Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

a message to anyone man of good will

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> a message to anyone man of good will Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
a message to anyone man of good will - 7/30/2002 6:16:32 PM   
mau

1 about sist violations

how is possible that oob files can be corrupted during e-mail playng?how can i do?(in the terms,is it possible?and is sure that when this msg appears on the screen,then someone has tried to bribe?:confused:

2 about patch

where can i get upgrade from 6 to 7 ver,?

3 about new players,allways looking for

my e-mail address is [email]maurizio.guerri@libero.it[/email]. I play with russian army, not after 45[U]maurizio.guerrilibero.it[/U] :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :
Post #: 1
- 7/30/2002 8:04:05 PM   
Belisarius

1) Not a scientifc answer, but IME the OOB violation warnings pop up every now and then in the midst of a PBEM game. I ignore them. :cool:

2) Tankhead has some files fer ya at his[URL=http://www.tankhead.ca/SPWaW/downloads.html]SPWAW resource site![/URL]

Got StuG?

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 2
- 7/30/2002 10:59:53 PM   
Bing

Ignore the "security violation" warning for PBEM - all you have to do is start a generated battle, you don't have to change anything. Just start a generated battle and you may - as I do - get a "violation" on every turn. No OOB corruption, everything fine and as it should be with the game.

So much was done to the PBEM routine is is close to unplayable in some aspects. For instance, it is quite possible the second player will not see his artillery in action - the so-called "VCR playback" is useless in this respect.

Takes a lot of the fun out of play, for me it does. I start to lose interest. The entire idea of mortars onboard is that fire is available NOW, not a week from now. Show me an experienced mortar man, up to 82mm size, that could not have set up and been in action within seconds - literally seconds - if the crew wasn't capable they would have been replaced.

But no, in WAW not even direct targeting works in PBEM. A farce.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 3
- 7/30/2002 11:54:06 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bing
[B]But no, in WAW not even direct targeting works in PBEM. A farce.

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

:confused: :confused: :confused:

What? I have popped tanks using mortars in a direct fire role in PBEM.

Got StuG?

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 4
- 7/31/2002 2:32:08 PM   
VikingNo2

Try the german 8cm, in direct fire role it will take out, many things, and the 105 SP allied arty, is quite dangerous to anything it meets

My two cents:rolleyes:

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 5
- 7/31/2002 2:45:42 PM   
Hades

Ill vouch for the 8cm. Just ask Kaako.

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 6
- 7/31/2002 8:32:31 PM   
bchapman

MAU,
You can get the upgrade patch for 6.1 to 7.1 from Matrix:
[URL]http://www.matrixgames.com/insidemg/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=2[/URL]
If this doesn't work, send me an email, maybe we can work something out :)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 7
- 7/31/2002 10:31:34 PM   
Supervisor

I can vouch for Bing's complaints about PBEM as he and I have been going at it for some time now in PBEM's. One of our biggest complaints is the control of atrillery either onboard or offboard, the biggest issue is the inability to view artillery strikes for player 2 either during the his own turn or during the replay of the opponenets turn even though his opponenet is seeing the artillery he can't on replays for some reason. No matter what we do as far as modifiying FO's or experience etc's can we get it to work properly. It's very hard to rely on your artillery if you can't see what kind of damage it is doing and or be able to shift it properly to get the most bang for the buck.

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 8
On artil replay - 7/31/2002 11:05:20 PM   
chief

Just a quick thought and probably out in left field, but unless you have some one in visual range of your art hits you would not see them in the real world so why should you see same in spwaw ????Has anyone tested this as valid ????
JUST A THOUGHT:confused: :confused: :( :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 9
- 7/31/2002 11:11:26 PM   
Belisarius

IMO, arty moves alot of earth, so even if the strike is not in LOS, you should be able to see where it lands.

Although, the listing of casualties is a bit god-like. You can't possibly be able to make out 1 singe casualty in an 150 mm barrage. :cool:

Got StuG?

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 10
- 7/31/2002 11:39:19 PM   
chief

Belisarius: What got me started on this question was what was being discussed here of course. I was also playing a canned scenario where I was out of visual sight and pounded a target (inf), no reports of casualities, originally 8 troops, after closing target with troops only 4 remained (therefore assuming a cas count of 4). At another location had LOS, all casualties and damge reported. Conclusion: LOS you gets answers, NO LOS no answers. Leading me back to my original post (question).:) :) :confused: :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 11
- 8/1/2002 5:19:39 AM   
rbrunsman

I don't want to speak for Bing, but... I think he meant that when you have a mortar plot its own indirect fire, you don't get a quick response time in PBEM (i.e. .1 or .2 delay) which is what his initial complaint was about. I don't think he meant you cannot direct fire with mortars because we all know you can do that.

And, I'm with Chief on this one. There is no reason you should see the results of your arty (although it is not so good that your opponent gets to see the results).

I'm glad for this discussion though, because I thought I was crazy because I knew I was missing some arty fire in one game. I just didn't figure out that it was only when you are Player 2 that you don't see the arty.

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 12
- 8/1/2002 5:25:56 AM   
VikingNo2

I think the US is the only one that can self plot with the results you want

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 13
- 8/1/2002 5:26:25 AM   
chief

Tank U rb, maybe this old man is right this time. By the way if Viking is on line I'm very close to getting ready.:D :D :) :cool:

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 14
- 8/1/2002 5:35:38 AM   
VikingNo2

Lets get readyyyyy to rummmbellllllll:D :rolleyes: :p

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 15
- 8/1/2002 6:31:37 AM   
rbrunsman

As long as this thread has wandered off course, VikingNo2, this Market Garden scenario is HUGE! It may take me a day or two for it all to sink in and to sort out what I want all my troops to do.

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 16
- 8/1/2002 6:47:21 AM   
VikingNo2

Fried my brain, so I went with my gut and sent it, take your time

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 17
- 8/1/2002 9:25:43 AM   
Major Destruction

If player 1 plays with Fast Artillery set to ON, then player 2 will not be able to view the artillery strikes on the replay.
Switch fast artillery to OFF for PBEM.

IMO setting Fast Artillery ON in pbem battle is akin to cheating.

Also, play with the two delay settings. The default settings should be reversed. This will allow you to better see the onscreen messaging.

As for medium mortar indirect fire, sure a good mortar team can set up quickly but they need time to receive the coordinates for the target, to set up their ammunition and so on. Most medium mortar fire can be ready for the first bombardment within one game turn or 3-5 minutes and can be adjusted to be ontarget for another stonk every turn.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 18
- 8/2/2002 12:04:57 AM   
rbrunsman

Major D, that's an interesting point.

VikingNo2 do you play with Fast Arty on? It was our last game that I couldn't see the arty fall.

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 19
- 8/2/2002 12:58:46 AM   
Major Destruction

My apologies in advance in case I cause any discomfort with that remark. I did not wish to make any accusations. :o
Several of my pbem opponents have voiced the opinion that they will not play against someone who uses Fast Arty ON.
I agree with them. The use of Fast Arty ON and the consequent denial of information about the fall of your and his artillery can be seen as a tactic of questionable intent.:(

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 20
- 8/2/2002 12:58:48 AM   
VikingNo2

I don't really know but I will make sure I turn it off from now on, as you know I don't watch the VCR replay, I try to figure it out:D

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 21
- 8/2/2002 1:07:02 AM   
VikingNo2

Major D

Don't worry about it 'A';)

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 22
- 8/2/2002 2:37:20 AM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Major Destruction
[B]If player 1 plays with Fast Artillery set to ON, then player 2 will not be able to view the artillery strikes on the replay.
Switch fast artillery to OFF for PBEM.

IMO setting Fast Artillery ON in pbem battle is akin to cheating.
[/B][/QUOTE]

You just answered my question of the year M.D.! I always figured it was a VCR glitch that caused that. If it was common knowledge I must have missed the memo.

I've discussed this with several, regular PBEM opponents and we never could figure it out. And since we always use the same passwords (so we can check out the map afterwards) I know it wasn't intentional...if we wished to sink to cheating it would be alot easier than that ;)

As for the arty delay 'issue'...does it suck? Yes. But every answer, from worthy sources, says its hardwired and can't be fixed. All I can say is 'come on CL!'

Jim NSB

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 23
- 8/2/2002 3:02:53 AM   
Supervisor

It appears my and Bings problems have been multi folded we had fast art off, but after deleting the steel.prf file and then resetting it to off again along with a little slower messages settings seems to have cured the problem for now.

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 24
- 8/2/2002 12:47:37 PM   
rbrunsman

VikingNo2, I saw your arty this time! Nice plotting. Now if I could just get the game to stop crashing every time I shoot one particular MG. :mad: :mad: -- Never had this problem so bad before.

(in reply to mau)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> a message to anyone man of good will Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI