Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/1/2010 8:20:00 PM   
MajFrankBurns

I'm looking for the smallest least expensive netbook or laptop that will play most Matrixgames, HPS and/or Shrapnel games? Ideas and links would be appreciated. I have this job now of watching the clouds roll by and I'd like something to do in place of that from time to time.
Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/1/2010 8:40:21 PM   
Yogi the Great

Do you get paid by the cloud?

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to MajFrankBurns)
Post #: 2
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/1/2010 8:41:41 PM   
DampSquib

Try..for new...http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/?refsource=ldadwords&gclid=CLD83rXWsaECFVgA4wodngPE_g

Or surplus stock etc...http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/default.asp

Post #: 3
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/1/2010 8:52:42 PM   
bairdlander2

What

< Message edited by bairdlander -- 5/1/2010 9:17:28 PM >

(in reply to DampSquib)
Post #: 4
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/1/2010 9:00:51 PM   
htuna

better off getting a cheap laptop.. Netbooks aren't made for gaming!

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 5
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/1/2010 9:18:25 PM   
MajFrankBurns

Ok I want to be able to run Panzer Command:Kharkov, Forge of Freedom, Crown of Glory EE, the new Pacific Storm or Storm over the Pacific, Advanced Tactics and HPS Squad Battles and Ancients games and Dominions III. What should I get that's cheap and small? I might be interested in Time of Wrath later on and Heroes of Stalingrad and World In Flames? Oh and if possible Making History II and EU:Rome Vae Victus and Crusader Kings Dues Vult? I think that is all.

I don't know what the minimum cpu I need or graphics card for a laptop for these so I kind of need numbers as well as models. Also I kind of need US pricing charts and websites since I live in the states. Thanks

This is a great job as there is hardly any traffic on Sundays and I have all this time to do nothing but look at the clouds and watch the cloud races. Kind of tired of playing Hearts and Majhong and solitare on the company computer as those are pretty boring.

I'd like something under $500 if that is possible. I don't need extreme graphics or a racehorse laptop just something that will play most of the games I listed if possible. I was hoping Erik might chime in and give me some idea of the perfect model at the low end price range?

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 6
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/1/2010 9:26:38 PM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns

I'm looking for the smallest least expensive netbook or laptop that will play most Matrixgames, HPS and/or Shrapnel games?

Hmm, does it have to be a laptop/Netbook?
In case you have access to a monitor/TFT at work, you should get a mini-desktop:

http://search.laptopsdirect.co.uk/search?w=mini-desktop
http://www.walmart.com/ip/AR1600-910H/13866885
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-160-GB-EBXB202-WHT-X0081/13031301

NOTE:
If you opt for a Netbook (this goes for mini-desktop PCs too), make sure they have an Intel Atom cpu and a Nvidia ION video chip!
Netbooks without Intel Atom (say early ASUS eeePC models) are really really slow. The first ASUS eeePC (as well as Netbooks from other companies) had such a slow CPU and video chip, that its performance was too low for enjoyable (war)gaming, imho.
The Atom chip coupled with an ION chipset makes quite a difference, as it turns a netbook almost into a competitive mini-laptop.

If you opt for a real laptop then you won't have to consider such details/limitations, but you won't get a proper laptop below $380.

The least expensive laptops may be the ones from eMachines, but with those rather inexpensive machines, the video chips are usually the limiting factor (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator, usually working in shared memory mode):

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=PC+laptop&search_constraint=0&tc=0&ic=48_0&ref=+500000.500592&tab_value=All&clicked_tab_value=All&depts=E_A_Gi

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 5/1/2010 9:34:44 PM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

Post #: 7
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/1/2010 10:26:50 PM   
htuna

Here ya go!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114789

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 8
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/1/2010 10:45:06 PM   
MajFrankBurns

Oh I like that one also cmurphy.

I also found this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115728

It's coming down to the graphics card which I like the ATI name brand now. oh and I noticed a memory type difference 667 vs 800.

You think that one will do for all the matrixgames cmurphy? Is that a good best price?

Oh and thank you everyone else who gave input. This is my first laptop and all help is appreciated.

< Message edited by MajFrankBurns -- 5/1/2010 10:46:17 PM >

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 9
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/1/2010 11:13:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

If Panzer Command: Kharkov is on your list, make sure you don't skimp on the video card. A good dedicated video card (doesn't need to be the latest, but don't go for the cheap integrated video chips) will help a lot, as will a dual core processor.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 10
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/1/2010 11:32:05 PM   
MajFrankBurns

So what is the minimum recommended intergrated video card Erik? Will that ATI 4100 work or do I need something faster?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/2/2010 1:52:52 AM   
Erik Rutins

They are about the same performance-wise. Both will technically run Panzer Command, but you'll be GPU-bound.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 12
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/2/2010 2:31:49 AM   
MajFrankBurns

Well what would you recommend Erik as a non intergrated video card? Something minimum range that will run Panzer Command at its best?

Post #: 13
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/2/2010 2:55:01 AM   
htuna

I prefer that ATI card like in the Toshiba.. most Intel 'cheaper' laptops have the intel graphics which ain't nothing great.. if an Intel laptop has an Nvida card in it, it's gonna cost a lot more...

This is the Toshiba I bought (which I love).. great price.. but more expensive than what you're looking to spend

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114802

Post #: 14
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/2/2010 4:04:17 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Well what would you recommend Erik as a non intergrated video card? Something minimum range that will run Panzer Command at its best?

I haven't looked into laptop video cards in detail lately, so I'm not sure what the best bang for the buck is this year. My current laptop has an Intel Core Duo and a Geforce Go 8600 and it works quite well for Panzer Command, with all the settings on high. The ones you were looking at would still be able to run Panzer Command, but you'd probably want to keep the settings lower and your FPS would not be all that great. If I had to choose between the Intel and the ATI, I'd probably take the ATI, but overall I'd look for something equivalent to a desktop GeForce 7600 or higher.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 15
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/2/2010 5:11:10 PM   
Bison36

FWIW I've have an ATI HD 3650 series on my lappy and it runs PcK no problems.

Post #: 16
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/2/2010 5:39:29 PM   
bairdlander2

Long known for its high-end desktop and laptop gaming rigs, Alienware is taking its first stab at a lightweight, netbook-sized gaming machine with the M11x ($899 for the base configuration, $1,099 for what I’d consider the minimal loadout.)

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 17
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/2/2010 5:57:18 PM   
06 Maestro

I would stay away from Alienware. I bought one about 5 years ago. I had more trouble with that one desktop then all the others combined. When it came time to utilized their "Alien Respawn" -which I paid extra for, there was nothing on it. All this for a system which I could have purchased at multiple other outlets for a little over 1/2 of the Alienware cost. Oh yea, the support-heelooow, this is Frrank. Dell drug this outfit down into the black hole of Calcutta-along with the rest of their holdings.

Gee, I hope that did not sound too bitter. On the bright side, you may get a real cool box and logo. Just realize that you are paying twice as much for the actual product as you should-only for the logo. You sure as hell are not getting added quality.
Stay away from Alienware-get something of quality and value.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 18
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/2/2010 6:27:24 PM   
D.Ilse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

I haven't looked into laptop video cards in detail lately, so I'm not sure what the best bang for the buck is this year. My current laptop has an Intel Core Duo and a Geforce Go 8600 and it works quite well for Panzer Command, with all the settings on high. The ones you were looking at would still be able to run Panzer Command, but you'd probably want to keep the settings lower and your FPS would not be all that great. If I had to choose between the Intel and the ATI, I'd probably take the ATI, but overall I'd look for something equivalent to a desktop GeForce 7600 or higher.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik, you have a link to your model? Looking for a good portable gaming machine for work which is going to include travel starting in the next few months.

Post #: 19
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/2/2010 6:54:56 PM   
Bison36

It really depends on your price range. Newegg and Tigerdirect have decent laptops for less than $800 with a dedicated gpu, dual core processor and at least 4 Gb of ram. If you have a greater price range, they also have more upscale models. Additionally if you do some research at tomshardware dot com, you can look at gpu rating charts to find which desktop cards have mobility comparable card.

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 20
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/3/2010 12:47:15 AM   
MajFrankBurns

Thanks everyone I should be able to throw something together from all this feedback. Great people at this forum, very helpful.

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 21
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/3/2010 2:53:34 AM   
hgilmer3

Can I come work at your place of work?

Post #: 22
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/4/2010 1:04:53 AM   
MajFrankBurns

Lol everyone wants my job. I would be willing to trade it for a taste tester at a beer brewery though.

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 23
RE: Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames - 5/4/2010 1:25:01 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

Lol everyone wants my job. I would be willing to trade it for a taste tester at a beer brewery though.

Being a taste tester may turn out to be an ascetic life. I saw a doc about a beer tester in a German brewery, he could not smoke and he did not get more than a few sips of beer, plus he had to watch his food, in order not to kill his sense of taste.

Btw, let me know what laptop (with what video card) you got (once you have it), plus how the performance of its card turns out. Get one that has a dedicated video card (with its own memory), avoid shared memory versions (even ATI has such cards). From what I read in forums, the ATI HD4200 and similar models are pretty disappointing performance-wise, you may have to play 3D games with lowest detail settings, and I'm not sure if - even on low details - the frame rates are enjoyable.
You should do some research on the net, for speed comparisons and regarding the ability of low budget laptops to display 3D games with acceptable frame rates.

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 5/4/2010 1:34:49 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Help buying computer for work to play Matrixgames Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI