Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/5/2010 4:29:27 PM   
FDRLincoln

I take the powerful sleep aid Ambien to help me sleep. It can have unusual side effects...some people report sleepwalking or even sleepdriving on it. Tiger Woods and his girlfriends talk about other things you can do with it.

A couple of nights ago, it was 3 am, I couldn't sleep, so I took an ambien. At 4 am, I still couldn't sleep. The ambien did not seem to be working. So i decided to get up and play some AE.

About 5 am, I was asleep in my bed. I don't remember going from my computer to bed.

Last night I opened up my AE game and discovered that I had played about three turns more than I remembered...the last turn I remembered was February 21, 1942....but now it was February 27th. Lexington and Saratoga were just south of Port Moresby, trying to fend off an invasion fleet. Last I remember, they were patrolling off Rockhampton. The entire Dutch navy was sunk...apparently sent to the bottom by Japanese cruisers. Last I remember, they were refuelling at Batavia. Java is about to be invaded.

Infantry regiments are unloading at Suva and Noumea....last I remember, they were several days away.

I HAVE NO MEMORY OF ANY OF THIS!!

Don't play AE while taking Ambien! :)

Fear God and Dread Nought
Post #: 1
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/5/2010 6:06:19 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

similar effects can be had using alchohol

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to FDRLincoln)
Post #: 2
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/5/2010 6:06:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Wait....I don't buy the Lawrence, KS thing. You are Patrick Kenndey right?

(in reply to FDRLincoln)
Post #: 3
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/5/2010 6:20:44 PM   
topeverest

Does that mean that I can try to explain away my own battlefield blunders?

Cool! When I lose, it defeinately is the game not executing my orders correctly!

Andy M

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 4
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/7/2010 1:18:23 AM   
Rankorian

Happens to me with alcohol. Actually, my problem is that it is 4-5-6 am, and I am sleeping in my chair. It is starting to give me swollen feet. But, by goodness, every TF, base, and unit is being checked before I finish the turn! And I can read my notes, even if I do not remember writing them!

Ambien is not that "powerful" (I am a physician)

This would be a more interesting story if you reported someone (or some animal) you did not know in bed with you, or were in Los Vegas, naked with your face on a marble floor.

But maybe you were not giving us the whole story?

Number one principle: The inherent worth and dignity of all people.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 5
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/7/2010 3:44:12 AM   
John 3rd

I will NEVER admit to animals in my bed!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Rankorian)
Post #: 6
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/7/2010 3:51:59 AM   
thegreatwent

My old Port Ellen seemed to have this effect. Fortunately the distillery has been knocked down so I feel the opportunity to sample it will happen less often.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 7
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/7/2010 5:00:52 AM   
DrewMatrix

I saw "taking Ambien" in the title and just assumed Ambien was some port in the DEI I had overlooked.

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 8
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/7/2010 10:49:33 AM   
rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

My wife says I am like an animal in bed.....I hibernate all winter.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 9
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/8/2010 12:10:20 AM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rankorian

Happens to me with alcohol. Actually, my problem is that it is 4-5-6 am, and I am sleeping in my chair. It is starting to give me swollen feet. But, by goodness, every TF, base, and unit is being checked before I finish the turn! And I can read my notes, even if I do not remember writing them!

Ambien is not that "powerful" (I am a physician)

This would be a more interesting story if you reported someone (or some animal) you did not know in bed with you, or were in Los Vegas, naked with your face on a marble floor.

a few years ago my wife was out of town, but my sister and brother in law were visiting. we had a party...drank some margaritas...went to bed, woke up middle of the night and noticed that my dog didn't seem to have any hair...well, it wasn't my dog, it was my brother in law, who was taking ambien (i think) and got up to go to restroom, got lost and crawled into my bed...not pretty.

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Rankorian)
Post #: 10
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/8/2010 12:50:37 AM   
Rankorian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

quote:

well, it wasn't my dog, it was my brother in law, who was taking ambien (i think) and got up to go to restroom, got lost and crawled into my bed...not pretty.

Rankorian

I take it back. I am not sure I want the whole story.

On a (semi) serious note. One thing I like about turn-based games is that if I fall asleep (I am a late-night gamer) nothing further occurs in the game. And, per the OP, if you are a person of habit, and saved each turn, one can go back to the earliest remembered save. Or, be happy where you arrived at--but the problem in this game is that you may have made operational plans which you can no longer recall.

But, children out there, I do not find alcohol improves my foreign language skills or AE play. So don't drink and AE.

[In medicine we use the amnestic effect all the time: colonoscopies, angiograms. One is able to talk with the patient during the procedure, but they remember none of it later]

Number one principle: The inherent worth and dignity of all people.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 11
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/8/2010 5:38:09 AM   
rockmedic109

quote:

quote:

quote:

well, it wasn't my dog, it was my brother in law, who was taking ambien (i think) and got up to go to restroom, got lost and crawled into my bed...not pretty.

Rankorian

On a (semi) serious note. One thing I like about turn-based games is that if I fall asleep (I am a late-night gamer) nothing further occurs in the game. And, per the OP, if you are a person of habit, and saved each turn, one can go back to the earliest remembered save. Or, be happy where you arrived at--but the problem in this game is that you may have made operational plans which you can no longer recall.

But, children out there, I do not find alcohol improves my foreign language skills or AE play. So don't drink and AE.

[In medicine we use the amnestic effect all the time: colonoscopies, angiograms. One is able to talk with the patient during the procedure, but they remember none of it later]

Don't be stingy with the versed during colonoscopies. I've had three and I remember far too much of two of them.

I am starting to think that playing AE without caffeine is a bad thing. Leaves me with a headache. I am hoping it is just loosing a significant number of troops to a sub attack and not withdrawals from caffeine. If it is withdrawals then I will have to never give up AE because I couldn't handle the withdrawals from it!

(in reply to Rankorian)
Post #: 12
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/9/2010 1:22:00 AM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

My wife says I am like an animal in bed.....I hibernate all winter.

Mine says the same thing.. and that I make rude noises to boot!

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 13
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/9/2010 1:24:29 AM   
RevRick

quote:

quote:

quote:

Rankorian

I know, some of that medicine has been used on me. The only one it didn't work on was an IDET procedure. I remember every second of that thing!!!! My late night gaming is restricted to 1AM. After that, I may as well stay awake all night, with some really alarming effects the next day!

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Rankorian)
Post #: 14
RE: WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien - 6/9/2010 12:09:11 PM   
morganbj

A good way to avoid staying up all night is to install AE on your computer at work. Then you can play all day, too.

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WARNING: Do Not Play AE While Taking Ambien Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI