Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Gamers Obsevations ---- From Russia with Love ...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> A Gamers Obsevations ---- From Russia with Love ... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Gamers Obsevations ---- From Russia with Love ... - 8/23/2010 1:49:15 AM   
Marshal_Zukov

I have been an avid wargamer since high school. I started playing the old Avalon Hill games like Stalingrad, Africa Korps, and Russian Campaign. As time went on I became
interested in bigger games such as Third Reich, The Longest Day, and Fire in the East/Scorched Earth. Then SSI started making computer games like War in Russia and Clash of
Steel and off course I played those as well. Now I was lucky to find Time of Wrath and have enjoyed playing against the computer and PBEM.

Having played ToW for over a year now I would like to share some observations:

1. The game simulates the war in Europe better than any computer game I have seen thus far. The integration of land, air, and naval combat coupled with the political (events)
system is awesome. Add to that the weather system, supply, and leaders and you have got a well thought out historical simulation. Also, the simple yet elegant diplomacy system

and the technology research puts the icing on the cake.

2. The overall game system is easy to learn and each game is unique do to the multiple options players have in how they want to handle the war. Some may choose to focus on
research early, while others may want to build up your forces quickly and strike fast early and worry about research a bit later. You may also want to try a more balanced approach
and build your forces and perform research at a moderate pace as the game progresses. The game fits any play style and the player has many options at his disposal.

3. The AI is an adequate opponent considering the complexity and scope of the game. However, the ultimate experience is to play the game against other human opponents. A
human opponent is much more challenging then the AI and makes for a more enjoyable simulation as you now must expect the unexpected.

Here are some ideas for ToW that I feel could make the game an even better simulation of the war in Europe:

A. Land, Air, Naval Combat
- expand the Combat Results to show the modifiers for the attacker and defender similar to siege combat
- reduce the chance of tactical bombers taking damage when attacking ground units (infantry had less AA defense then mechanized units)
- reduce the chance of tactical bombers being able to spot naval units at sea (seems like air units with a 6+ strength can spot and damage naval units >90% of the time)
- add an ability for tactical bombers to interdict enemy ground units and reduce their AP for one turn (instead of causing damage to their strength)
- the abilty of land based fighters to provide air cover for naval units in the adjacent sea zone
- raiders at sea seem to be spotted too frequently by naval units in regular mode

B. Political and Diplomatic Systems
- triggers for some event activation need to be re-examined (i.e. Italy's joining the Axis after Paris falls seems to be more logical then the capture of Lille or Mets)
- Spain entry level seems to drop without reason after being influenced by Axis nations (seems to drop 20 points per turn without Allied influence)

C. The AI and PBEM
- the AI needs to be improved to better handle forming a cohesive front line against opponents (Russia leaving large gaps in parts of the front line)
- the ability to see siege, convoy, and naval results needs to be given to each player in PBEM games (not just the first player of the turn)
- specific events pertaining to a given nation should be visible to that nation only in PBEM games (new troops added to force pool, etc.)
Post #: 1
RE: A Gamers Obsevations ---- From Russia with Love ... - 8/23/2010 4:30:25 AM   
NefariousKoel

Welcome to the forum!

(in reply to Marshal_Zukov)
Post #: 2
RE: A Gamers Obsevations ---- From Russia with Love ... - 8/23/2010 7:43:13 PM   
Patbgaming

I have a couple of observations too.

1. Should Air Units range be based on their actual Tech Level, not the researched level the country has reached ? Those tech level 1 fighters and Tac having an 18 range just seems off somehow.

2. Playing against the Russians ( AI ) sometime seems like a Tutorial game. When they have a defensive line 5 deep across most of southern Russia with the exception of the two ( 3 hex wide ) gaps, with the big sign " Insert Panzers Here". Maybe its just a trap.......

3. Some things about the game mechanics I don't find clearly spelled out. Naval Unit spotting for example. Now if I do something that gets me hosed up because I don't have a clue that it was a chancie move it can lower the overall enjoyment of the game. If you know its chancie and get hosed, well you knew the odds going in so it does not reduce the enjoyment level.

4. Last thing and I can not believe the Marshal missed this. Zhukov has 3 leadership and Monty has 6. I want to make sure I read the rules correctly. The higher number is better right ?

Thanks to all you guys for a GREAT Game !!!

(in reply to Marshal_Zukov)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> A Gamers Obsevations ---- From Russia with Love ... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI