Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why do I have to manually repair found fleets?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/2/2010 11:33:55 PM   
Rustyallan

I have several construction ships sitting around doing nothing. I found a large fleet of damaged vessels and am having to manually select each one for repair. I tried sitting and seeing if my construction ships would repair any automatically, but that didn't happen and the AI's busy grabbing them.

It'd be really nice if I could queue these repairs, but have to manually select each one as soon as a CS is free.
Post #: 1
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 12:04:43 AM   
hewwo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rustyallan

It'd be really nice if I could queue these repairs, but have to manually select each one as soon as a CS is free.

+1

(in reply to Rustyallan)
Post #: 2
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 1:35:59 AM   
HsojVvad

That's a tuff one. Some people want their Constructions ships to be doing something else. The game is not a mind reader, so how will it know that you would want a derilict ship to be repaired or building a mine else where. I have no idea how this would be able to implement in the game. How would you tell your construction ship to repair something instead of building something?

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 3
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 2:05:56 AM   
Rustyallan

The thing is the ships sat there doing nothing with no job assigned and plenty of money/resources around.

I can see not wanting to automatically repair the fleet and have the player wonder why their expenses just shot up or why all their repair ships are gone.  (eaten by the horde of kantor's guarding the fleet) But finding a fleet of 20-30 ships and having to click each one to repair and then send the construction ship back to repair the next is a pain.  If I didn't want to scavenge them all for tech, I'd have just blown them all up.  I'll probably do just that from now on since it's such an annoyance.

This is where a construction/repair queue would be good.  At the very least, adding the ability to right-click and select "repair ship" to set a flag that the construction ships will check and one will go do so once it's available.  This would automate the tedious part of the process while still giving the control to the player.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 4
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 2:20:35 AM   
Jaimoe_MatrixForum

The ability to right click on the derelict ship and have an option to "send construction ship to repair" would be good.

(in reply to Rustyallan)
Post #: 5
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 2:36:01 AM   
Rustyallan

I'd like to be able to add repairing a derelict to a specific ship's queue at the very least.

(in reply to Jaimoe_MatrixForum)
Post #: 6
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 2:37:15 AM   
Nikolaj

I'm just getting into the game, but I've also been wondering why it isn't possible to queue orders. I'm no programmer, but I'm thinking that it would be rather simple to implement a queue system, where holding down the shift key (for instance) while giving an order, would add it to the queue an order rather than having it replace the current order.

Post #: 7
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 2:45:03 AM   
Rustyallan

You can queue orders with a right-click for many things, but not for repairing derelicts.

Select the construction ship and right-click on a planet or point in space, then select queue next mission.  The same works for military vessels and exploration craft.  Some things got mist as a queueable item though.  And derelict fleets are a pain even if that was added on a single-ship basis since there's up to 30 derelicts to repair.  You want several vessels doing that, not just one.

(in reply to Nikolaj)
Post #: 8
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 3:03:36 AM   
Nikolaj

Ah, ok. I don't remember what kind of order I was trying to queue, but I assumed that if it didn't work in that instance, then in probably didn't work at all. Thanks for the info.

It's still weird, though, that it doesn't work with repairing. Even though it'd take a long time for one constructor to repair 30 ships, I rarely have 30 constructors to spare. :)

(in reply to Rustyallan)
Post #: 9
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 3:17:45 AM   
Rustyallan

Build lots of constructors.  Enough so that you usually have a couple sitting with nothing to do.  It really helps the economy fly.  I reached the point where I have enough constructors, and enough industry in place that if I find a fleet, I start cycling through and manually assigning a constructor per ship and they can finish that new gas mine later.
That or I just blow up all the ships.

(in reply to Nikolaj)
Post #: 10
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 4:04:21 AM   
Jaimoe_MatrixForum

Blowing them up is always an option. I had to do that to a planet destroyer in the game I'm playing now because my neighbor's construction ship got to it a couple of minutes before my own did. If I can't have it, nobody can!

(in reply to Rustyallan)
Post #: 11
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 8:24:02 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaimoe

Blowing them up is always an option. I had to do that to a planet destroyer in the game I'm playing now because my neighbor's construction ship got to it a couple of minutes before my own did. If I can't have it, nobody can!

When I see a planet destroyer I immediately conquer that system (if there are no habitable planets there, I build a gas mining station on a gas giant and a bunch of bases)... destroy anything building it, finis building it myself....

and then retire it at the nearest shipyard... It will max out one tech field at random :)

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

Post #: 12
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 8:39:00 AM   
Fishman

Actually, an interesting thing occurs if you try to repair a world destroyer with the most gimpy construction ship possible: It takes forever, and since you get a tech bonus WHILE you're doing it, you can drag it out for ages and get lots of NORMAL research.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 13
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 8:45:02 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishman

Actually, an interesting thing occurs if you try to repair a world destroyer with the most gimpy construction ship possible: It takes forever, and since you get a tech bonus WHILE you're doing it, you can drag it out for ages and get lots of NORMAL research.

certainly... double up on the two... get the most out of the research bonus... and when it finally finishes... THEN take it apart for the extra bonus... (plus, its not like I want to destroy planets, I want to conquer them)

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 14
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 8:16:56 PM   
DasTactic

Could non-automated Construction Ships be set to auto-repair if they find repairable ships in the same system? Military sent to an enemy system will then assign themselves targets even through they aren't set as 'automated' so perhaps Construction ships could have similar programming for repairs. 

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 15
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/3/2010 8:29:39 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Das123

Could non-automated Construction Ships be set to auto-repair if they find repairable ships in the same system? Military sent to an enemy system will then assign themselves targets even through they aren't set as 'automated' so perhaps Construction ships could have similar programming for repairs. 

they do it already, its just not very high on their priority list

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 16
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/4/2010 1:17:35 AM   
JosEPhII

Tangent question to this thread, After you Repair the Planet Destroyer does your game then begin to have random freezes?

My current 1.0.4.4 game is doing this. And I really wanted to use this PD for use against a belligerent AI (Ikkuro). Not to destroy his planets but to carve up his fleets so that my transports could take some juicy planets. But it freezes up after several days game time. If I save often I can advance the game but it's a recurring problem and I'm about done with putting up with it.

I don't see a problem with constructors repairing derelict ships one at a time. This allows the AI a chance to grab some too. Unless of course you form a fleet out of the 1st several repaired ships and have them guard the constructor. Then you can keep the AI at bay. So what if he gets po'ed at you blow up his constructors and the fleet will be all yours. ;)

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 17
RE: Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? - 5/4/2010 1:35:45 AM   
Rustyallan

Repairing derelicts one at a time is fine.  Just let me queue them so I don't have to babysit and micromanage the process.    There are other things I need to be watching over in my empire.

As for the freezes, it seems there are some issues with 1.0.4.4 causing freezes at various points that are fixed for the final version which is due out later this week.  We'll see then if it's really fixed.  I actually just managed to capture a planet from another race and didn't totally freeze.  It did cough and splutter a bit during the process though.

The only time I managed to repair a world destroyer, I scrapped it for the tech.  Of course, the tech it gave me was in the field I'd already maxed...

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Why do I have to manually repair found fleets? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI