Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Computer--WitPAE not working properly

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> New Computer--WitPAE not working properly Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Computer--WitPAE not working properly - 10/10/2010 8:36:00 PM   
johnjohn

Just upgraded to Alienware. Loaded WitPAE from disk--when loaded,the game took forever to run. When game selected to run, took even longer to change screens. Screens did not completely load, could not end game with software--had to use task manager. Upgraded to newest version. Same problems. New very fast computer and game is non-functional and VERY SLOW compared to Vista on laptop. Do not know what to do. Am not as computer literate as most of you, so non-tech explanations greatly appreciated.

I have read through 100s of forum threads here and have not found one with the same problem. Needless to say, I am quite disappointed.

Post #: 1
RE: New Computer--WitPAE not working properly - 10/11/2010 4:54:43 AM   
Capt. Harlock

Try pressing Control-Alt-Delete and then selecting "Task Manager". This will give you a window with several tabs, one of which will tell you how much memory is being used by the various apps. (And you will be amazed at how many apps are running in the background.) A second window (Performance) should tell you about CPU usage.

If you see any obvious memory or processor hogs you can look them up in the internet to see if they're really necessary. (It's surprising how many printer manufacturers are now loading huge suites to give you fancy printing and scanning options.)

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to johnjohn)
Post #: 2
RE: New Computer--WitPAE not working properly - 10/11/2010 10:49:12 AM   
n01487477

Capt. Harlock has some good points.

I see from your post history that you tried to get some support on the AE forum area ... unfortunately you posted in the witpstaff thread and didn't make a new thread.

MichealM and others would probably ask for some more machine specs particularly your Operating system, graphics card, memory etc and get you to do a dx diagnosis.

You can do this by Start->run type dxdiag and click ok. Then save this information (there is a button to do this on the bottom)

Then ask what switches you are using for the command line shortcut. I see you have no idea about this; basically make a shortcut to the executable, right click properties and you'll see like the picture.

Here you can add command line options ... something you can investigate in the what's new.pdf

So I say go back to the AE forum, make a new thread in the tech section, post your dxdiag and your problem and I'd hope they can resolve it for you.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 10/11/2010 10:55:25 AM >

(in reply to johnjohn)
Post #: 3
RE: New Computer--WitPAE not working properly - 10/11/2010 7:00:49 PM   
johnjohn

Thanks for the help. I was able to go to compatability mode, ie make it think the OS is Vista, but twice I got a screen error. UNABLE TO GET EXCLUSIVE CONTROL OF SCREEN. I am going to research that error and see what if anything I can do to alleviate it. What happens is that when I go to the senario screen, the background comes up, but the text does not. I get text by scrolling over the screen. When the map comes up the same thing happens. It is impossible to play the game with this error. Am still having to use the task manager to close the program.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> New Computer--WitPAE not working properly Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI