Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mene Grande still looking for a reason to exist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mene Grande still looking for a reason to exist Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mene Grande still looking for a reason to exist - 2/10/2022 6:55:29 AM   
RFalvo69

I'm returning to this game after three years of total abstention, fresh install, latest beta, to check IF it made any progress in the meanwhile. I sit down in front of my PC, start the Global War scenario, and in half and hour I can see how three years ago the initial convoy placement for the Commonwealth was broken in the Caribbean area, but after some years of efforts and some patches the initial convoy placement for the Commonwealth in the Caribbean area is still broken anyway. But it is a good thing, because reallocating the time needed to fix a crucial part of the game to the AI for Barbarossa is smart - or so I'm told.

But maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I'm hallucinating about the multi-month attempt to program the AI for the smallest scenario of the game, and maybe I'm just obsessed in my fixation with Mene Grande when things like half-map scenarios should have the priority. Of course I'm not implying that that creating a AI is impacting crucial work in a part of the game - mostly because it is actually impacting crucial work in multiple parts of the game.

Anyway, after a struggle with the search engine for this forum I was able to determine that the convoy system was broken in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2020 and 2022 (it was broken too in 2016-2019; dunno about 2021, tho, while I was not playing: maybe I missed some posts).

Sigh. Yes, I saw the workarounds. It was me who coined the term "Workarounds in Flames". Still, I feel that it is only fair to ask: is there a way for the Commonwealth to get everything from overseas - exp. from the Caribbean area? Maybe I'm missing something.

If not, amen to that. Disinstall and forget again. GG: War in the West is giving me a lot of fun - with no workarounds needed. Same with OCS "The Blitzkrieg Legend" on the tabletop.

Peace.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Post #: 1
RE: Mene Grande still looking for a reason to exist - 2/10/2022 10:23:26 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Anyway, after a struggle with the search engine for this forum I was able to determine that the convoy system was broken in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2020 and 2022 (it was broken too in 2016-2019; dunno about 2021, tho, while I was not playing: maybe I missed some posts).

Sigh. Yes, I saw the workarounds. It was me who coined the term "Workarounds in Flames". Still, I feel that it is only fair to ask: is there a way for the Commonwealth to get everything from overseas - exp. from the Caribbean area? Maybe I'm missing something.

In my experience (and I am too an experienced wif player not to know how to deploy convoys) the game keeps broken.

Some people tell me that is so because I cannot understand the procedure to make the IA (?) understand what I want, but after reading the information and seeing the videos I simply can't, especially with CW. Now I am playing with the japanese in a new game and I had enough conv but 1 resource didnt reach. I had to reroute it to have it available, by land instead of by sea, with the risk of partisans thet it wouldnt have otherwise.

I am no expert in computing but have been all my life using programs and have an intelligence at least average, so even if the procedure worked and I simply wans't clever enough to use it, it is nor friendly enough.

On the other hand, some people claim they can.

At least the trade agreements seem to work and their resources arrive, and the JA lost resources with the right amount of conv seems to be only 1. CW a bit more.

Of course, if you send more conv you can get all resources but that:

1 strains your conv reserve
2 may make it easier for enemy to find them (i.e. passing from 10 to 11 conv in a sea)
3 there may be more "ships" to shoot at in a battle.

And of course if nothing works and you are familiar with math and computing (just a bit) and have the energy and the time to try editing game files, there is

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4136832&mpage=1&key=

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 2/10/2022 10:39:46 AM >

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 2
RE: Mene Grande still looking for a reason to exist - 2/10/2022 11:47:53 AM   
Centuur

The convoy system is working correctly, apart from one bug regarding the sending of trade build point out of Vichy when it is active.

It is not broken. You need to learn how to use the interface correctly. And that is hard work with a lot of trial and error.

Peter

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 3
RE: Mene Grande still looking for a reason to exist - 2/10/2022 3:13:38 PM   
CL55AMG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

The convoy system is working correctly, apart from one bug regarding the sending of trade build point out of Vichy when it is active.

It is not broken. You need to learn how to use the interface correctly. And that is hard work with a lot of trial and error.

Unfortunately, the AI that allocates the convoys to resources, build points and oil and the manual override interface has issues and is clunky IMHO.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 4
RE: Mene Grande still looking for a reason to exist - 2/10/2022 11:46:49 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

At the start of Global War the Commonwealth and France have "just enough" convoys to get resources back to Europe for production. The Commonwealth should also be able to save 3 oil points in Canada.

If you are trying to do more than that, then you will just spin in circles - a lot like a game of musical chairs where 5 people are trying all find a seat when there are only 4 chairs.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to CL55AMG)
Post #: 5
RE: Mene Grande still looking for a reason to exist - 2/11/2022 1:39:13 AM   
gw15

The convoy system works.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Mene Grande still looking for a reason to exist Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI