Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comparing JTCS to others ... a newbie needs to know

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Comparing JTCS to others ... a newbie needs to know Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comparing JTCS to others ... a newbie needs to know - 9/10/2010 2:26:36 PM   
DaveyJJ

I am trying to find my own personal holy grail of tactical WW2 games. I know this doesn't exist, so maybe I should start with what I'm looking for. Tactical scale ... an infantry unit equals a standard infantry squad. Turn-based, not real-time. At least West Front and Med theatres, others as a bonus. Hex or area driven. Small engagements per scenarios ... a reinforced company at most?

Oh, and an editor. Something this geographer/fine artist/historian/programmer could use to paint some terrain and unit down and have a small engagement (a basic attack defense style scenario) done in less than an hour.

So, given those requirements, how does JTCS compare to something like WinSPWW2? Can someone post a few screen shots of the JTCS editor in action?

Thank you!
Post #: 1
RE: Comparing JTCS to others ... a newbie needs to know - 9/10/2010 8:42:11 PM   
wings7

Take it from me, you will love all the features in the (JTCS) Campaign Series!

(in reply to DaveyJJ)
Post #: 2
RE: Comparing JTCS to others ... a newbie needs to know - 9/10/2010 9:34:04 PM   
berto

If it's a game you want, JTCS is great. If you're a hard-core historical realism grognard, look elsewhere.

For another good game, consider HPS Squad Battles. A lower level of tactical detail, and another John Tiller design.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to DaveyJJ)
Post #: 3
RE: Comparing JTCS to others ... a newbie needs to know - 9/11/2010 3:24:44 PM   
countblue

I want to break a lance for our beloved game.
I cant find anything that compares to JTCS EF/WF/RS.
Neither from the game mechanics nor from the editor and the possibilities for long term game fun does anything beat this piece of software. After a "few" years of playing (10+) I still come back to playing it on a regular basis.

It takes some time to get the hang of the AIs reactions to your attempts in map and game design.
But once you find out how to implement your facts inside the borders of this game mechanics its a lot of fun.

BTW
Screenshots of the Game editor look almost the same than the game itself.

regards
Countblue

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 4
RE: Comparing JTCS to others ... a newbie needs to know - 9/12/2010 1:28:05 PM   
kool_kat

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

If it's a game you want, JTCS is great. If you're a hard-core historical realism grognard, look elsewhere.

I believe we are all refencing games here?

If you wish to play a "game" that has stood the test of time (12+ years on the market)... countless hours of enjoyment... fierce head-to-head competion... tactical scale with platoon size units... then look no farther then JTCS!

A cautionary word... the AI is pretty pathetic... so to get maximum enjoyment out of JTCS... I advise you to PBeM. Nothing beats playing against human opponents!

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Comparing JTCS to others ... a newbie needs to know Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI