Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WaW vers2T AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> WaW vers2T AAR Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WaW vers2T AAR - 4/11/2010 3:38:41 PM   
RufusTFirefly

In addition to the great posts of Cveta this is an AAR about our game of WaW version 2T. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2427651

It is not meant as a competition, who writes the most funniest comments. Cveta would win this price, thats for sure! (By the way: Thanks for your posts, Cveta. They are really fun to read. )

This should be a more serious report, to show the ongoing in a more brief and dry way with some screenshots added.
Participating in this game are

Cveta - Axis
RufusTFirefly - West
Barthheart - Russia, China
Tweber - Japan

Starting 6 days ago we are at turn 12 now. So we have already seen some action, and now China is coming in. Therefore time to start:

At turn 2 Warsaw had to surrender and the Axis achieved a quick win in the east. During the next turns Axis conquered parts of the Balkan. Hardly any news reached the west. Only some reports from Yugolsavian partisans were sent, providing no reliable information about strength and composition of the German divisions.

France and Britain were alarmed and began to build up their defences. France tried to keep the amount of units at Maginot line and in the area of Elsass-Lothringen at a high level. (Axis gets Blitz cards when amount of French PP near Maginot line falls below 750. From turn 2 onwards I managed to keep the amount of PP higher, but at turn 1 the amount was below the limit. So I dont know whether Axis got this card right at the beginning.)

At turn 9 Axis started the attck in the west. Netherlands and Belgium were overrun quickly and Axis units showed up at the border between Belgium and France.

Axis infantry supported by tanks moved quickly through the southeastern governments of France, while parachuters were dropped east and west of Paris. French HQ had to evacuate the capital. Units at Maginot line are cut off and might have to surrender next turn. Italy joined the Axis, but did not yet invade.

German level bombers launched an attack on the coastal fortifications at Manchester, but lost three planes in that action. (The German bombers would not have caused any damaged on the coastal defence anyway. The planes missed the target and bombed a manufacturer for stockings, who produced for a French label.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RufusTFirefly -- 4/11/2010 4:38:42 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/11/2010 4:17:07 PM   
RufusTFirefly

British admirality decided to send a fleet to Gibraltar. Southwest of Plymouth this fleet ran into a group of German subs. Although retreating at once and calling a sub and two destroyers for help, the fleet was surrounded by wolfpacks of 25 subs and sunk completely. 4 battleships, 1 carrier, 1 cruiser and 2 destroyers got lost. The sub and destroyers that came for help were sunk right after this desastrous battle.
I made three mistakes here. First I underestimated the amount of German subs. Second, I sent the fleet too late and gave Cveta time to build up a close net of subs in the Atlantic west of the British islands. Third, I sent the fleet without doing any recon first. I wanted to take a route far away from the Biscaya, leading the ships more north to the middle of the Atlantic. But this no save way at all.

Even at the Canadian coast German subs are operating and managed to sink a small destroyer patrol.

A black day for British navy:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RufusTFirefly)
Post #: 2
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/12/2010 11:34:02 AM   
cveta

Nice explanation of events. I would just add that Germany invade Greece and that Greece defence was organised in hills and that Germany pass thouse defences and surounded them. Screenshot will be posted as soon as I get the turn.

Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups

Post #: 3
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/14/2010 8:52:52 PM   
tweber

Turn sent on to RTF on Monday.  I am just organizing my forces.

(in reply to cveta)
Post #: 4
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/15/2010 3:32:11 PM   
Barthheart

Ok there's some kind of error in this scenario!

Just opened my second turn as China, Aug. 2, 1940, and Kunming has become Japanese territory wiping out all the units I had there!!!!

My guess is that it has something to do with the Allied supplies to China when Vichy established because I never got that message either.....

Game over for China......

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 5
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/15/2010 3:52:49 PM   
cveta

Oh. Sht. Will I ever play a scenario without bugs??? I am realy sorry for a loss of thouse Comunists. It will be a few less to kill for my JA frend. Bad luck but there is noting we can do now.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 6
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/15/2010 3:59:35 PM   
Barthheart

Ummm... yeah... it's more than bad luck.... might as well surrender to Japan now.....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to cveta)
Post #: 7
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/15/2010 4:14:58 PM   
tweber

One way to offset the issue would be for me to declare war on the US on the 4th or 5th turn after the offensive vs the 6th.  What do you think is fair?

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 8
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/15/2010 4:27:58 PM   
Barthheart

No idea of how to calculate if that is "fair" or not...

I just lost 1/4 of my entire production on my second turn... plus the free supplies from the US. I guess it would all depend on when you declared war.....

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 9
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/15/2010 4:31:53 PM   
explorer2

I found the error and I'm hugely embarrassed. When changing Hanoi I must have inadvertently clicked Kunming's slot to be the same area:slot as Hanoi. Unfortunately, once a game's in progress, nothing can be done to change this.

My suggestion would be for JA to not put any units there, allowing China to retake it with no penalty. Unfortunately, China can't get the lost units back. My best thought is JA voluntarily delete some of its units close to Kunming.
My humblest apologies to all for the error.

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 10
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/15/2010 4:49:20 PM   
Barthheart

Hey Explorer2, don't beat yourself up about it. Honset mistake and considering all the work you've put into this scenario not a big deal.

I don't like Japan deleting units and didn't expect him to build there... but haven't any ideas of my own so we'll go with Tom's suggestion.

So Japan declares war on US by the 4th turn after assaulting us poor Chinese instead 6th turn... is that Ok with all?

(in reply to explorer2)
Post #: 11
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/15/2010 11:53:27 PM   
cveta

I agree, but USA will wake now. I just invade England. So will that have any influence?

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 12
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/16/2010 12:36:49 AM   
Barthheart

(in reply to cveta)
Post #: 13
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/16/2010 12:57:53 AM   
tweber

Turn sent.  The German invasion should wake up NY and Washington.  When the Japanese attack, it wakes up some additional cities on the West Coast so an attack 2 turns early does help.  Biggest help is that it blunts the ammount of force that Japan can devote to China.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 14
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/16/2010 6:45:49 PM   
Barthheart

Turn to Germany.

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 15
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/16/2010 7:21:23 PM   
RufusTFirefly

Guess it is the worst game I did so far. Made some serious mistakes. Maybe Russia will have to defeat Axis without any support of the westren allies, as they might soon have to surrender.

Aug. 1940

German forces managed to capture most part of Scandianvia. Britain is unable to send any support for Norway. A bomb raid against German units at Stavanger failed completely. Four of five bombers got lost, while the enemy got no casulties. But RAF was successful to protect London from an enemy air raid. 15 enemy planes went down in flames while only three fighters were lost.

Due to the large number of German subs operating in the seas west of Britain, the main Royal Navy fleet was ordered to dock in Scapa Flow. As no invasion was expected the port was only secured by a coastal battery. Infantry was planned to be send as support. British High Command was shocked to realize that the German strength and offensive behaviour had been underestimated. On a surprise attack German units took the naval base. The coastal battery was blown, 6 battleships, 1 carrier, 2 cruisers and 2 destroyers were destroyed by the enemy. Therefore most of the British navy is lost now.

German Wehrmacht sent large groups of parachuters to England. Manchester is nearly encircled, British forces in Scotland and Yorkshire are cut from High Command.

Italien units have been spotted at Marsa Maruth. Army group Wavell is preparing to give them a special welcome in Egypt.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by RufusTFirefly -- 4/16/2010 8:31:24 PM >

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 16
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/16/2010 8:32:23 PM   
RufusTFirefly

In Greece the defenders were forced to retreat. Few survivors hold the last acres of free Greece.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 17
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/16/2010 11:46:26 PM   
cveta

No screenshot from me but only text explanation. Greece is secure. And Manchester is taken. But bombing run on Manchester was a disaster. 5 levelbombers went nd 1 return to base.
English Carier II ( new one, the pride of Royal nawy ) with some smaller ships tray tu run from our wolfpack. But they failed. And Italians run at the first sign of British.

Post #: 18
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/17/2010 12:08:35 AM   
tweber

Turn sent. 

Building up and waiting

(in reply to cveta)
Post #: 19
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/17/2010 11:34:36 PM   
cveta

I wonder how this thing with invading of England will end. So if there is a player wich alredy played this scenario and invade Engalnd please let him write his expiriance. How long it takes for him to take London after the initaial landing?. And how did game end, and how will USA invade France without suport from the England???

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 20
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/18/2010 5:51:51 AM   
LazyBoy

I played as the West when Britain was invaded, I had few troops and lost London quickly.
I countered it by placing an HQ in Northern Ireland and having troops in all the hexes, while I built up and reinvaded England.

The game did not finish.
Your game subs seem to be really powerful and may cause problems for your reinforcement, Iceland may be a base option.

(in reply to cveta)
Post #: 21
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/18/2010 2:00:04 PM   
RufusTFirefly

Sep 1940

Manchester has fallen. A new carrier and two destroyers that had been build in the docks of Manchester were ordered to set sail and try to escape to Canada. They took a route north of Iceland, but German subs seem to be everywhere. The British ships were spotted and attacked. No survivors.

Scotland has completely fallen to hand of the enemy. A small division at Yorkshire is still defending while more and more German units move towards London.

Australian navy spotted a Japanese sub south of Java. It seems as if Japan sends units for recon. South Pacific nations prepare for war.

< Message edited by RufusTFirefly -- 4/18/2010 2:01:15 PM >

(in reply to LazyBoy)
Post #: 22
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/21/2010 7:50:29 AM   
tweber

Who has the turn?

Post #: 23
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/21/2010 4:33:54 PM   
GrumpyMel

Wow, this sounds like a wild one. I always avoided Sea Lion as it struck me that the resources required to do it well would leave ground forces short for Barbarossa and production from Washington & NY more then makes up for the loss of UK production.
Will be interested to see how this one turns out though... sounds like the battle for the Atlantic is going to be intense.

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 24
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/24/2010 12:59:10 PM   
cveta

Yes this will be a wild one. If See lion is sucessful I belive it will cut the USA out of France for a long time. Without base in England or Iceland USA will have huge problems with transports of units and Supplays once they decide to interfere in Europe conflict. Also I have a huge adventage of subs now and USA must first win Atlantic battle to open a route to France. And my subs are munerous and with lots of expiriance. And I belive that if Japan plays well the USA will have huge problems there also. All in all after England is Cleared I may cooncentrate on SU.

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 25
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/29/2010 4:59:41 PM   
cveta

With this turn I prove that my ideas were right.  I send all my subs to USA and Canada  shores and raid USA and Canada cities. 14 DD II sinked for a loss of 3-4 subs. Now I hope to sink all that USA and Canada may produce same turn as it appear. This means that USA must build planes to stop me, and then ships. Thsi will leave USA and Canada ocupate for at least 3-5 turns. And once they sail out they still must win a see battle.
I didnot have enought strenght to take London, and I am constantly lossing air battles. But that is antaher story.

(in reply to cveta)
Post #: 26
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/29/2010 9:42:33 PM   
RufusTFirefly

Damned subs. They blow up my ships right as they slip from dock into water

More soldiers than citizens in London now.

(in reply to cveta)
Post #: 27
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/30/2010 9:52:40 PM   
cveta

Again I menage to sink all ships that West produce in USA and Canada cities. But mayor problem of my version of SEE Lion is a London. City is well defended. Hewy fortified and it inflict hewy loses on my planes wich tried to soft defence up. And it is a winter now, so I wonder will I be able to take the city before Spring? So I defently wote for a See Lion as must do in a WaW scenario. Any coments?

< Message edited by cveta -- 4/30/2010 9:53:14 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 4/30/2010 10:37:07 PM   
tweber

Turn sent. 

Sea Lion is tricky.  I think it is pretty hard if the West is able to evacuate a sufficient garrison from France.

(in reply to cveta)
Post #: 29
RE: WaW vers2T AAR - 5/1/2010 11:41:54 AM   
british exil

Cveta. The easiest way is to destroy more British troops in London than you lose. The more you destroy the easier you will have it.

In the end he will have none left.

No really I think London is a hard nut to crack. You'll have to use a fair amount of troops combained with Art, AA and air coverage.

The question is, will you have enough troops to hold on? as he will be producing reserves every turn, cannon fodder for sure but he'll still be killing some of your units too.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> WaW vers2T AAR Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI