Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Setting up a huge war

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Setting up a huge war Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Setting up a huge war - 11/10/2010 6:41:43 PM   
Merker

Does anyone know how to set up a map with two giant rival empires, like 300+ colonies each one with 1000+ warships and stuff for each opponent?

I would really like to see such a scenario unfold, and see how large scale battles are staged by the AI. I imagine the large number of ships would give the AI the incentive to organize heavy assaults, and the enormous economic potential would stimulate it to build lots of fortresses around the major colonies.

Has anyone ever witnessed/tried to create such a scenario?

The biggest AI empire I've seen had about 200 colonies, race of Teekan dudes, but they had a junky and low tech military and because they kept insulting everyone with their rare luxury resources and money multiple factions declared war at the same time and not much later they even had a civil war. 200 colonies were reduced to about ~60-70 in a matter of months, not to mention half the military changed sides in the civil war. That's sad actually, because they were spread across the galaxy....

PS: The leaders of the civil war were the humans of a one-colony empire they had not so long ago enslaved, imagine that...

Cheers

< Message edited by Merker -- 11/10/2010 6:44:59 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/12/2010 8:30:29 PM   
Merker

Bump. So I suppose no one is interested or has experienced something like this?

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 2
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/12/2010 8:56:01 PM   
Igard

I've never experienced this before, but it's a really interseting idea. Have you tried starting a game and setting your empire and another empire's age to mature or old?

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 3
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/12/2010 9:25:08 PM   
Merker

I currently don't have the possibility to play, so I can't check my theory. That's why I'm asking if someone else is willing to try it.

Waiting for a volunteer

Cheers

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 4
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/12/2010 10:25:06 PM   
Igard

Just did a quick test and it seems that old empires only start with approx. 40 colonies.  If you set the tech to advanced/highly advanced or simply adjust both empires habitation tech in the game editor, focus your efforts on colonising, it shouldn't take too long before you have 2 very large empires. Still, it might take some time to gather enough money for your military. Corruption and poor planet quality could hinder your money making process, so perhaps you should also set those accordingly on setting up the game.

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 5
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/13/2010 7:44:23 PM   
Merker

Hmm, well if I do build the empire to that size, the AI might not build it good enough for a war. That's why I wanted equal empires from the start. Besides, I notice AI empires have a tendency to go civil war quite soon in the game.

If you do manage to set up such a game, can you please let me know? I'd really love to see the AI handle such a large empire and war, but I can't play any time soon(RL issues galore)

Cheers

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 6
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/14/2010 1:32:33 AM   
Igard

I'd like to try this, but I don't think I've got the time either (I'm addicted to making Star trek ships for the game).

It could work I think although there's always a risk of the AI empire civil warring. I would play the game on one of the more peaceful settings with 2 empires that are inclined to get along well. Have good relations with your opponent and keep an eye on their expansion and military strength and see that you stick with them, so they never become unsettled by your wealth, size or military.

It won't be easy though and I'm not sure if it will be terribly good fun either to begin with.

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 7
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/16/2010 4:55:33 PM   
Aures

You could build up your own huge empire and then crank up that taxes and do other stuff to make people unhappy. Hopefully that will start a civil war and your empire will split in two.

Most of my Empires are too big

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 8
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/16/2010 5:05:04 PM   
Jeeves

quote:

Hopefully that will start a civil war and your empire will split in two

A sure fire way to lose most of your colonies is to adopt government form "Way of Darkness" when you were "Way of the Ancients"...

(in reply to Aures)
Post #: 9
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/16/2010 7:33:09 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeeves

quote:

Hopefully that will start a civil war and your empire will split in two

A sure fire way to lose most of your colonies is to adopt government form "Way of Darkness" when you were "Way of the Ancients"...

That's just WRONG in soooooo many ways Jeeves........ LOL!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 10
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/17/2010 7:01:15 AM   
DracoRedux

I believe the only way to do this would be to do it manually with the in game editor. It would certainly save you a lot of time. Just expand comparably to the rival empire. There are so many choices when it comes to the in-game editor for this type of scenario. You could make fleet staging areas and customize the distances between systems and colonies to your liking.

< Message edited by DracoRedux -- 11/17/2010 10:50:11 PM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 11
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/21/2010 8:44:25 PM   
Merker

Yo, been away for a week. So, anyone experiment with this? Doing it with the editor would take a while. Also, I want to see how the AI handles 1000 ships or so. Then again, the expansion seems to be well on its way, so I might just wait till then...

Cheers

(in reply to DracoRedux)
Post #: 12
RE: Setting up a huge war - 11/21/2010 11:19:31 PM   
Kadrush

The following set tend to give me some nice wars

-Huge Galaxy - 1400 stars (thanks 4gb memory)
2-Planet Quality - very high (for massive economic/fleet purposes)
3-Independent alien life - teeming (it helps to create huge, powerfull AI empires)
4-Expansion - exapnding
5-Agression - normal
6-Research speed - very slow
7-Space creatures - many
8-Pirates - many (adds flavor and helps to bump reputation by hunting them)
9-Independents can start new empires
10-75% all around winning conditions

Place yourself on deep core of a spiral galaxy and set each of the 19 alien empires. Start yourself as an expanding empire, place a few expanding empires nearby, a few expanding/mature empires at average distance and 2-4 old empires distant from you

Those old empires should be boskara (hive mind) or dayut (military dicatorship) and trust me, if any of them find a temple of darkness and change gov you lost the game, you simply cant win. There is nothing like a 300k military strenght boskara empire sending their fleet against you, remember ot gift them a lot.

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 13
RE: Setting up a huge war - 12/5/2010 8:49:14 PM   
Merker

Neat, thanks for the tip dude. I have avoided setting empire start other than beginning because I really like to see the AI expand on their own and see what they manage to create.

(in reply to Kadrush)
Post #: 14
RE: Setting up a huge war - 12/9/2010 4:21:34 PM   
Merker

So...does anyone have any pictures or videos related to something like this? I'd LOVE to see at least some hint at a huge battle.....

Cheers

(in reply to Merker)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Setting up a huge war Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI