Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

racial tech preferred

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> racial tech preferred Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
racial tech preferred - 4/2/2010 6:38:01 PM   
taltamir

I managed to acquired the racial tech of several races (they sometimes offer to sell it to me for millions, or give it to me if i declare war on their enemies... they always refuse no matter the price if i ask for it).

anyways, it replaced superior tech in the ship designer... the thrusters increased from 1100 to 1182 in speed, but energy use went up from 5 to 7; i guess thats acceptable because at least its slightly faster (to hell with fuel efficiency i got a war to fight)... but the torpedoes were switched into ones that have 1/3rd the range and less ship damage for the ability to both damage ships and bombard...

I will post specific examples as I see them.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Post #: 1
RE: racial tech preferred - 4/2/2010 6:42:29 PM   
ASHBERY76

I think the bigger issue is the A.I should not even try to sell its biggest asset at all.It also gets rid of the unique ability for the race.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 2
RE: racial tech preferred - 4/2/2010 6:49:31 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I think the bigger issue is the A.I should not even try to sell its biggest asset at all.It also gets rid of the unique ability for the race.

well:
1. It needed it to survive and it got a very good deal for it... a 5 colony empire got me (300 colony empire) to declare war on a 60 colony empire (second largest). in the other case they got 1,500,000 money in cash.

2. they only offer it to me when I have something better (or at least equivalent).

3. unique technology makes no sense... Frankly they should be MORE willing to sell it but ONLY in exchange for multiple technologies... I have offered low tech empires ALL my tech for it and they refused.
Besides I have those races in my empire! I have had spies pick clean their tech tree (spies can't steal it)... So what sort of plausible explanation is there that i cannot copy that technology?

4. racial tech should not be available to "ascended" independent colonies; only to the starting empires... in my game there were 10 independent colonies that ascended from "no space tech" to "one colony empire"... each one got their racial tech and ONLY their racial tech.

5. bigger issue or not, it is an issue that the ship designer uses inferior components.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 4/2/2010 7:23:44 PM >

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 3
RE: racial tech preferred - 4/2/2010 8:21:55 PM   
BigWolfChris

If selling it gets the empire out of a major bind... then yes, by all means (No point of an advantage if you're dead, is there?)

But, if you flip side it, I (and presumably many others) wouldn't hand over a tech that gives us a good advantage

However, concerning stealing it... unless the technology is tied to the races physiology, then there is no real reason you shouldn't be able too, but it would be alot harder
And even if it's tied, if you have members of that race in your empire, then there should be a chance of getting it

Of course, if the said technology offers zero advantage over anybody, it's worthless.  Therefore let them try to make money off it by being sold as "relic tech" lol

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 4
RE: racial tech preferred - 4/2/2010 8:52:40 PM   
Fishman

quote:

None of the racial techs are unique, they're all accessible on the normal research tree. The racial attribute is the fact that they have access to it from the beginning of the game, while everyone else can only get access to it as practically the last item on the tree. The quality of the racial tech varies widely. Probably the best 2 racial techs in the game are the Best Thruster and the Best Warp Drive. One gives practical invincibility in any dogfight, the other gives you unmatched strategic mobility.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: racial tech preferred - 4/2/2010 10:12:56 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishman

quote:

None of the racial techs are unique, they're all accessible on the normal research tree. The racial attribute is the fact that they have access to it from the beginning of the game, while everyone else can only get access to it as practically the last item on the tree. The quality of the racial tech varies widely. Probably the best 2 racial techs in the game are the Best Thruster and the Best Warp Drive. One gives practical invincibility in any dogfight, the other gives you unmatched strategic mobility.

Nice. The unique race technologies are actually in the late tree for everyone.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> racial tech preferred Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI