Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How annoying

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Tech Support >> How annoying Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How annoying - 11/14/2010 10:13:04 AM   
JudgeDredd

Downloaded and tried to extract but the .2 file is corrupt. Is there a way I can get the .2 file without having to download a 2.5GB file from a very slow location?

Alba gu' brath
Post #: 1
RE: How annoying - 11/14/2010 3:24:16 PM   
JudgeDredd

So no reply, I downloaded again. This time all the files in the archive are extracted, but when I run the setup exe (as administrator) it extracts 393, 394, 310 and then failes at HarpoonCommandersEdition-v200905.

I'd suggest (perhaps) that there's something wrong with the extract file as the archive came down fine second time and extracted fine second time...??

Are there any ideas out there at all? No?

Ok - I'll pre-empt your suggestion to download 3GB for the 3rd time.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: How annoying - 11/14/2010 3:27:27 PM   
JudgeDredd

Brilliant. 69KB/s

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: How annoying - 11/14/2010 5:06:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Judge,

Your first post was at 5AM on a Sunday morning here, so not much chance of a reply.

I can confirm the archive on the store is fine, so this must be corruption while in transit. There's no question this is a huge download, which makes corruption more likely. I'm surprised that it still unzipped fine though. Normally, it would not unzip if corrupted in transit. Are you unzipping it to a hard drive that you've run an error check on lately? It's also possible the corruption is happening locally during the decompression and installation process.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: How annoying - 11/14/2010 7:43:55 PM   
JudgeDredd

Yeah - I know. Sorry. I was more showing my displeasure at the download failing really.

I tried to download again, but it was sub 60KB/s - so I think I'll wait and leave it overnight. I was also surprised that the extract file extracted fine whilst their was a problem with one of the files. This signifies the download was fine and unbroken and that either there was a problem with the file in the archive specifically (which you have already proved not to be the case - and the fact no-one else has reported it would back that up) or there is a problem when creating the temporary files on the C drive.

Nothing wrong with my drives. They're checked every Saturday at 6am, just prior to performing system backup, backup to external drive and defragmentation

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: How annoying - 11/14/2010 9:14:02 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
This signifies the download was fine and unbroken and that either there was a problem with the file in the archive specifically (which you have already proved not to be the case - and the fact no-one else has reported it would back that up) or there is a problem when creating the temporary files on the C drive.

It's just an idea, but temporarily disabling your virus checker during the temp file creation process might be something to try

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: How annoying - 11/14/2010 9:53:14 PM   
JudgeDredd

Will do Eddy. Thanks

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 7
RE: How annoying - 11/15/2010 6:53:53 AM   
JudgeDredd

mmm...third time downloading and a corrupt .2 and .exe file.

Here goes my 4th. I wonder how many times FindMyOrder is going to allow this.

At least I'm getting 450KB/s this time.

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 11/15/2010 7:05:11 AM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: How annoying - 11/15/2010 1:52:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

Judge,

Are you clearing out your temp files and rebooting in between these downloads? I'm concerned that you may be ending up with the same file each time if you're seeing the same corruption. I'm sorry for the inconvenience - downloads are proceeding normally otherwise.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: How annoying - 11/15/2010 2:04:24 PM   
JudgeDredd

If you mean clearing out the c:\Matrix Games\Harpoon folder where the files are uncompressed to, then yes.

But it's not the same files Erik. The first time, I had a corrupt .2 file when trying to uncompress the files. The second time, I had a bad HarpoonCommandersEdition-v200905.exe file, even though the files extracted fine from the archive file. The 3rd time, I had a bad .2 file and a bad main setup exe file

3 different problems with 3 different downloads.

I'll clear my temp folders tonight when I get home before I uncompress and then reboot. The 4th download should've finished by then.

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 10
RE: How annoying - 11/15/2010 7:19:57 PM   
JudgeDredd

ok - add the .4 file this time.

I can't help but think there's an issue with your download - as in connection. Have you actually physically tried to download it and it worked? This is the 4th time I've tried.

You KNOW how many games I buy Erik, and most are digital download. I've NEVER had a problem like this and whilst I've had a very occasional issue with a download, the second try to download resolves it...but those issues have been few and far between.

There's clearly nothing wrong with the files inside the archive as these are different errors each time...but 4 times downloading?

Attachment (1)

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: How annoying - 11/15/2010 9:38:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

I'll clear my temp folders tonight when I get home before I uncompress and then reboot. The 4th download should've finished by then.

I meant the temp folder for downloads actually. You can clear these out via your browser and also through some third party software. It can help make sure you're not reusing older temp files.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 12
RE: How annoying - 11/15/2010 9:39:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ok - add the .4 file this time.
I can't help but think there's an issue with your download - as in connection. Have you actually physically tried to download it and it worked? This is the 4th time I've tried.
You KNOW how many games I buy Erik, and most are digital download. I've NEVER had a problem like this and whilst I've had a very occasional issue with a download, the second try to download resolves it...but those issues have been few and far between.
There's clearly nothing wrong with the files inside the archive as these are different errors each time...but 4 times downloading?

Have you ever downloaded something this large before? If there's an issue with the connection between us, it may become more likely with very large downloads. Give it one more try after cleaning out temporary files and a reboot and this time try a single stream download manager like www.stardownloader.com. If that doesn't work, e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com please and we'll sort it out.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 13
RE: How annoying - 11/15/2010 9:44:43 PM   
JudgeDredd

Yes I have Erik. Most games I purchase now are way about 3GB and recently one was as large as 14GB...I genuinely never had a problem. That isn't to say I can't have a problem...but 4 times on the trot with the same file from the same source?? Seems suspect to me tbh.

I'll download overnight...seems Digital River must sell quite a bit of stuff in the US because their server is mightily slow in the evening in the Uk.

I'll let you know.

What I have done (and I wished I had thought about it before) was I've kept the extracted files in a seperate folder - the ones which were not corrupt. I almost have a full set :-) Course, I don't know if that would work...no reason why not as they are all the same pieces of the same jigsaw.

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 14
RE: How annoying - 11/15/2010 9:54:29 PM   
JudgeDredd

Erik

I don't know how to get StarDownloader to download the file from the HTTP link provided by digital river. When I click on the HTTP Download button, Starloader, pops up and when I click Start, it says it's finished and it's 0bytes...and because I don't actually know the address of the downloadable file, I can't enter it...so I'll have to just try downloading as normal

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: How annoying - 11/15/2010 11:58:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Judge,

If you set it to single stream it should work by just clicking on the download link. I last tried it a year ago though, so it's possible they've changed something.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 16
RE: How annoying - 11/16/2010 6:49:57 AM   
JudgeDredd

Erik

5th try and this

Attachment (1)

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 17
RE: How annoying - 11/16/2010 7:47:44 AM   
cuthbo2001

Just a thought are you using explorer as your web browser? I had a similar problem downoading another game from Thirdwire.It turned out that when I switched from firefox to explorer it solved the problem

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
RE: How annoying - 11/16/2010 8:21:48 AM   
jomni

Do you use a download manager?
I suggest you start using one if you aren't.
It makes things a bit faster and more reliable.

(in reply to cuthbo2001)
Post #: 19
RE: How annoying - 11/16/2010 8:24:23 AM   
JudgeDredd

Cuthbo - using Internet Explorer

Jomni - might look into it.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 20
RE: How annoying - 11/16/2010 8:31:21 AM   
JudgeDredd

Erik - email sent

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 21
RE: How annoying - 11/16/2010 1:09:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

Received, working on it.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 22
RE: How annoying - 11/16/2010 1:10:20 PM   
JudgeDredd

Thank you

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 23
RE: How annoying - 11/17/2010 8:24:59 PM   
JudgeDredd

Any progress with this Erik? I still can't download due to excessive download attempts.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 24
RE: How annoying - 11/17/2010 10:21:56 PM   
roeddog

Doubtful, Judge, but any chance it might be winRAR with just these files; where a different program like 7zip or winzip might work?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 25
RE: How annoying - 11/17/2010 11:07:27 PM   
JudgeDredd

Nope. Don't think so roeddog.

As it happens I think I've identified a RAM fault in my system. One of the 2GB sticks was showing alot of errors. It'll be heading back to Kingston in the morning. This is the probable cause as the compressed file will be uncompressed in memory in transit to the HD.

I've ordered another 2x2GB of RAM so my system will be functioning properly again - unfortunately I still cannot download the archive (I've taken the faulty stick out) until Erik does his magic stuff with his magic wand.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to roeddog)
Post #: 26
RE: How annoying - 11/17/2010 11:31:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

Sorry Judge, I asked someone else here to get back to you by today with a new download link. We had to set it up via our site since it wasn't working for you via DR, so there didn't seem to be a point to resetting the downloads. Anyway, if that didn't happen I will make sure you get a link tomorrow morning. Hang in there.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 27
RE: How annoying - 11/17/2010 11:35:09 PM   
JudgeDredd

Nah - nothing in my spam folder either.

As I said above, I have found a faulty memory stick in my machine which was most likely the culprit...so unlikely (as already pointed out to me anyway) to be the Digital River link anyway. But I appreciate the seperate download link when it come. I've removed the faulty stick, so don't anticipate any problems when I download next time (touch wood)

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 28
RE: How annoying - 11/18/2010 12:58:06 AM   
thewood1

Keep you hands off me!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 29
RE: How annoying - 11/18/2010 1:03:43 AM   
junk2drive

Over here we say knock on wood. Wood would say don't knock it till you try it. He said wood, he he.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Tech Support >> How annoying Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI