Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.0.3: Colony Ship Expansion Planner Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.0.3: Colony Ship Expansion Planner Issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.0.3: Colony Ship Expansion Planner Issues - 4/14/2010 5:06:41 PM   
Fishman

As requested, for losing in the circular file:
quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

WORST OF ALL, the colony ships queued are not even your actual colony ship, but some made-up design that you do not want and often costs more than the design you HAVE made, or is missing critical features that will prevent it from safely reaching its destination.
Regarding where colony ships are built, there is an issue that can cause too many to be queued at a single planet. We're planning to tweak that. The second part, I have no idea what you are referencing there. If you are seeing an issue there, can you please post it in a new thread?Ordering "build colony ship and colonize planet" from the Expansion Planner results in the expansion planner queuing a colony ship somewhere that is not YOUR colony ship design, instead making up some crappy colony ship design even when NOT PERMITTED TO REDESIGN SHIPS, often producing a design that is more expensive or lacks critical features necessary to complete the mission safely. For instance, I have a colony ship design that has additional engines so that it will actually be capable of maneuvering to the planet in a timely fashion because, honestly, I would rather pay for $1000 of extra engines than watch it hobble painfully at a speed of 2 to its destination. Additionally, I slap one or more layers of armor plate on a colony ship because frequently, desirable colonization targets may become inhabited by annoying pirates, but their puny lazors are unable to penetrate ultradense plating, so the colony ship will make it even if it comes under fire. The additional cost is considered to be more acceptable than the annoyance of having to manually dispatch a warship to inspect every colonization site and then sit there to make sure no one shows up between now and then. Additionally, I do not want them running away from every two-bit pirate they see, so they are to complete their missions or DIE TRYING: NO RETREAT.

The Expansion Planner completely ignores all of these rules, including the fact that it is not permitted to redesign my ships, and goes and builds some idiotic colony ship design that I didn't design and didn't permit to BE designed instead of MY colony ship, which makes that button completely useless, as the colony ship so designed will never reach its destination and is almost certainly guaranteed to wind up destroyed or lost in space, and sometimes, even costs more!

Additionally, NO MEANS NO. If I say NO DESIGNING, the AI should NEVER be allowed to create ANY ship that is NOT on the design list for ANY REASON, not even if it believes it is a life or death issue.
Post #: 1
RE: 1.0.3: Colony Ship Expansion Planner Issues - 4/14/2010 6:14:37 PM   
korenzel

Doesn't seem to happen with me. I also use custom designed colony ships with extra thrusters and some shields (low tech armor isn't worth much), and issuing colonization orders through the expansion planner builds the correct ships.

If I were to venture a guess, you found a colony ship sometime in your game and the design got saved, but does not appear in the 'Latest Designs'. In the design screen, change the filter to 'All non-obsolete designs' and check that only yours remain. Each time your find a ship its design is added there and has to be manually deleted/made obsolete. Since the found ship lacks critical components, it's cheaper, which is probably why the expansion planner is choosing it.

While AI auto design is off, I'd rather found designs, either through investigating ship or completely conquering another empire, were not added to the default designs, or be added as obsolete straight away. The new obsolete toggle at the end of the design line is useful, but I'd rather not have to do it at all

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.0.3: Colony Ship Expansion Planner Issues - 4/14/2010 6:16:12 PM   
Fishman

quote:

ORIGINAL: korenzel

If I were to venture a guess, you found a colony ship sometime in your game and the design got saved, but does not appear in the 'Latest Designs'. In the design screen, change the filter to 'All non-obsolete designs' and check that only yours remain. Each time your find a ship its design is added there and has to be manually deleted/made obsolete.
No, I know that trap. I regularly purge and obsolete the lists.

Honestly, found designs should be added to the list already marked "obsolete" so they are not built while you aren't looking. If for some bizarre reason the player wishes to keep them, he can manually un-obsolete them.

(in reply to korenzel)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.0.3: Colony Ship Expansion Planner Issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI