Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rodent cats?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Rodent cats? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 3:40:46 AM   
Arnir

It has probably been addressed somewhere and I have missed it, but why are the Zenox (an ancient feline race) in the rodent race family? Cats everywhere are rising up in horror.

Post #: 1
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 4:02:41 AM   
Sarissofoi

Yeah I was furius about it when I get this game.
Why you can ask?
This is long story but I make it short.
On first nobody knows what races would be in game.
Of course some cats lovers ask for feline race. Nothing big, something like:"it will be nice if there will be cats". But I say nothing big.
I was excited about this game and I will buy it anyway with cats or without them. Game was known as easly customizable and because of that there was no problem.
Second. There was info about races. Slowly race for race were known.
And surprise.
We have Zenox marked as FELINE race by some mods. Yeah marked as FELINE.
Yeah I think great. Nice minor addition. Also I thinked that there is easy way to add or modified new family of races. Great.
Then I buy game and check this.
Yeah.
Zenox as rodent. And they were clameid to be feline.
The first thing I think was:WTF is this?
Seriusly wtf.
There is some problem with buying things that you cant see or check by yourself. In game industry this is standard issue.
Seriusly if I buy something(boots for example) and I was informed that this boots are black and they arrived in pink color you know what?
Yeah, guess it.
Anyway that was precius lesson. Seriusly bugs or even broken design panel dont scratch me. Bugs and **** happen. But that was frycking lie.

Burn Matrix burn!

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 2
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 4:36:50 AM   
Sigh

wtf

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 3
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 4:42:24 AM   
Astorax

Heh, furries.

Anyways, thats probably easily modifiable once they open everything up. Heck, you may be able to change it right now for all I know. Its not a big deal.

(in reply to Sigh)
Post #: 4
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 4:58:07 AM   
Sarissofoi

Actually no.
You cant change name of family races.
And you cant change relations beetwen them.

< Message edited by Sarissofoi -- 4/26/2010 5:05:23 AM >

(in reply to Astorax)
Post #: 5
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 5:01:37 AM   
Fishman

I think maybe the easier answer is just to change the label, so that it denotes some kind of furry mammaloid instead of rodents, specifically.

< Message edited by Fishman -- 4/26/2010 5:02:00 AM >

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 6
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 5:08:11 AM   
Arnir

I'm wondering if they got lumped into rodents because there are no other feline family races?  Needed to lump them somewhere?  Just doesn't make sense from a story standpoint.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 7
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 7:11:29 AM   
astote

really? i mean really?
a) it doesn't matter
b) describing alien life in terms of Earth organism taxonomy, while perhaps convenient to quickly ascribing traits, is outright useless.

To an alien scientist, the difference between classifying a rodent and a cat would be unimportant.

Even on earth, these are titles of convenience that arbitrarily separate branches of the tree of life.

so essentially...

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 8
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 8:21:38 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arnir

I'm wondering if they got lumped into rodents because there are no other feline family races?  Needed to lump them somewhere?  Just doesn't make sense from a story standpoint.

They did. They need a family to have friends and enemies. Each family has three or four races.

Yeah, if you are a cat fanatic then you maight be bothered that the other rodents are your friends. It doesn't matter to me.

And yeah, they are all aliens. The "feline people" are not from earth. By their picture they could easily be squirrel people...or terrier dog people.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 4/26/2010 8:22:56 AM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 9
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 10:04:11 AM   
Fishman

I thought they looked like terrier-dog people, myself. They're not Earthlings. One of them is less closely related to a cat or terrier-dog than you are to a mushroom.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 10
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 10:05:37 AM   
taltamir

when a pappa mouse and a momma cat love each other very much... you end up with a Zenox...

seriously though, they are clearly a cat-mouse hybrid... ASIAN cat-mouse hybrids... they are by far the coolest race ever conceived.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 11
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 10:16:09 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

when a pappa mouse and a momma cat love each other very much... you end up with a Zenox...

seriously though, they are clearly a cat-mouse hybrid... ASIAN cat-mouse hybrids... they are by far the coolest race ever conceived.

Yep, like squirrels ...or maybe ferrets. I like squirrels and cats. heh. One hunt little moving things and one hunts nuts.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 4/26/2010 10:24:23 AM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 12
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 10:19:38 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

quote:

Yep, like squirrels ...or maybe ferrets. I like squirrels and cats. heh. One hunts anything little moving things and one hunts nuts.

oh sorry... I meant ever conceived by human imagination :P...

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 13
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 3:12:10 PM   
Shark7

Naturally this is part of the reason that some of us have been asking for the ability to define new alien families, for example:

Feline
Canine
Avian
Cybernetic
Robotic
Silicon based
Gas Bags (don't know the scientific term)
Parasitic or Symbiotic (like Star Gate)

anyway, you can see a nice list of what I would add if I had the ability to do so (and after finding out the correct terms for some of them ).

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 14
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 3:23:43 PM   
taltamir

technically it is impossible for an alien to be feline, canine, or avian.
because those merely describe membership in earth based families of species. Having wings and feathers does not make you an avian. Genetics has completely superseded appearance in the field of identifying and naming creatures decades ago.

Humanoid btw, distinctly implies that you are NOT related... humans are primates. Humanoid are non primates non earth creatures which kinda LOOK human but are completely unrelated.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 4/26/2010 3:24:21 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 15
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 3:56:25 PM   
Arnir

quote:

ORIGINAL: astote

really? i mean really?
a) it doesn't matter
b) describing alien life in terms of Earth organism taxonomy, while perhaps convenient to quickly ascribing traits, is outright useless.

Astote,
You may not care about sloppiness in this game, but I do. I can accept all the other concepts about taxonomy, etc, but this strikes me as poor workmanship. Many of the games like this have a prerequisite dog and cat race for whatever reason. I don't care if they do or not but if you are going to do it at least be CONSISTENT about it. If you are going to use Earth based concepts then use them in a manner that makes sense. Change the first line of the description to rodent instead of feline and then it is cool. This race thing may be WAD but it just rubs me the wrong way because it comes across as slipshod.

(in reply to astote)
Post #: 16
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 4:12:07 PM   
Shark7

quote:

because those merely describe membership in earth based families of species. Having wings and feathers does not make you an avian. Genetics has completely superseded appearance in the field of identifying and naming creatures decades ago.

Humanoid btw, distinctly implies that you are NOT related... humans are primates. Humanoid are non primates non earth creatures which kinda LOOK human but are completely unrelated.

Being that this is a science fiction game, I think trying to go too far into scientific fact is in fact counter productive...

Meaning, it doesn't matter....using the family types is a way to convey to your player a frame of mind when your player looks at the alien race...saying that the race is Feline, and being able to define feline with certain traits helps the player get an idea of how the species behaves.

When you think of a feline, most people automatically come up with the image of the domestic house cat...lazy, curious, at times aggressive at times mellow, independent and aloof. The family descriptors are therefor not for any scientific reason (since the chances of any alien sentient beings or fauna would likely develop in a way completely foreign to what we know), but rather setting a tone for the player so that they can imagine the alien species in terms they are familiar with.

We can imagine a lot, but many times fact is stranger than fiction...but in game terms, I prefer to describe my added in species in a way that allows players to visualize them in terms they understand, hence the reason I want to be able to add and describe new families.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 17
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 4:48:52 PM   
Arnir

Shark7,
Well said.  You hit the nail on the head about why we use those terms.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 18
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 5:22:48 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

Being that this is a science fiction game, I think trying to go too far into scientific fact is in fact counter productive...

Meaning, it doesn't matter....using the family types is a way to convey to your player a frame of mind when your player looks at the alien race...saying that the race is Feline, and being able to define feline with certain traits helps the player get an idea of how the species behaves.

When you think of a feline, most people automatically come up with the image of the domestic house cat...lazy, curious, at times aggressive at times mellow, independent and aloof. The family descriptors are therefor not for any scientific reason (since the chances of any alien sentient beings or fauna would likely develop in a way completely foreign to what we know), but rather setting a tone for the player so that they can imagine the alien species in terms they are familiar with.

We can imagine a lot, but many times fact is stranger than fiction...but in game terms, I prefer to describe my added in species in a way that allows players to visualize them in terms they understand, hence the reason I want to be able to add and describe new families.

All I am saying is that its felanoid or caninoid rather then feline or canine.
just like a humanoid alien is not an actual human, but human-like-in-appearance...

btw... hybrid creatures? even if an alien looks exactly like us, you will have greater chance of impregnating a potato than one of them. :P

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 19
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 7:43:18 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

quote:

All I am saying is that its felanoid or caninoid rather then feline or canine.
just like a humanoid alien is not an actual human, but human-like-in-appearance...

btw... hybrid creatures? even if an alien looks exactly like us, you will have greater chance of impregnating a potato than one of them. :P

Wow that came out of left field. Was that in response to me or what...didn't realize I'd even suggested such a thing.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 20
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 8:23:26 PM   
madpainter

TBH the point of the families is, IMO purely from a relational point of veiw.
the spider race is arachnid, not insect, but they have more in common with insects.
The cats have more in common with rodents so they come from that family.
Personally I can't wait until I can mod my own families and their relationships.
I can understand why they did it this way though.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 21
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/26/2010 11:55:59 PM   
taltamir

quote:

Wow that came out of left field. Was that in response to me or what...didn't realize I'd even suggested such a thing.

oh, I am not saying you were... just... while we are already on the subject...

quote:

ORIGINAL: madpainter

TBH the point of the families is, IMO purely from a relational point of veiw.
the spider race is arachnid, not insect, but they have more in common with insects.
The cats have more in common with rodents so they come from that family.
Personally I can't wait until I can mod my own families and their relationships.
I can understand why they did it this way though.

insectoid or arachnoid... aka, "insect like" or "spider like"...
they are not genetically related to earth insects or spiders...

I understand the point of them... but it isn't all that difficult to use the correct term, you just use whatever family you want and throw noid at the end. :P

< Message edited by taltamir -- 4/26/2010 11:57:38 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 22
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/27/2010 1:09:35 AM   
Sigh

The game is unplayable and crashes like mad and people are complaining about whether an alien race is feline or not

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 23
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/27/2010 1:16:15 AM   
madpainter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sigh

The game is unplayable and crashes like mad and people are complaining about whether an alien race is feline or not

It honestly doesn't crash like mad for me...Once in a 8 hr session while I'm retrofitting an entire universes ships maybe.
What version are you on?

And I say they are more ferrets then cat therefore Rodent(oid)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by madpainter -- 4/27/2010 1:29:43 AM >

(in reply to Sigh)
Post #: 24
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/27/2010 1:20:54 AM   
Astorax

I really like this game and, though I have some issues with some things, I'm not complaining really because I'm still playing 1.03. Haven't been back to my house lately to update to the beta patches, probably wait until 1.04 officially comes out. I have seen in the Tech section where there are some crashes and/or errors but I'm quite sure Elliot will fix them.

I still believe they are doing a great job for the amount of manpower they have and, really, to have created this game at all with just the two of them is an achievement of note. I'm enjoying it immensely and plan on continuing to enjoy it for some time.

Keep up the good work guys!

(in reply to madpainter)
Post #: 25
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/27/2010 1:30:58 AM   
Sigh

quote:

ORIGINAL: madpainter

quote:

It honestly doesn't crash like mad for me...Once in a 8 hr session while I'm retrofitting an entire universes ships maybe.
What version are you on?

And I say they are more ferrets then cat therefore Rodent(oid)

Uhm thats a crash... And its not supposed to happen. No matter what you do.

Anyways im not getting back into a discussion of whether the game is broken or not (already talked enough about it and im not changing my mind)

I just find it funny that this is considered more important by some then actual serious issues. Its like somebody complaining about the color of a car that has dysfunctional brakes and steering.

And no im not saying it should stop ^^ I just wanted to comment on the (in my opinion) silliness of it :P

(in reply to madpainter)
Post #: 26
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/27/2010 1:50:23 AM   
taltamir

who is complaining about the races or asking them to be changed / fixed?

I thought this was a casual humorous discussion about the race description, not a bug report

(in reply to Sigh)
Post #: 27
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/27/2010 1:54:52 AM   
Sigh

Maybe i think somebody is actually taking it serious (hard to tell when its only written ; )

But anyways i had to look up where that "you mad" thing comes from and looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooled when i watched the show.

So either way its worth it

< Message edited by Sigh -- 4/27/2010 1:55:05 AM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 28
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/27/2010 2:00:25 AM   
2ndACR

quote:

I have only a single crash in all my playing time. And that was with the 1st Beta patch IIRC. Not a single issue since. 1 and only 1 crash.

Cats mean nothing to me. Just another alien for me to crush.

(in reply to Sigh)
Post #: 29
RE: Rodent cats? - 4/27/2010 2:01:28 AM   
taltamir

cats are pure unadulterated evil just an FYI.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Rodent cats? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI