Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

extra reactor designs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> extra reactor designs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
extra reactor designs? - 4/7/2010 6:02:51 AM   
aprezto

Reactors are large consumers of space. But it appears one of the biggest draw backs to your combat efficiency - especially in a chasing fight - is the lack of energy to fire your weapons.

Haven't actually tried this, just thinking about it. But is adding another reactor an option?

Also, since the only way to find this out (the down to pop-gun firing rates) is when your ships meet the bad guys, is a battle simulator that allows you to pit your designs against enemy designs you've scouted something worth looking into?

Image courtesy of Divepac
Post #: 1
RE: extra reactor designs? - 4/7/2010 6:10:02 AM   
VarekRaith

Sure, you can add more reactors. The early ones are huge, though.

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 2
RE: extra reactor designs? - 4/7/2010 6:33:31 AM   
HsojVvad

When making your ship, when you add a reactor, it tells you how much extra power you have. I am shure this extra power is what the weapons use when firing.

(in reply to VarekRaith)
Post #: 3
RE: extra reactor designs? - 4/7/2010 9:56:30 AM   
YourConscience

In fact, when adding 5 weapons where each requirs 10 energy, then you need 50 excess energy for them to be able to fire continuously. I learned this the hard way: Added 20 weapons to a resupply ship. I though: Cool, what a monstership! Then when meeting the baddies, it fired them all at once ... and ... then proceeded firing only one or two at a time. What a letdown. :)

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 4
RE: extra reactor designs? - 4/7/2010 10:22:25 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: aprezto

Reactors are large consumers of space. But it appears one of the biggest draw backs to your combat efficiency - especially in a chasing fight - is the lack of energy to fire your weapons.

I do this all the time. Extra speed in hyperspace is good. More energy in combat is good.

quote:

Also, since the only way to find this out (the down to pop-gun firing rates) is when your ships meet the bad guys, is a battle simulator that allows you to pit your designs against enemy designs you've scouted something worth looking into?

A battle-simulator isn't the only way. You can do a quick calculation: energy consumed during cruise and/or sprint speed (the latter is often relevant in chasing battles) plus energy consumption of all weapons per second when firing constantly plus static energy usage of the ship should come close to the energy production of your reactors or surpass it. As so often it is a trade-off between space used on a ship and behavior in typical vs. extreme cicumstances.

The energy needs of the weapons can roughly be estimated without a calculator, but I'd like it, if the figure were displayed somewhere on the ship design screen. Or is it, and I didn't look closely enough?

Forgot to mention: Engines are also a huge factor in the energy-balance of a ship. Note, how there are models that achieve their thrust levels with different energy drain? Indirectly, but very prominently, it goes into the cruise and sprint speed energy use. Here, you're often forced to balance speed vs. energy drain vs. space.

Ship design is a really well-realized aspect of Distant Worlds.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davor

When making your ship, when you add a reactor, it tells you how much extra power you have. I am shure this extra power is what the weapons use when firing.

This and the engines, both. Your ships often do not stand still during battle.

quote:

ORIGINAL: YourConscience
In fact, when adding 5 weapons where each requirs 10 energy, then you need 50 excess energy for them to be able to fire continuously.

You also need to adjust for the rate of fire which varies a lot.
Typical values for some early game weapons:
Maxos Blaster SL: ~0.6 secs/shot
Epsilon Torp: (??) ~1.6 secs/shot
Concussion Beam: 1.1 secs/shot

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 4/7/2010 10:36:51 AM >

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 5
RE: extra reactor designs? - 4/7/2010 12:20:30 PM   
tuser

They should add a "maximum power consumption" figure to the design screen, would save us a lot of hassle there..

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 6
RE: extra reactor designs? - 4/7/2010 1:22:41 PM   
taltamir

extra reactors produce more energy faster... but burn more fuel. You run out of fuel, you can't fire anymore!
so you better have lots of fuel tanks...

Reactor tech is one of the most important techs in the game, and very rewarding when you have higher end reactors (higher end ones are more efficient, consuming less fuel per 1000 energy produced. And can produce more energy faster)

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to tuser)
Post #: 7
RE: extra reactor designs? - 4/7/2010 9:06:45 PM   
aprezto

Wow, a lot more to this than I realised. But this seems to make the tools we have at our disposal a little underpowered for figuring out the best configurations.

Still, nice to see such depth. Some real paper, scissors, rock involved.

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> extra reactor designs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI