Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Component Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Component Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Component Question - 4/14/2010 4:51:15 PM   
TheSAguy

So I'm starting to play with the Design Menu more, and am really enjoying it.

I totally agree with some of the suggestions to streamline this a bit more, like rolling up multiple of the same components and creating a bare essentials button to add at least all the requires components.

I have a question on adding multiple of the same components and their effect.
I understand the simple ones like Weapons, Shields, Armor, Fuel cells. The effect is cumulative.

What about Command Centers and Commerce Center and a bunch of other Components.
The Help files are not clear about cumulative components.

A good example is Damage Control Component. The pedia clearly says that this does not have any cumulative effect. What other components don’t have?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Component Question - 4/14/2010 4:54:49 PM   
Fishman

Most non-simple components are not cumulative and the only value in redundancy is to retain functionality in the event of damage. Of these, only damage control centers tend to warrant this response, as most other functions are not so critical that they need to be retained indefinitely in the event of damage.

(in reply to TheSAguy)
Post #: 2
RE: Component Question - 4/15/2010 10:17:48 PM   
TheSAguy

Some other Questions:
How do you know how many Cargo Storage you need?
The Pedia also mentioned that you should have one of each type of Manufacturers for each Construction Yard. What if you have two or even four Construction yards per the four types of Manufacturers. Does that mean the Construction Yards will work at 50% or 25% of Normal speed?

What exactly are the function of Fuel Cells at Planetary bases? Some default Designs have a lot of Fuel Cells. What’s the Advantage or Disadvantage of Dropping to only have one or two?

Thanks.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 3
RE: Component Question - 4/16/2010 7:06:39 AM   
Wicky

All components which have a "%" percent sign in its properties are not cumulative. Damage Control, Command center, ECM, Targetting. The rest of the components do stack.

A constructor will only need the cargo to build the biggest available station of course. If you design a mega mining station with 3500 size, it will say in the construction summary how many materials it needs.
A spaceport never needs a cargo bay, it shares with the planet and will always have 20k of each material (if available)
They do however require 1 fuel cell. It's totally useless, but it requires it.

I'm also wondring if constructors benefit from multiple plants. Maybe it's faster, maybe the limiting factor is the speed of the shipyard component who knows.

(in reply to TheSAguy)
Post #: 4
RE: Component Question - 4/16/2010 8:12:19 AM   
Fishman

Multiple plants stack, in the sense that resources can be rendered into components faster when you have more plants. However, a ship is still built at a single shipyard, so after a point, a point which varies depending on what you are building and what your respective technolergy levels are in each item, you will have a pile of completed components waiting to be assembled into a ship.

(in reply to Wicky)
Post #: 5
RE: Component Question - 4/16/2010 3:42:01 PM   
Cindar

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSAguy
What exactly are the function of Fuel Cells at Planetary bases? Some default Designs have a lot of Fuel Cells. What’s the Advantage or Disadvantage of Dropping to only have one or two?

They are still used as a backup in case energy is low. I believe they are used if the energy collectors are unable to sustain energy levels during battle (due to weapons depleting energy). They are also used in any situation in which the station can't get energy, for example, a research station orbiting a black hole. Furthermore, ships that refuel draw from the station's fuel tanks.

(in reply to TheSAguy)
Post #: 6
RE: Component Question - 4/16/2010 7:32:37 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cindar

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSAguy

They are still used as a backup in case energy is low. I believe they are used if the energy collectors are unable to sustain energy levels during battle (due to weapons depleting energy). They are also used in any situation in which the station can't get energy, for example, a research station orbiting a black hole. Furthermore, ships that refuel draw from the station's fuel tanks.

And how do stations with fuel tanks refuel there own tanks?

(in reply to Cindar)
Post #: 7
RE: Component Question - 4/16/2010 8:34:17 PM   
Astorax

The private sector ships will eventually send a freighter to refuel it. At least, theoretically.  Heh.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Component Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI