Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking of taking the gamble!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Thinking of taking the gamble!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking of taking the gamble!! - 4/6/2010 6:41:16 PM   
DrewBlack

Hi

When i say gamble as its a Matrix release not so much... just i was let down by Armada. I love 4x games but turn based (Moo1Moo2 SE5), SoSE was just about my limit but i hated how quick everything seemed even on slow. I like to take may time, at present im still playing SE5 with BM 1.19 and Im looking at this board trying to make up my mind should I take the plunge and get DW.

I know this is just one of those SHOULD I, SHOULDNT THREADS like the thousands before but come on peeps let me know show me the path!!!!

By the looks of this it could keep me sane & happy till WiE comes out to play or I win the lottery and get to become a betatester for it.

Thanks for reading and ANY opinion good or bad most welcome on thia subject.

Drew
Post #: 1
RE: Thinking of taking the gamble!! - 4/6/2010 6:56:24 PM   
Wade1000

If you take games super slow then treat each day/tick, or several days, as a turn and pause at each one.

To improve your learning experience try these:
Distant Worlds: Recommendations/advice to new players to improve learning experience.

1. Explore both tutorials fully.
2. Expand into the Galactopedia.
3. Exploit the manual.
4. Exterminate questions by using the forum.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2420181&mpage=1&key=?

(What game is WiE? My research shows nothing.)

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 4/6/2010 6:59:00 PM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to DrewBlack)
Post #: 2
RE: Thinking of taking the gamble!! - 4/6/2010 7:00:00 PM   
ASHBERY76

Sins is not at all like DW.Sins is Age of Empires in space.

DW is EuropaUniversalis speed.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 3
RE: Thinking of taking the gamble!! - 4/6/2010 7:00:12 PM   
freeboy

the game is very functional as a turn based game..  Iam old school and like turn based and LOATH real time "click fests" This is a strategy game, lite but fully emersive and easily paused... If you run on fastest mode as I do, then pause make desicions watch, PRAY? lol, react pause make more decisions, then it plays very much LIKE a turn basd game, retaining the flow of a rts.. good luck

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 4
RE: Thinking of taking the gamble!! - 4/6/2010 7:21:16 PM   
HsojVvad

Well not buy this game becuase it's a Matrix game as you say is like saying never buying an Atari game, or EA game or 2K game. That is like saying I will never visit go on the internet because peopole can act like Aholes. I guess what I am saying is one rotten apple dosn't spoil the barrel.

Most people on the fourms enjoy the game. There is only one or two that I know of do not enjoy the game. One person said he will not touch the game until a 1.05 patch comes out. We all have different tastes.

All I can say is do you like MOO games? Did you ever try or play Europa Universallis and or Hearts of Iron? Basically this is like MOO a 4X space game, but plays like EU or HoI in real time but pause when ever you like. I was very leary about the real time element of the game. I love how I can pause the game when ever I want and still issues orders and do what ever I want to do. While I am not too impressed with combat yet, just like a RTS game, pick a ship or squadron and click on enemy. It's ok, better than how Civ does combat. I guess we will never have MOO II type combat again. That was awsome. Now if CodeForce can make a MOOII type combat in RT, then this would almost be a perfect game.

But I am enjoying this game imensly. Yes there is a huge learning curve to the game. Yes there is a few things I am not happy with and don't have fun with. But like most games, the pros outway the cons.

I would recomend getting the game if you love 4X space game in the style of EU and HoI.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Thinking of taking the gamble!! - 4/6/2010 7:28:41 PM   
lordxorn

What is WiE>?

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 6
RE: Thinking of taking the gamble!! - 4/6/2010 7:42:38 PM   
DrewBlack

WIE =War in the East!!!

Another potential classic on the horizon!!!

Thanks for the comments, i think im going to have to jump in!!

Thanks

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 7
RE: Thinking of taking the gamble!! - 4/6/2010 7:58:00 PM   
Sarkus

Based on criticisms seen on various boards, I think DW may bother you if you are the type of gamer that wants to directly control everything. This is a game that requires the player to give at least some control to the AI and at the moment there are some bugs in what the AI does and how well it does it. Personally I'm really enjoying the game, but the style is much different then other 4X strategy games out there.

(in reply to DrewBlack)
Post #: 8
RE: Thinking of taking the gamble!! - 4/6/2010 8:13:14 PM   
HsojVvad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarkus

Based on criticisms seen on various boards, I think DW may bother you if you are the type of gamer that wants to directly control everything. This is a game that requires the player to give at least some control to the AI and at the moment there are some bugs in what the AI does and how well it does it. Personally I'm really enjoying the game, but the style is much different then other 4X strategy games out there.

Actually you don't have to. You can control every single thing if you wanted to. But that would be mind boggling, even in a 100 star game.

(in reply to Sarkus)
Post #: 9
RE: Thinking of taking the gamble!! - 4/6/2010 8:27:05 PM   
freeboy

um no, you can control YOUR stuff, BUt remember, there is also a shadow force of private ships, you cannot control them or your economy.. I think THAT is what they are talking about having no control over.. and you are correct in the things you are able to touch great ability is there...

The actions of a player directly affect his economy, so I do not mind not controlling the private sector.. raise or lower tax rates, mine here .. don't mine here etc

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 10
RE: Thinking of taking the gamble!! - 4/6/2010 9:06:49 PM   
Sarkus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarkus

Actually you don't have to. You can control every single thing if you wanted to. But that would be mind boggling, even in a 100 star game.

Which is part of my point - people that are trying to play the game that way are complaining about the UI and why it takes so long to refuel (which I'm not denying is legitimate but its less of an apparent game stopping issue if you let the AI handle fleets in general) and so on.

Pretty much every prior successful 4X space game has had the player do pretty much everything, even if some allowed you to turn stuff over to the AI. While DW provides that same level of control for people who want it, IMHO it's so you can pick and choose to intervene here and there and is not designed to be the ideal game for the micro-manager player who wants to do all that stuff.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Thinking of taking the gamble!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI