can a restriction be added for only being carried by the parent unit?

It might be asking too much, but another great addition would be some kind of a tool that allowed for user creation of units (choosing graphics, weapons etc). I used to play a game called Age of Rifles that allowed you to design your own units, including uniforms and weapons and that was great! I played some great scenarios for the Napoleonic era and ACW that were made online. I even experimented with some scenarios from the Riel Rebellion, cool stuff! It would be amazing if the JTCS can be adapted with that much flexibility.

Post #: 11
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/15/2010 3:17:14 PM   
Jason Petho

Yes, lots to consider indeed.

First, the focus is on Modern Wars: Volume I, volume II and the 1.05 UPDATE. When these are on their way, then we'll focus on the earlier time periods.

Jason Petho

Post #: 12
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/17/2010 1:10:41 AM   
Borst50

In my opinion, I do not think the current design of the game engine of JTCS would accomodate a "horse and musket" type game. WWI...yes I can see that. But for earlier periods, i have severe doubts. I had all the Napoleonic battlegrounds from talonsoft years ago.....they were really good...but were missing something.

If you are the type of commander who actually wants to see the individual men in a regiment....changing formations.....firing on the enemy....etc, I would suggest you check out "Take Command 2nd Manassas" from Mad Minute Games. Their game engire actually accomodates this type of game very well. The game is highly moddable, and there are 7 Years War, AWI, and Napoleonic Mods available. Un like JTCS...it is real time and not igoyougo.

However...the game does have problems...it is far from perfect. But it does capture the flavor of the age of linear tactics.

anyway...just my two cents worth.

Post #: 13
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/17/2010 2:57:43 AM   
junk2drive

quote:

First, the focus is on Modern Wars: Volume I, volume II and the 1.05 UPDATE. When these are on their way, then we'll focus on the earlier time periods.

Jason Petho

I was hoping that Rising Sun would get some work before all this other stuff. Ugly step child I guess...

Post #: 14
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/17/2010 3:08:14 AM   
scottintacoma

One of the reason I would like to see JTCS expanded is the igoyougo. I dont like realtime games.

Scott in tAcoma

(in reply to Borst50)
Post #: 15
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/17/2010 3:35:47 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

quote:

Jason Petho

I was hoping that Rising Sun would get some work before all this other stuff. Ugly step child I guess...

Hence the 1.05 UPDATE reference.

Rising Sun will be looked at for the 1.05 UPDATE.

Jason Petho

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 16
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/17/2010 4:25:15 AM   
junk2drive

I thought WF was going to be fininshed in 1.05 like EF was in 1.04 and RS would have to wait till 1.06

Post #: 17
RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods - 3/17/2010 5:09:17 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I thought WF was going to be fininshed in 1.05 like EF was in 1.04 and RS would have to wait till 1.06

WF will be looked at yes, they will all be looked at, including RS.

Jason Petho

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI